Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we have nightmares?

sgroclkc

For a long time, due to the ignorance of physiological knowledge of lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting, heart palpitations, and so on,, psychological illusion in people’s sleep generated by such physical symptoms i.e the nightmares , flying dream and falling dream really has puzzled the psychologists,  One without flying experience in the daytime would dream of flying; One without falling experience in the daytime would dream of falling; one without terrible experience in the daytime would have terrible nightmares. Such examples are the major evidence for Freud and other oneiromancy masters to prove the causes of dreams are very complex and that dreams have special meaning. They are also the major cause why countless people believe various ridiculous oneiromancy theories with mysterious color put forward by Freud and other oneiromancy masters. But, the latest researches of Chinese scientists show these dreams are of no any special meaning and the causes of dreams are very simple, viz. they are the reactions of the objective things in the minds. As Germany’s well-known psychologist William Wundt’s view of “the most common causes of the dream are indigestion, heart pulsation(palpitations or flustered),difficulity in breathing, aswell as such symptoms.” For instance, students dreaming the examination before the pre-examination, is caused by the things about examination. The sense of urgent urination would give rise to the dream of looking for the toilet. In a cold night, thin quilt would cause one to dream the clothes are socked by water and thus make him/her feel cold. Similarly, the nightmares are mainly caused by several palpitation feelings . When palpitations occurs, people will have two most common feelings: one is tachycardia cause a feeling of seeming to be chasing ; the other is bradycardia or premature beat cause the feeling of heart suspension or heart sinking. Therefore, people in sleep accordingly will have the two most common nightmares : one is dream of being chased (occasionally hunting other people) ; the other is dream of flying in the air or dream of falling down.

Edited by sgroclkc
  • Like 1

Perhaps nightmares are a gift to us from a benevolent deity to remind us that the world of s**t we wake up to every morning isn't as bad as the world of s**t we've just left behind in our dreams!

s1398.gif

• Like 6

Thats interesting Iv had nightmares pretty much every night from the age of 16

• Like 1

The current research regarding dreams is sketchy. We dream at any stage of sleep although most during REM sleep and REM sleep itself varies in duration throughout the night. What we experience, particularly traumatic events, can have a profound impact on our dreams as can such elements as alcohol and drugs. But, from a therapeutic perspective, we can alter our dreams. Image rehearsal training (IRT), for example, is a process of rescripting nightmares into more pleasant dreams by literally rewriting the part of the dream that is unpleasant and practicing the new script during waking hours.

The current research regarding dreams is sketchy. We dream at any stage of sleep although most during REM sleep and REM sleep itself varies in duration throughout the night. What we experience, particularly traumatic events, can have a profound impact on our dreams as can such elements as alcohol and drugs. But, from a therapeutic perspective, we can alter our dreams. Image rehearsal training (IRT), for example, is a process of rescripting nightmares into more pleasant dreams by literally rewriting the part of the dream that is unpleasant and practicing the new script during waking hours.

All nightmares are caused by palpitations ,nightmare has nothing to do with during REM sleep.

I must not have palpitations, whatever those things are, cause I don't have nightmares. Sometimes I dream I am doing a kind of flying but that is most pleasant. Usually I just dream a nice place, but nothing much happens except I walk around and take it in.

All nightmares are caused by palpitations ,nightmare has nothing to do with during REM sleep.

Isn't it possible that palpitations during sleep are caused by nightmares?

• Like 6

When I was younger and use to have sleepovers with my cousins at my grandmas house, they all use to say what they were gonna dream about, like they could control it. I never said what I was going to dream about because I dont think you can control the dream world....especially at that young of an age.

Why do some dreams have to be nightmares? I have been killed and toture in some dreams but I don't see them as nightmares, just dreams.

If one does not want to dream in a certain way then one should learn to control their dreams. Easier said than done.

Fears aren't there for us to just fear them, nor for us to open ourselves all vulnerable to them. Nor for us to keep running from them. Fears are for us to surpass them. It's a process of growing up. Some may be traumas, but then it's just a bigger and bigger step for you. Size changes, the principle stays the same.

Edited by Mikko-kun
  • Like 1

A webpage about Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences.

Physiological symptoms of sleep paralysis are the same with those of syncope. Thus, sleep paralysis is caused by syncope. For experts in cardiovascular diseases, sleep paralysis or syncope is a common symptoms of cardiovascular disease【1】. For a long time, due to the ignorance of physiological knowledge of syncope , ischemie cerebrale ,palpitations and so on, psychological illusion in people’s sleep generated by such physical symptoms i.e. the nightmare really has puzzled the psychologists, therefore they put forward a wide range of wrong even absurd views on the nightmares, which both have no scientific basis, and could not be confirmed, even more were not self-consistent. For example, a medical expert Debacke drew the correct conclusion that the anxiety-dream resulted from ischemie cerebrale according to the physiological symptoms of the anxiety-dream of a boy of thirteen. Freud called such view was a " medical mythology" in the book of Dream Psychology. Most important,the experiment confirmed the idea. For example, a place in country , there is a "haunted" bed which makes people have sleep paralysis or syncope every night, and it is this fact that the pillow in the bed is too high will reduce cerebral blood flow.                                         【1】 http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Sleep-Disorders/Nocturnal-fainting/show/11612

Edited by sgroclkc

All nightmares are caused by palpitations (...)

