Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Megalodon could it still be around...

Celticfan34

Do any of you think that the Shark could still exist, I think it iis a real possibly mainly because of how not much of the ocean has been explored and that they have no bones so finding a dead one would be close to impossible.

Edited by Celticfan34

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Celticfan34

• Conspiracy

• marduk

• Commander CMG

Carcharocles megalodon

(CAR CAR O CLEEZ MEG A LO DON)

Description: Fish

Specimen location: Florida

Name Means: Sharp pointed tooth

This specimen represents the largest species of shark. The huge jaw cam from the mouth of a 50 foot, 50 ton monster shark that lived about 20 million years ago and became extinct just 1.5 million years ago!

user posted image

user posted image

Megalodons are only known because of their fossilized teeth, because a shark's bones are made of cartilage and do not fossilize.

There are threads on this already.....use the search function and don't repost guys...nothing new to see here really....

Nice tooth pic ForRizzle tongue.gif

Do any of you think that the Shark could still exist, I think it iis a real possibly mainly because of how not much of the ocean has been explored and that they have no bones so finding a dead one would be close to impossible.

546551[/snapback]

Look how long it took to find the Titanic and they knew the course that was on?

all i know is that im never gonna go to a beach at a ocean again if that thing is still livin xD who needs to worry about great whites..? id worry about that thing!!! lol

hmm.gif megalodon fin soup anyone? tongue.giflaugh.gifwink2.gif

if anyone is thinking about food supply, how about whales now? or even giant squid?

DO you believe the theory that states it went into deeper waters some people believe that I find it could be because of the food down their Giant squids could be a thing on their diet.

We can't get to them. Firstly, giant squids are VERY rare. I don't think any have ever been caught, dead or alive.

Secondly, they probably live way down in the sea, much deeper. We cannot get there until technology permits us.

DO you believe the theory that states it went into deeper waters some people believe that I find it could be because of the food down their Giant squids could be a thing on their diet.

547069[/snapback]

The theory that they went into deeper waters...?

why would they do that

Besides that theory is taken from a book

which is a work of fiction.

I think it was called "Meg"

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display...l?0-553-57910-X

hehehe

The megalodon died out along with its food supply.

Sorry

Largest Great White on record was 35 feet long though and i'm not talking about the one from jaws. I'm talking about the one that was found dead in an anti torpedo net at an australian navy harbour over 30 years ago

Don't expect to find anything about it with Google, I can't

I just have to rely on the testimony of five people that were there.

user posted image

so heres a picture of a baby 22 footer to be going on with (same size as Jaws)

Since the dawn of life the earths surface has been radically changing, creating new environments and with it, new evolutions of life on earth.

However, the oceans and deep depths of the world have remains radically unchanged since they were formed, which means that there is no real reason why creatures that existed millions of years ago could not still be swimming down there.

The depths we're talking about are still impossible for us to access, they make the Titanic look like it's sitting in a shallow reef. What ancient wonders and monstrosities lurk down there could be unimaginable. They would have to be huge to stand up to the awesome force of that much pressure.

I don't believe it is around anymore. It would have been seen. If it hunts whales, it would seen near the coastlines of the world. If it hunts the giant squid we would still see the Meg. We do see sperm whales. A fish the size of meg would need real meat. It would've attacked ships it thought were prey.

I want it to be alive. But I don't believe anymore.

some guy while he was fishing he saw a shark swim up to his boat and he swore it was longer than the boat and the boat was 75 feet long, also the shark was pure white, sort of creepy

I don't believe it is around anymore. It would have been seen.

Untrue. Just because humans haven't seen something (which has scientific evidence backing to it, we're not talking about bogey men or invisible beings who create planets) doesn't mean it doesn't exist. New species are being found all the time, and considering only something like 2% of the ocean has been explored, the claim that only the species we have seen exist is, no offense, stupid.

Sure, it has tons of room to swim and hide. You can't say it cannot exist untill you've explored the other 98% of the ocean.

Sperm whales breath air they have to come up for air so we would see them, sharks don't.

The story of the shark is here.

Monster encounter

Has one already appeared? Contained in Ellis's chapter on Megalodon is quite an amazing sighting report from Australia. It is taken from David G. Stead's Sharks and Rays of Australian Seas, published in 1963. Here is the now-classic monster encounter, in Stead's words:

In the year 1918 I recorded the sensation that had been caused among the "outside" crayfish men at Port Stephens, when, for several days, they refused to go to sea to their regular fishing grounds in the vicinity of Broughton Island.

The men had been at work on the fishing grounds--which lie in deep water--when an immense shark of almost unbelievable proportions put in an appearance, lifting pot after pot containing many crayfishes, and taking, as the men said, "pots, mooring lines and all."

