Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elephants are Forming "Armies"...

Richdog

I have just been watching a program on TV that was talking about a fascinating and to be quite frank frightening development in the world of elephants.

In Northern India India elephants are forming groups and actively seeking out and attacking/killing people, raiding villages and causing as much chaos as they can. Now one would presume quite rightly that they are hungry and in search of food... but this is actually rarely the case.

Bull elephants are going into villages mostly at night and ignoring the food to find sleeping people and trample them or beat them to death. They are hunting humans.

The experts said that basically elephants are sick of having territory taken from them, being forced out of habitat, treated cruelly etc and are basically saying "we've had enough enough of this, time to fight back".

While this may be a bit hard to accept for some, it is apparently very true. Because elephants are so intelligent and have such long and clear memories they have built up an intense hatred of humankind during the last couple of generations, as they have watched large areas of habitat deforested. Elephants also are subject to huge testosterone surges, which makes them quite literally go completely crazy... beyond rage... in groups this is quite literally a massive force of destruction... villages are decimated.

Northern India is not an isolated case though... wild elephant populations around the world are starting to exhibit similar behaviour... devestating private farms and attacking field workers on sight.

You have to admit... elephants actively going out and killing humans not only for reasons of hunger... but for pre-meditated, calculated strikes... is pretty scary. :unsure:

Googled some pages... http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=na...cking+villagers

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Koume

• frogfish

• Talon

I saw this today but couldn't find an article to post. I agree, I hope they win. As long as they spare the good of humanity, anyway. :yes:

Strangely reminiscent of a sci-fi film I once saw. Is it possible other animal's could do the same? I don't mean form an alliance with the elephants or anything (:P) but just start attacking the 'threat' (humans)?

(The movie "The Birds" comes to mind. :blink: ) Lets hope this is not a trend.

0.O Perhaps we vegetarians werent doing an adequate job of speaking for our so called "voiceless" friends? I must admit, This is a Damned if you do Damned if you dont situation. I cant simply say to kill the elephants (as I would if a wild animal did attack me, Thats simply nature) Because there simply trying to take back what was theres for millenia before we decided we wanted it..

Either way a frightening development.

Well good for them....

So how long till Elephants are wiped off the planet?

i read a book on a killer elephant. let me see the book is call....hmmm can't recall...but it took place in india...i feel sad for the elephants after reading this book.

That's interesting, I wonder if dolphins will ever do the same :)

Nothing to fear of course, if it got too severe and we went to war with the elephants, we would win in just a couple of weeks...We're just too good at making speicies extinct for us to lose :)

And? We've been killing them for thousands of years so we can hardly complain if they feel its time to fight back. Unlike them, humans are not endangered.

Poor elephants? Poor elephants?!?! Poor us! They killed dozens of people!

yes, they've killed dozens yet including mammoths were've killed millions, i think the numbers speak for themselves i have no pity for the africans/indians/others, its their own fault for hunting elephants for ivory even knowing their endangered

Edited by evil_kenshin

Hurray! This pleases me.

yes, they've killed dozens yet including mammoths were've killed millions, i think the numbers speak for themselves i have no pity for the africans/indians/others, its their own fault for hunting elephants for ivory even knowing their endangered

Wow, I can't believe you said that! :no: I can understand you meaning potures looking for trohpies...but most of these races hunted elephants for food and survival.

Even if you are hunting it for food, thats no excuse for hunting an endangered animal. As an endangered animal it has the right to be left alone

And don't kid yourself, elephants are killed for their tusks not food. Rangers find dead elephants which are completely untouched barring for the tusks all the time. There are far easier animals to kill that elephants. We're talking about India here, they have massive amounts of poverty, but they aren't cave people, they don't hunt elephants because they need the bones to make shelter like they may have done a few thousand years ago.

I dunno where you get your info... but it's been centuries since elephants have been hunted for food and shelter. They've been hunted for their tusks *ONLY* for people who want ivory things. Like with the Rhinos.

*basicaly agreeing with Talon*

Yeah, maybe the elephants are ripping out some molars on their way through as pay back.

I don't blame animals for turning against humans. The ones we don't kill off, we enslave. Look at the poor elephants in circuses. I would be trampling my way to freedom or death, too. :no:

And that kinda additude is one huge reason why I dislike humans so. And am happy the Elephants are rising up against 'em.

Edited by SilverCougar

and that kinda additude is one huge reason why I dislike humans so and am happy the Elephants are rising up against 'rm.[/quote[

I know, it's this attitude that humans are somehow above all other species thats the reason so many species are on the verge of extinction in the first place. Humans are so selfish, we breed like locusts, need more room to live, so what do we do? We point at the nearest wood, bulldoze it down and make houses, without a single regard for the animals and plants living there. We're a plague, and our population needs to be drastically lowered.

I agree with Talon!

We only have ourselves to blame for this and I just hope the Elephants actually get to kill some poachers in their "war"!