Under what evidence can you be certain that dreams are caused by heart palpitations? You are establishing a direct causal link, but I'm curious as to under what grounds.

I don't think it is possible.

(^ regarding nightmares causing heart palpitations) Considering that nightmares often provoke a 'fight or flight' response, adrenaline is often released which in turn can cause heart palpitations, I have to disagree. May I ask what is your logic for disagreeing with this statement?

Not meaning to rip you apart, just curious :)

• Like 1

How can you say nightmares have nothing to do with REM sleep? If someone was dreaming(so generally during REM stage sleep)something unpleasant, then this tends to be classed as a nightmare. So I dont understand how you could say nightmares having nothing to do with REM sleep considering thats the stage of sleep they are mainly occuring in.

Anyway maybe some nightmares come about from palpitations but I doubt all nightmares come from that. I watched a horror movie the other night for example before bed and had a nightmare of being cut up into little pieces for what like felt hours(like going through a wire mesh). It was so long that I ended up getting used to it, it was one of those dreams you cant get out of and just keep dreaming. And I hadnt had any nightmares during the week or for quite some time(I dont remember a nightmare before it) so it seems to point to the movie that triggered it.

And after that dream on the same night I went lucid and flew around in a cross position(for some reason) saying "Ariel" and the one time I mispronounced the name I fell from the sky. And when I corrected myself and pronounced it correctly again, I flew back up into the air.

So I'm not sure how that all fits in with this view(from the OP). But yes I can understand how the body can create certain dreams.

Edited by Kazahel
  • Like 1

I don't know any of the science behind it, I just know some of the worst nightmares I have had happened when pregnant and they were always involving the loss of my unborn baby in some horrible shocking way :( I guess when you are pregnant that is the worst fears just coming out??

My dreams are all much the same, and maybe someone has a notion what it is about me that makes them that way. Nothing really happens in them except I move around in them (not walking -- more like gliding). I'm always somewhere nice -- in a castle, a park, on the beach, a garden, a quiet street, some village somewhere. If there are other people we smile or nod at each other but don't talk. Never anywhere or anyone I recognize.

Since I only remember the ones I wake up afterward, this usually goes on for awhile and then I wake up. I suppose other dreams are much the same but I don't wake up.

I don't know any of the science behind it, I just know some of the worst nightmares I have had happened when pregnant and they were always involving the loss of my unborn baby in some horrible shocking way :( I guess when you are pregnant that is the worst fears just coming out??

Yeah probably. Most of my nightmares over the years(when I do experience them), are of losing my son in a crowd and trying to find him. Things like this. That tends to be my greatest fear I suppose.

I disagree with the op very much. There is so much more to dreaming. Thee is an interesting documentary on Netflix about dreaming. Dreaming is probably apart of our very processing of information, exploring and planning for future events and practicing survival skills.. Fight or flight. Nightmares are our way of practicing our responses to danger. We run through virtual scenarios to prepare us for the real thing. Part of this is also processing negative infirmation. This is why those with PTSD have nightmares a lot... They have got a lot to process and their subconscious wants to prepare them to face those conditions again.

• Like 3

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare, drugs can cause  nightmare because drugs can cause palpitation. Females are easier to have nightmare than males, because palpitation is easier occur to females than to males. Women have a huge amount of nightmares during pregnancy because women experience more palpitations in pregnancy. Physical factors that contribute to bad dreams include fever as also sleep because fever causes an increase in the heart rate,

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare, drugs can cause  nightmare because drugs can cause palpitation. Females are easier to have nightmare than males, because palpitation is easier occur to females than to males. Women have a huge amount of nightmares during pregnancy because women experience more palpitations in pregnancy. Physical factors that contribute to bad dreams include fever as also sleep because fever causes an increase in the heart rate,

bull**** site your source and I'll shred it to unremarkable peices. Your researches probably never considered that nightmares cause palpatations.............. Statistical corolation people.... Please!!!!!!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palpitation

You know... The old adage that your heart skipped a beat. :shrug

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 2

This is why those with PTSD have nightmares a lot... They have got a lot to process and their subconscious wants to prepare them to face those conditions again.

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare. Those with PTSD have nightmares a lot , because people who suffer from PTSD have physical reactions such as heart palpitations.

You don't persuade anyone by just making assertions. It seems reasonable that there is an association between palpitations and a bad dream, but to say that all nightmares have this as the cause needs better support.

• Like 1

All nightmares are caused by palpitations. Persons who palpitation is easy to occur are easy to have nightmare. Those with PTSD have nightmares a lot , because people who suffer from PTSD have physical reactions such as heart palpitations.

Haha are nightmares caused by palpitations or do nightmares cause palatations. Show me the design of the experiment please, my guess is there is no control for this ;)

You are in china...,right?

Edited by Seeker79