Good-sized

These crayfish pots, it should be mentioned, were about 3 feet 6 inches in diameter and frequently contained from two to three dozen good-sized crayfish each weighing several pounds.

The men were all unanimous that this shark was something the like of which they had never dreamed of. In company with the local Fisheries Inspector I questioned many of the men very closely and they all agreed as to the gigantic stature of the beast.

But the lengths they gave were, on the whole, absurd. I mention them, however, as an indication of the state of mind which this unusual giant had thrown them into. And bear in mind that these were men who were used to the sea and all sorts of weather, and all sorts of sharks as well.

The water "boiled"

One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet long at least"! Others said it was as long as the wharf on which we stood--about 115 feet! They affirmed that the water "boiled" over a large space when the fish swam past. They were all familiar with whales, which they had often seen passing at sea, but this was a vast shark.

They had seen its terrible head which was "at least as long as the roof on the wharf shed at Nelson's Bay." Impossible, of course! But these were prosaic and rather stolid men, not given to 'fish stories' nor even to talking about their catches.

Further, they knew that the person they were talking to (myself) had heard all the fish stories years before! One of the things that impressed me was that they all agreed as to the ghostly whitish color of the vast fish".

Traumatic experience

Stead apparently believed the fishermen were telling the truth (and that they may have witnessed a living Megalodon) and another thing in favor of their credibility is that they did not return to sea for days even though they lost their wages and some of them had to seek help for the apparently traumatic experience.

In his 1989 book There Are Giants in the Sea, BBC film producer and wildlife author Michael Bright concludes his sea-monster volume with mention of the giant fish:

"Imagine the shock when scientists dredging the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, earlier this century, discovered two 10 cm. (4 in.) long Megalodon teeth that can only be described as geologically "fresh." A gigantic shark

One tooth was estimated to be 24,000 years old, roughly the time of the Lascaux cave paintings. The other was just 11,000 years old and therefore belonged to a gigantic shark that swam in the Pacific Ocean at the same time as man was migrating from Asia into North America. Could this enormous predator still be lurking in the ocean depths?". People why could they not still exist 11,000 seems like a long time but its really not. The promblem is we do not have a sub that can withstand the pressure of the depths needed to get that deep basically it would be really costly and no one is forking over the cash.

Edited by Celticfan34

The theory of moving to deeper water has been around longer then the book The discovery of hydrothermal vents (1977) and life forms at the bottom of the deepest parts of the ocean leave the possibility that some Megalodon may have survived by inhabiting these deeper, unexplored waters. The water is still warm in these ares and the Megalodon is said to have needed warmer water. This is miles under the surface the promblem is that some believe if it came to the surface it would die from the lower temperture.

maybe it adapted to create alot of heat to survive or something so thats why the water boiled

i'm not sure wether it wud be good for this thing to exist as much as i pray it does........ blink.gif

Just found this though it was cool, In the mid-1950s, the cutter ship Rachel Cohen was returning from a fishing trip off the coast of South Australia. Suddenly, the boat made an abrupt, erratic movement. The crew believed at first that they had crashed into a floating tree, but when the ship docked they discovered 5-inch-long teeth, similar to those of a great white, stuck in the keel of the ship. Another thing I was just wondering was whos to say boat attacks where no one lives were not caused by these sharks I believe they could be attacking ships more the the alien abduption idea or time portals.

http://www.tellmewhereonearth.com/Web%20Pa...c_megalodon.jpg

Shows size of tooth to person.

IN one sence it does still exist. They're a bit smaller but whites are an evolutionary descendant of megladon. There is in fact evidence that sharks are out there far bigger then we imagine. Judging by bite marks found on some whales its possible great whites can grow to 40 feet or even larger. As to not finding them the oceans are a gigantic place. For centuries the only evidence any one had of the existence of giant squid was sucker marks on whales and dead bodies that the occasional ship found or washed up on shore most of which decayed before a scientist could make a proper identification. Quite recently they did finally see a handful of large ones. Also of all the species of shark Great Whites are the leeast understood. We don't know if they give birth to live young or lay eggs(some species of shark give birth life some don't), we don't know how long they live for and heck they are closer to warm blooded then cold(there body temperature does change as the water around them does but the changes are considerably smaller then a normal cold blooded creature)

The being cold bloooded thing is true I also read that tsharks learn to eat less the father down they are so they wouldnt need as much food as a whale the same size. and what ive heard Great Whites are basically Megalodons but smaller and a different coloreration

but im not sure.

on an semi related story, bullsharks have been know to smash through the sides of boats to sink them and eat the people inside