Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Anyone catch Survivorman's Top 10 show?


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#46    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 12,035 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Let's throw a 3rd option in...I actually enjoy this show, as they both give good advice. And yes, it appears they have a camera crew, but to me, it is the education, not the action. The video may be a poor example of what they teach. They are great on staying warm, food, water, etc...

Dual Survival




Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#47    evancj

evancj

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:07 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern, UT

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:03 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

That's kind of the point, escape and get out.

Escape and evade, in my mind means someone is hunting you down to kill you or capture you. In this case the high risk techniques Bear demonstrates are an acceptable alternative to being captured or killed.  

Personally I will take the slow careful walk, and safest undramatic route off the mountain, rather than running down a scree slope, climbing down roots and falling off a cliff.

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

As far as being in shape, if you're an out of shape lard bucket then odds are you didn't have any business getting yourself into a situation like that to begin with, you can't save some people from themselves. If you decide to head out into the wildeness and you're not prepared.......and that includes being in a shape other than round...........then you need to stay at the campsite, near a cell phone where you can call for help.

What people should do and what they do, do (ha ha, I said doo-doo) are two different things. Fact of the matter is even out of shape  people can drive snowmobiles, and other vehicles out into the wilderness and get stuck, or broke down. Happens all the time.

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 01:03 AM, said:

Being out in the wildeness carries with it the chance of being put into a survival situation. Les has an approach and Bear has another, being ex-millitary myself I can relate to Bear better than I can Les.

I'm ex-military as well and I can relate to Bear just fine, but you know as well as I do, any time we did risky training we always had medics on site and medical EVACS standing by. Attempting to do some of the things Bear does on his show by yourself in the middle of nowhere with no one to help you if things go wrong is foolish in my opinion.


#48    evancj

evancj

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,767 posts
  • Joined:07 Sep 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Northern, UT

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostSakari, on 05 October 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Let's throw a 3rd option in...I actually enjoy this show, as they both give good advice. And yes, it appears they have a camera crew, but to me, it is the education, not the action. The video may be a poor example of what they teach. They are great on staying warm, food, water, etc...

Dual Survival




:w00t:

I saw that one...if I remember correctly the idiot ex-military guy actually cut himself on purpose and then pored gun powder on the wound and lit it on fire to close the wound.

They do have some great tips. It's an older Bear meets a hippie Les.


#49    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 12,035 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

View Postevancj, on 05 October 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

:w00t:

I saw that one...if I remember correctly the idiot ex-military guy actually cut himself on purpose and then pored gun powder on the wound and lit it on fire to close the wound.

They do have some great tips. It's an older Bear meets a hippie Les.


That is true, although this military guy does make it clear, save energy, stay dry, stay warm, avoid injuries at all costs.....Something Bear does not exactly lead by example in.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#50    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

Quote

I'm ex-military as well and I can relate to Bear just fine, but you know as well as I do, any time we did risky training we always had medics on site and medical EVACS standing by. Attempting to do some of the things Bear does on his show by yourself in the middle of nowhere with no one to help you if things go wrong is foolish in my opinion.

True, that's the difference between training and the real thing, in training you have a safety net, when it's real you're on your own. However, he goes through what real people in real situations encountered, most of the one he cites are the ones who didn't make it. Bottom line is if you're not up to what might happen then you need to stay home on the couch and watch TV.

Worst thing that can happen to you is to panic. Back in the day I was with some guys who were practicing for their map reading merit badges. So his Dad took us out and dropped us off in a relatively remote, it wasn't really but it was an area we we're all that familiar with, so following the map was important. Ok, so we head out and we're following his navigation. I was the Senior Patrol Leader and already had my merit badge so I was sort of the guy responsible for them. We hikes for nearly ten hours and I saw it would be dark soon and asked him when we were going to get to the location he'd planned for us to camp. He got this vacant look on his face, then sudden he freaked out and said he had the wrong map. Well this sent the third guy into his panic mode, completely freaked out and took off running in a dead panic. I told the one guy to sit down and stay put and I dropped my pack and went after guy number three. By the time I caught up with him he'd dropped his gear, striped off his coat and shirt and was so freaked out he couldn't respond to me calling him. I had to tackle his ass and slap the crap out of him to listen. So I finally got him under control but he was only a hairs breathe away from freaking out again.

