Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What American news outlet do you prefer?

churchanddestroy

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you watch most?

2. 2. What do you read most?

• NY Times
    • NY Post
    • Chicago Tribune
    • USA Today
    • Wall Street Journal
    • LA Times
    • Washington Post
    • The Onion
    • I don't read newspapers
    • Other (explain)

I'm just curious to see where the members of this forum prefer to get their news. Please don't comment on other people's selection, I didn't start this to argue about stations and newspapers. Just pick, and if you so choose to post, explain why you prefer the station you selected.

I'll start. I watch CNN. Why? Because I think CNN falls right in the middle ground, between the Republican oriented media and Democrat oriented media. I don't like Fox much and I don't particularly like MSNBC either. CNN fits better into my skepticism of the Obama administration without being a 'birther', but its not so critical to the point of rabid delusion either. Also, I like Lou Dobbs and Anderson Cooper.

As for the newspaper, I mostly read the Wall Street Journal. I used to read the Chicago Tribune a lot more, but my dad canceled the subscription (except for Sundays). Hes gotten the WSJ for as many years as I can remember, and although there is a definite conservative lean to the paper, I still enjoy the articles and the editorials. Much of what I read in the WSJ reminds me less and less of Glenn Beck/Bill O'Reilly/Bush-Republicans and more of conservativism/Ron Paul/Milton Friedman. And if I have to pick a side to lean towards, I'm more conservative than I am liberal, so thats why I also like the WSJ.

So I think CNN and the Wall Street Journal is a relatively balanced combination, all things considered.

Edit to add: I also love to pick up the Onion whenever I go downtown Chicago.

Edited by churchanddestroy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Farmer77

• The Silver Thong

• Lt_Ripley

• churchanddestroy

I try to read/watch stories on all of them because I think they are all biased in their own ways.

I trust CNN more

Thanks

B???

When I watch news on TV I tend to surf , but I do like Rachel Maddow on MSNBC.

Fox ? for the laugh. Once in a while CNN .

Fox viewers have been all over Obama for 'losing ' Chicago. some even think he had any choice in the city .... lmao. Yet that was picked when Bush was still in office. uninformed viewers and spin.

but tons of newspapers online from various countries and views. politically and socially. well I skim their headlines unless I'm caught by something interesting. And only on the weekends anymore. 3 hours or so of reading the news is getting to be too much.

i usually only read the comics.

as for who when chicago was chosen isn't important. what is important is it was more important to push chicago than talk to the general on the ground in a war.

They all somewhat annoy me, but CNN is in my own opinion the best. Mainly, I think this is because they don't have a ridiculous bias like Fox, and don't reek of stupidity like NBC, ABC, and MSNBC.

I am surprised that CNN is not more popular: At least in my area, there are only two networks: Fox and CNN, with CNN being unanimously favored by those who don't want a strong political bias.

I'm just curious to see where the members of this forum prefer to get their news. Please don't comment on other people's selection, I didn't start this to argue about stations and newspapers. Just pick, and if you so choose to post, explain why you prefer the station you selected.

I'll start. I watch CNN. Why? Because I think CNN falls right in the middle ground, between the Republican oriented media and Democrat oriented media. I don't like Fox much and I don't particularly like MSNBC either. CNN fits better into my skepticism of the Obama administration without being a 'birther', but its not so critical to the point of rabid delusion either. Also, I like Lou Dobbs and Anderson Cooper.

As for the newspaper, I mostly read the Wall Street Journal. I used to read the Chicago Tribune a lot more, but my dad canceled the subscription (except for Sundays). Hes gotten the WSJ for as many years as I can remember, and although there is a definite conservative lean to the paper, I still enjoy the articles and the editorials. Much of what I read in the WSJ reminds me less and less of Glenn Beck/Bill O'Reilly/Bush-Republicans and more of conservativism/Ron Paul/Milton Friedman. And if I have to pick a side to lean towards, I'm more conservative than I am liberal, so thats why I also like the WSJ.

So I think CNN and the Wall Street Journal is a relatively balanced combination, all things considered.

Edit to add: I also love to pick up the Onion whenever I go downtown Chicago.

