Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Why do we have nightmares?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#16    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postsgroclkc, on 25 February 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

All nightmares are caused by palpitations ,nightmare has nothing to do with during REM sleep.

How can you say nightmares have nothing to do with REM sleep?  If someone was dreaming(so generally during REM stage sleep)something unpleasant, then this tends to be classed as a nightmare. So I dont understand how you could say nightmares having nothing to do with REM sleep considering thats the stage of sleep they are mainly occuring in.

Anyway maybe some nightmares come about from palpitations but I doubt all nightmares come from that. I watched a horror movie the other night for example before bed and had a nightmare of being cut up into little pieces for what like felt hours(like going through a wire mesh). It was so long that I ended up getting used to it, it was one of those dreams you cant get out of and just keep dreaming. And I hadnt had any nightmares during the week or for quite some time(I dont remember a nightmare before it) so it seems to point to the movie that triggered it.

And after that dream on the same night I went lucid and flew around in a cross position(for some reason) saying "Ariel" and the one time I mispronounced the name I fell from the sky. And when I corrected myself and pronounced it correctly again, I flew back up into the air.

So I'm not sure how that all fits in with this view(from the OP). But yes I can understand how the body can create certain dreams.

Edited by Kazahel, 26 February 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#17    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I don't know any of the science behind it, I just know some of the worst nightmares I have had happened when pregnant and they were always involving the loss of my unborn baby in some horrible shocking way :(  I guess when you are pregnant that is the worst fears just coming out??

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,984 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

My dreams are all much the same, and maybe someone has a notion what it is about me that makes them that way.  Nothing really happens in them except I move around in them (not walking -- more like gliding).  I'm always somewhere nice -- in a castle, a park, on the beach, a garden, a quiet street, some village somewhere.  If there are other people we smile or nod at each other but don't talk.  Never anywhere or anyone I recognize.

Since I only remember the ones I wake up afterward, this usually goes on for awhile and then I wake up.  I suppose other dreams are much the same but I don't wake up.

#19    Kazahel

Kazahel

Government Agent

• 3,985 posts

• What need is there of seeing, in the presence of His gratitude?

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

I don't know any of the science behind it, I just know some of the worst nightmares I have had happened when pregnant and they were always involving the loss of my unborn baby in some horrible shocking way :(  I guess when you are pregnant that is the worst fears just coming out??

Yeah probably. Most of my nightmares over the years(when I do experience them), are of losing my son in a crowd and trying to find him. Things like this. That tends to be my greatest fear I suppose.

#20    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I disagree with the op very much. There is so much more to dreaming. Thee is an interesting documentary on Netflix about dreaming. Dreaming is probably  apart of our very processing of information, exploring and planning for future events and practicing survival skills.. Fight or flight. Nightmares are our way of practicing our responses to danger. We run through virtual scenarios to prepare us for the real thing. Part of this is also processing negative infirmation. This is why those with PTSD have nightmares a lot... They have got a lot to process and their subconscious wants to prepare them to face those conditions again.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#21    sgroclkc

sgroclkc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 26 February 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare, drugs can cause  nightmare because drugs can cause palpitation. Females are easier to have nightmare than males, because palpitation is easier occur to females than to males. Women have a huge amount of nightmares during pregnancy because women experience more palpitations in pregnancy. Physical factors that contribute to bad dreams include fever as also sleep because fever causes an increase in the heart rate,

#22    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postsgroclkc, on 26 February 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare, drugs can cause  nightmare because drugs can cause palpitation. Females are easier to have nightmare than males, because palpitation is easier occur to females than to males. Women have a huge amount of nightmares during pregnancy because women experience more palpitations in pregnancy. Physical factors that contribute to bad dreams include fever as also sleep because fever causes an increase in the heart rate,
bull**** site your source and I'll shred it to unremarkable peices. Your researches probably never considered that nightmares cause palpatations.............. Statistical corolation people.... Please!!!!!!!

http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Palpitation

You know... The old adage that your heart skipped a beat. :shrug

Edited by Seeker79, 26 February 2013 - 11:39 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#23    sgroclkc

sgroclkc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 26 February 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

This is why those with PTSD have nightmares a lot... They have got a lot to process and their subconscious wants to prepare them to face those conditions again.
All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare. Those with PTSD have nightmares a lot , because people who suffer from PTSD  have physical reactions such as heart palpitations.