I get him back and we gather up his stuff on the way back and we make camp. Then I looked at the map and told them we didn't have any problems. We'd followed the map in, all we had to do was follow the map in reverse to get out. Not only that but I'd made some mental notes of certain landmarks so getting back wasn't a big deal. Next morning we walked out, his Dad was waiting for us and all was well. However, it's a great example of how panic can screw the pouch.

Hey, you want to follow the Les method, knock yourself out. I'm not much for sitting around and waiting for help to arrive when all I have is me to be worried about.

Of course, I could have opted to set one of the guys on fire; dinner and a camp fire all in one operation.

Edited by keninsc, 05 October 2012 - 03:59 AM.


#51    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,140 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary Alberta Canada

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

View Postkeninsc, on 05 October 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

True, that's the difference between training and the real thing, in training you have a safety net, when it's real you're on your own. However, he goes through what real people in real situations encountered, most of the one he cites are the ones who didn't make it. Bottom line is if you're not up to what might happen then you need to stay home on the couch and watch TV.

Worst thing that can happen to you is to panic. Back in the day I was with some guys who were practicing for their map reading merit badges. So his Dad took us out and dropped us off in a relatively remote, it wasn't really but it was an area we we're all that familiar with, so following the map was important. Ok, so we head out and we're following his navigation. I was the Senior Patrol Leader and already had my merit badge so I was sort of the guy responsible for them. We hikes for nearly ten hours and I saw it would be dark soon and asked him when we were going to get to the location he'd planned for us to camp. He got this vacant look on his face, then sudden he freaked out and said he had the wrong map. Well this sent the third guy into his panic mode, completely freaked out and took off running in a dead panic. I told the one guy to sit down and stay put and I dropped my pack and went after guy number three. By the time I caught up with him he'd dropped his gear, striped off his coat and shirt and was so freaked out he couldn't respond to me calling him. I had to tackle his ass and slap the crap out of him to listen. So I finally got him under control but he was only a hairs breathe away from freaking out again.

I get him back and we gather up his stuff on the way back and we make camp. Then I looked at the map and told them we didn't have any problems. We'd followed the map in, all we had to do was follow the map in reverse to get out. Not only that but I'd made some mental notes of certain landmarks so getting back wasn't a big deal. Next morning we walked out, his Dad was waiting for us and all was well. However, it's a great example of how panic can screw the pouch.

Hey, you want to follow the Les method, knock yourself out. I'm not much for sitting around and waiting for help to arrive when all I have is me to be worried about.

Of course, I could have opted to set one of the guys on fire; dinner and a camp fire all in one operation.



So you like Rambo style survival vs common sence survival. I will go for common sence unless I`m running fron the taliban or the law.

edit I call bull on your so called story lol made for a good haha though. Letting go of your mommas hand can cause panic, good thing you were there ;)

Edited by The Silver Thong, 05 October 2012 - 04:14 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.


The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#52    Sakari

Sakari

    tohi

  • Member
  • 12,035 posts
  • Joined:16 Aug 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Safford, Arizona

  • Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 05 October 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

So you like Rambo style survival vs common sence survival. I will go for common sence unless I`m running fron the taliban or the law.

edit I call bull on your so called story lol made for a good haha though. Letting go of your mommas hand can cause panic, good thing you were there ;)


I agree 100%.

Although I can not really be in the discussion, as Kenninsc has me on ignore, I would like to say my father served in the US Army for 38 years, I have several friends that trained in the Marines, and a few in the Navy.....Nothing Kenninsc says is what a US trained serviceman would learn about survival.

My only credentials, 20 years of bow hunting, and my dad.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm


#53    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,140 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2004
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Calgary Alberta Canada

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

View PostSakari, on 05 October 2012 - 04:29 AM, said:

I agree 100%.

