Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bar serves cocktails in drinkers' jam jars

Still Waters

A bar has come up with a scheme to help the environment – inviting customers to drink their cocktails out of jam jars.

Customers at Time Bar in Leicester are being urged to drink their favourite tipple out of empty jars they can take into the trendy bar.

Barman Drew Mallins, 23, who is always on the lookout for new ways to be more "green", said today the idea had blossomed on a quiet Friday afternoon.

He said: "Some of us were making mojitos which, being from Cuba are quite a rustic drink anyway, and someone suggested we put them in some jam jars we had lying around.

"We took it from there really. The idea is that instead of throwing empty jam jars away at home, people can bring them in to drink from them.

"They can have whatever they want, whether it's beer, cocktails or just a Coke.

"It's a bit like a modern version of a tankard. Hopefully people will personalise their own jars and then they can leave them here and have their own one every time they come in.

"It'll help because it recycles glass, and we won't be buying new glasses."

More Here

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• sarah snow

• The Silver Thong

• Relle

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some pubs in Seattle that do this already ... but with a slightly different spin.

At most of the brew pubs around here you can pay a $30 membership fee and they engrave a beer glass for you, which is slighly larger than the standard bar glass, and you get $1.00 off each beer when you use your glass. (if you want, you can give your friends permission to use it as well) They keep your glass for you at the pub...

At one of the pubs I go to, if you don't use your glass for 3 months, they etch out the name and donate it to one of the missions or other charity.

There's also a little greasy spoon cafe up the street from my house, they've been there for more than 40 years. They're only open until 2pm every day and serve breakfast and lunch. I'm quite sure that they get all their silverware, glasses, and dishes from thrift stores. They're all mismatched, and some of their glasses are jelly jars. LOL. One morning I got my eggs and toast on a Wedgewood china plate, but I'm pretty sure that's the ONLY Wedgewood plate they have. LOL.

I don't know if it's greener, but it is kinda fun.

Yeeeeehahhhhhhh :lol:

Just cleared out all my cupboards....who's coming to the pub?? :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Alcohol is alcohol.....if they served me a cocktail out of a hat...i'd still drink it LMAO

:D

Just cleared out all my cupboards....who's coming to the pub?? :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Only if I can take my cookie jar...I like large ones LMAO :P

Only if I can take my cookie jar...I like large ones LMAO :P

No worries! Come on, get a wiggle on chickee...there's good supping time a-wasting :lol::lol::w00t:

Edited by sarah snow

Wait! I'm just getting my coat! oh, and I've rinsed out my 2ltr plastic milk container and grabbed a straw!! (you got any 'Real Ale' pubs near you????) :lol:

Wait! I'm just getting my coat! oh, and I've rinsed out my 2ltr plastic milk container and grabbed a straw!! (you got any 'Real Ale' pubs near you????) :lol:

Yes, they sell real ale in my local- you'll need yer coat cos it's blowing a hoolie out there (seafront wind brisk tonight, chaps...brrrrrr!!!!). But a real fire in my local so we'll be toasty very soon. Oooo..I love an impromtu trip to the pub....here we go :w00t::w00t:

Yes, they sell real ale in my local- you'll need yer coat cos it's blowing a hoolie out there (seafront wind brisk tonight, chaps...brrrrrr!!!!). But a real fire in my local so we'll be toasty very soon. Oooo..I love an impromtu trip to the pub....here we go :w00t::w00t:

Real fire, Real Ale, YEH!!! (could take me a while though, gotta paddle across the Irish Sea!!!) :lol:

Real fire, Real Ale, YEH!!! (could take me a while though, gotta paddle across the Irish Sea!!!) :lol:

Yeah, I love real ale too. I really enjoy when I go to places and try out their local tipples. It has to be done, be rude not to :lol::rofl:

Yeah, I love real ale too. I really enjoy when I go to places and try out their local tipples. It has to be done, be rude not to :lol::rofl:

If we can invite along another member from UM each, who would you like to invite? I'll invite Still Waters, seeing as this is her thread!

If we can invite along another member from UM each, who would you like to invite? I'll invite Still Waters, seeing as this is her thread!

Oh blimey, that's a toughie! I don't know many people that well so I'd have to choose either xCrimsonx or Thongy I guess- they both have me in stitches on here so suspect they'd be good company on our virtual pub outing. Nyx sounds like a good laugh too. Oooo...I'm not good with choices, typical female on that front :rofl:

Uh this really isnt new. at least the idea. I went to Roadhouse (dont know if its national/international) and I was served my CocaCola out of a jar. I thought it was really cool.

this was back in like '93

No worries! Come on, get a wiggle on chickee...there's good supping time a-wasting :lol::lol::w00t:

I'm already there lol

Uh this really isnt new. at least the idea.

We know...the story isn't all that interesting either....all the above post you have read,are done by those of us that are bored out of our tree's!!!!! :P

We know...the story isn't all that interesting either....all the above post you have read,are done by those of us that are bored out of our tree's!!!!! :P

*slurrrrp* *sluuuurp* *belch* oo, pardon me :blush:

I'm not bored- I'm drinking, so deffo not bored when there's beer about :devil:

*slurrrrp* *sluuuurp* *belch* oo, pardon me :blush:

I'm not bored- I'm drinking, so deffo not bored when there's beer about :devil:

"Set 'em up snow,

I'll be there in a mo!" (still paddling)

"Set 'em up snow,

I'll be there in a mo!" (still paddling)

All ready, matey!! :tu:

Bring us back some of those hedgehog flavoured crisps when you pass the bar will ya, chick? :devil:

Oi- BM- stop slacking and neck that pint!! :P

Oi- BM- stop slacking and neck that pint!! :P

*knocks it back in one...then another...and another*

*BURRRRP*........ :o wasn't me lol

*knocks it back in one...then another...and another*

*BURRRRP*........ :o wasn't me lol

better out, than in!!

post-58664-1232901337_thumb.jpg

post-78812-1232903408.gifOoooo....that was a ripper, BM. Way to go, girl post-78812-1232903386.gif

better out, than in!!

post-58664-1232901337_thumb.jpg

:lol: good one lol

post-78812-1232903408.gifOoooo....that was a ripper, BM. Way to go, girl post-78812-1232903386.gif

Well it was happy hour lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

:lol::lol: Thank goodness I'mm working at home tomorrow so can do my work in my jimjams is I need to ;)

Another round, chaps?? :lol::lol:

:lol::lol: Thank goodness I'mm working at home tomorrow so can do my work in my jimjams is I need to ;)

Another round, chaps?? :lol::lol:

Sheeeeeeez girl! You're gonna nip to the pub in your jimjams??! Me and BM'll keep you a seat.... hey, we'll be on the floor by then anyhow!!!!! :lol:

I'm not with these girls...I've never met them before......they just keep giving me drink *shrugs* :unsure2:

:w00t: lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom