Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Liger Pics on National Geagraphic

Bone_Collector

Very good pics, I thought I'll share...

Oops...Geographic misspelt in the topic title, my BAD. grin2.gif

Link

post-10488-1124432821_thumb.jpg

post-10488-1124432830_thumb.jpg

post-10488-1124432933_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bone_Collector

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robbieb

• Raptor

• enslavedbydragons

• Bone_Collector

As big as a lion, they weigh about a thousand pounds (450 kilograms) each and typically devour 50 pounds (23 kilograms) of raw meat in a meal.

Isn`t ligers way bigger than any lion, thats what i have heard about them?

They are truly a magnificent animals too bad all ligers are presumed to be born sterile.

http://graphics1.snopes.com/photos/animals...hics/liger3.jpg

w00t.gif No lion is that big!

The Ligers are incredible to be sure, however:

There is already a Liger thread which has already been merged with another Liger thread.

Click Here

Edited by joc

That Liger is beautiful. A very fasinating creature. yes.gif

a Liger is bigger then both a tiger and a lion. It gets the growth gene from both parents, and no gene to tell them to stop growing.

Or something of that sort.

I want one! tongue.gif

Liger

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"Hobbs", a liger

The liger is a cross (a hybrid) between a male lion and a female tiger. It is therefore a member of genus Panthera. It looks like a giant lion with diffused stripes. Like tigers (and unlike lions), ligers like swimming.

A cross between a male tiger and a female lion is called a tigon.

Known ligers exist due to human influence, either by deliberate human intervention, or by humans putting lions and tigers in enclosed spaces together. In natural conditions tigers and lions generally do not inhabit the same territory - the two species coexist in the wild today only in the Gir forest of India, although their respective ranges used to intersect in Persia, China and perhaps also Beringia. Even where they do coexist, there have been no confirmed reports of natural interbreeding, though there are long-standing claims that this has happened.

Ligers grow much larger than tigers or lions and it is believed this is because female lions transmit a growth-inhibiting gene to their descendants to balance the growth-promoting gene transmitted by male lions (this gene is due to competitive mating strategies in lions). Being the offspring of a male lion and female tiger, the liger inherits the growth-promoting gene, but does not have the growth-inhibiting gene and typically grows larger than either animal; this is called growth dysplasia. Some male ligers grow sparse manes.

The liger featured in the photograph is named Hobbs and lives at Sierra Safari Zoo, Reno, Nevada, USA. He is the offspring of an African lion and a Bengal tigress. According to the zoo, "He roars like a lion and swims like a tiger. He's definitely all cat. He likes to play, and for all his incredible bulk he moves just as silently as any other cat". He is estimated to weigh about 450 kilograms (approximately 1000 pounds), about twice the average for male Siberian tigers, the largest non-extinct, naturally-occurring member of family Felidae.

Male ligers are sterile. Female ligers are often fertile and can be mated to a tiger resulting in ti-liger offspring or to a lion resulting in li-liger offspring.

There is a four-year-old liger on display at Barefoot Landing in North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA.

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

Edited by Stoney_McPot

The liger........nature's pure zoologist manufactured organism of lion and tiger feline origins with characteristics of mother and father, as well as some made by accident.........sorta like having kids

devil.gif

a Liger is bigger then both a tiger and a lion. It gets the growth gene from both parents, and no gene to tell them to stop growing.

Or something of that sort.

799107[/snapback]

You forgot to mention that its bred for its skills in magic!

Sorry...couldn't resist...

Napoleon Dynamite is a great movie....

Ligers are sooo awsome! I want one!

when I first read it, I almost expected to hear about Naploleon Dynamite.

799058[/snapback]

Ligers are bred for their magic.

user posted image

[edit] sad.gif beaten

Edited by riotboy555

This is just a wonderful animal, It's to bad they themselves are not able to reproduce, But since they need ten times the amount of food as their parents, I guess nature knows what it is doing. original.gif

Actually I red recently that ligers have a 90% chance to be sterile. So that means it is possible for them to live a non sterile life cycle. Hell one day they could be a natural born creature between one liger and another.

They are huge. And i heard they can breed, something about breeding it with a lion makes a li-li or something like that. hmm.gif

799058[/snapback]

Ligers are bred for their magic.

user posted image

[edit] sad.gif beaten

799942[/snapback]

...I've never seen this movie, but please someone tell me...WHAT THE HECK?!

Male ligers are sterile. Female ligers are often fertile and can be mated to a tiger resulting in ti-liger offspring or to a lion resulting in li-liger offspring.

They are huge.  And i heard they can breed, something about breeding it with a lion makes a li-li or something like that. hmm.gif

Too Much Crossbreeding don't you think? laugh.gif

Ligers are so beautiful; we have two in our zoo across the street from my house.

799058[/snapback]

Well, they are bred for their abilities in magic.

EDIT: Damn, beaten. sad.gif

Edited by Occam