Although I can not really be in the discussion, as Kenninsc has me on ignore, I would like to say my father served in the US Army for 38 years, I have several friends that trained in the Marines, and a few in the Navy.....Nothing Kenninsc says is what a US trained serviceman would learn about survival.

My only credentials, 20 years of bow hunting, and my dad.


Follow Bears and you will get eaten, follow Les bears and you will not ;)

Edited by The Silver Thong, 05 October 2012 - 04:33 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.


The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#54    regeneratia

regeneratia

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,894 posts
  • Joined:20 Jun 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

  • It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

Other than NetFlix, Hulu, and Apple TV, I don't watch TV anymore. Cable box has been returned and cable reduced to the minimum levels.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#55    Grey14

Grey14

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Heart of America

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

View PostSakari, on 05 October 2012 - 01:36 AM, said:

Let's throw a 3rd option in...I actually enjoy this show, as they both give good advice. And yes, it appears they have a camera crew, but to me, it is the education, not the action. The video may be a poor example of what they teach. They are great on staying warm, food, water, etc...

Dual Survival




I actually do enjoy that show and they do have some good tips. Though I do think the guy that hardly wears shoes is a little wierd but he's still a good guy.

To Keninsc It is clear all you really want to do is sling insults at me, although I didnt get to see what got snipped in your post, So I will do myself a favor and just end our conversation. Think what you want cause honestly I couldn't care less if I tried. Peace :st

"The only thing Needed for the Truimph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

#56    supervike

supervike

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 5,446 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

I like all three of those survivial shows.  They are simply meant for entertainment.  I've never deluded myself further.


Back to the actual 'bigfoot' claim.

To be honest, that's the type of stuff that still makes me wonder.  The credible first hand accounts.   There are tons of just 'regular' folk that come forward with strange anecdotes like this and to me that is very intriguing.


#57    Hugo Stiglitz

Hugo Stiglitz

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • Man of The People

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostRafterman, on 29 September 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Bear Grylls mancrush noted.

I Respect the guy cause he clearly knows how to survive in bleak conditions,i just think his show is made up and he takes the helicopter out to sleep in a hotel whenever he's filming an episode.

"If you want to walk the Streets of Gold,you got to know the password, ROLL TIDE ROLL."
Paul "BEAR"Bryant

#58    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:20 PM

Well, it's TV......they're big on drama.

Do you really think Les doesn't have a safety net? Of course he does, it's TV.


#59    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

    BugWhisperer

  • Member
  • 4,699 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tejas

  • "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

I enjoy all three shows and learn something from all of them. They beat the usual TV fare, imo.

As far as Man v Wild I appreciate a show where a man takes off all of his clothes as opposed to the usual woman lol. But I completely agree with evancj that his feats are impossible for most. As a woman I could not do half of what he does when Bear even struggles.

I like Les the most. On one show Les said the animal he most feared encountering (in CA?) was a rutting bull moose.

The “Odd Couple” team is interesting as well.

I watched Man Woman Wild too. And there is a right and a wrong way to hold a coconut crab as my son learned recently. :o

As far as Les’ unexplained sounds he heard, I agree with keninsc. Bigfoot sounds are not described as being “monkey-like” but rather whoops and screams and whistles and chatter, not to mention the occasional English mimicry.

*Disclaimer* I never saw this episode just heard about it and saw clips: There was an episode where Bear jumped off a cliff into a river to throw his scent off a pursuing grizzly. When, all that happened, was a bear (?) touched his tent. I don’t think he even ever saw the bear. So maybe that was a bigfoot, they do like stroking tents according to bf enthusiasts. :)

As far as safety crews, I know Les and Bear have kids. I'd have a safety crew too. No TV show is worth that.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 05 October 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#60    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 05 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Quote

As far as safety crews, I know Les and Bear have kids. I'd have a safety crew too. No TV show is worth that.

My point exactly. They both used staged scenes to depict real things......because it's safer. I just personally like Bear's show better.

I think the rest of the guys hate him here because he has a cool English accent and he's able to do things I haven't been able to do for twenty years now.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users