#24    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,984 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:47 AM

You don't persuade anyone by just making assertions.  It seems reasonable that there is an association between palpitations and a bad dream, but to say that all nightmares have this as the cause needs better support.

#25    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,069 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

View Postsgroclkc, on 27 February 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare. Those with PTSD have nightmares a lot , because people who suffer from PTSD  have physical reactions such as heart palpitations.
Haha are nightmares caused by palpitations or do nightmares cause palatations. Show me the design of the experiment please, my guess is there is no control for this ;)

You are in china...,right?

Edited by Seeker79, 27 February 2013 - 05:09 AM.

Bruce Lee-

#26    Rocketgirl

Rocketgirl

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

• "I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
    -Rocketgirl

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

I don't know why we have nightmares. What I do know is that I have some pretty bad nightmares sometimes. The things I end up dreaming about could be my worst fears I don't know, I just know that I don't like them. When I'm not having nightmares I end up having cool, far out dreams about being on other planets.Those good dreams are my kind of dreams.

"I envy the dead for they do not have to see how the world is changing for the worst."
-Rocketgirl

"Try to change the world for the better, if you fail keep trying. Always aim for that impact of change in a positive way."
-Rocketgirl

#27    sgroclkc

sgroclkc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 26 February 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

bull**** site your source and I'll shred it to unremarkable peices. Your researches probably never considered that nightmares cause palpatations.............. Statistical corolation people.... Please!!!!!!!

http://en.m.wikipedi...iki/Palpitation

You know... The old adage that your heart skipped a beat. :shrug
Dreams are the reactions of the objective things in the minds. For instance, flying dreams or  falling dreams are caused by premature heart beat. You have the same flying dream over and over because you have the same premature heart beat over and over.

#28    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:04 AM

But how do you define if one dream is a nightmare or not...? I've dreamed about being chase, attacked or even killed alot; but then again, I have the capability to question whether the current event is a dream or reality. So I can beat the crap out of demons, ghosts, attacker I encounter.
I didn't feel fear for a long long time. Even if I wake up in the middle of the so called "nightmare" there is none palpitation.

ps: flying is peaceful and relaxing, it's a learnable ability, once you know a trigger to it, you can use it freely in any dream or AP or OBE

Edited by FlyingAngel, 28 February 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#29    sgroclkc

sgroclkc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Sleeping pills are the treatment of nightmare of being chased of neurasthenia, due to the nightmare of being chased of such patients is caused by tachycardia, and sleeping pills can lead to slower heartbeat, moreover slower heartbeat sometimes leads to sleep paralysis or fainting for people of low blood pressure. Therefore, treating a nightmare with sleeping pills at times is not only invalid, but also it will instead increase the patient's state of the disease.

Sleeping pills are the treatment of nightmare of being chased of neurasthenia, due to the nightmare of being chased of such patients is caused by tachycardia, and sleeping pills can lead to slower heartbeat, moreover slower heartbeat sometimes leads to sleep paralysis or fainting for people of low blood pressure. Therefore, treating a nightmare with sleeping pills at times is not only invalid, but also it will instead increase the patient's state of the disease.

#30    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Well, anyone who knows the Chinese as only a human being i.e. not a scientist, can know them, would be able to predict their attitude to dreams.  As to science, the understanding of dreams is way beyond its capabilities.  I will not repeat my reasons here, for I have just posted them in "What is the reality of science?".

Dreams are meaningful, but that is beyond the scope of this comment.  Nightmares are frightening because they highlight things that frighten you and are causing you problems in reality -- you have to be able to understand metaphors, however, if you are to make sense of them.  But nightmares recur because of the emotionalism.  If you want to get rid of recurrent nightmares, get the emotions under control --- just laugh at them, call them nonsense, and keep doing that and the fear will subside, and so will the nightmares.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users