What a great topic! I find it fascinating that here in America we have become such a consumer society that even our news is now tailored to fit our viewpoints. Liberal and want to hear a viewpoint that you'll agree with ? Watch MSNBC. Conservative and want to hear a viewpoint you'll agree with watch FOX. In denial about the media being biased? Watch CNN ........ I personally gather my news from all the mentioned sources and more, especially when it is a story I am really interested in. It's hilarious the same story will sound completely different between all the major news networks.

On a side note I was really disappointed by the left turn CNN made once the election really got swinging in early '08. They had been doing a good job up until that point of playing the stories down the middle. Looking at the ratings I'm clearly not the only one who saw this as they got hammered in the ratings game during the election.

i usually only read the comics.

as for who when chicago was chosen isn't important. what is important is it was more important to push chicago than talk to the general on the ground in a war.

and that needed to be done face to face ?

how many generals did bush ignore ????? that he bounced out because they didn't see it his way ?? shall we start the list ??

I don't really get my news from the Mainstream Media aka Old Media anymore, but I consider the WSJ to be the best, and I usually watch FoxNews if I'm bored and there's nothing else to watch.

and that needed to be done face to face ?

how many generals did bush ignore ????? that he bounced out because they didn't see it his way ?? shall we start the list ??

One question for you: WHY? Why play the moral equivalence game? Why do you feel the need to attack the former president rather than address the issue at hand? Bush was a schmuck we all know and accept that fact. So let's move on. Repubs spent 6 years in denial about Bush much to the detriment of our nation. It would be a shame to see the dems make the same mistake with Obama and it starts by ignoring small mistakes or indiscretions. As a former republican I know I used to do the exact same thing you are doing with Bush and Clinton until eventually the mistakes, screwups, lies and misdeeds could no longer be ignored. Obama has already proven himself to be just like the rest of the politicians ( I.E. "i will not have lobbyists in my administration" , 11 on staff last I checked)don't let your hatred for Bush blind you to the current administrations faults.

Fox "news" hands down the best ever, that or comedy central ;)

One question for you: WHY? Why play the moral equivalence game? Why do you feel the need to attack the former president rather than address the issue at hand? Bush was a schmuck we all know and accept that fact. So let's move on. Repubs spent 6 years in denial about Bush much to the detriment of our nation. It would be a shame to see the dems make the same mistake with Obama and it starts by ignoring small mistakes or indiscretions. As a former republican I know I used to do the exact same thing you are doing with Bush and Clinton until eventually the mistakes, screwups, lies and misdeeds could no longer be ignored. Obama has already proven himself to be just like the rest of the politicians ( I.E. "i will not have lobbyists in my administration" , 11 on staff last I checked)don't let your hatred for Bush blind you to the current administrations faults.

The reason why Bush is still an issue is because Obama isn't fixing his mess quick enough for the pub's so they attack. It's a big mess to deal with and it hasn't even been a year yet.

The reason why Bush is still an issue is because Obama isn't fixing his mess quick enough for the pub's so they attack. It's a big mess to deal with and it hasn't even been a year yet.

The reason why Obama won was because of the mess, I don't see what he is doing to make anything better besides throw more many at the problems.

They might not strictly qualify as news outlets but I enjoy the C-Spans.

See here is the problem; you are exactly right about Bush's policies being an issue to discuss. But in the post that I was referring to, and in many others, the default response to any criticism of Obama is something along the lines of "oh yeah well bush did this and that so Obama is better". That is nonconstructive and intellectually dishonest.

The reason why Obama won was because of the mess, I don't see what he is doing to make anything better besides throw more many at the problems.

It's not often but I agree with ya. Obama won with out breaking a sweat and for reasons we both know. Obama is not the shinning star some hoped but he is making change and this talk about all the scary things happening is a direct result of the last admin. Drastic measures had or will have to be made. Can Obama pull you guys out of this hole? I don't know but going to war with him won't help much.

The biggest problem right now in America is it's division amongst one another. Dem's, Pub's who cares don't attack the man attack the system so the man is not the main issue. Your being sidelined by the BS of Obama this Bush that. Fix the system, how you do that I don't know. I'm just a simple Canuck worried about my neighbor and friend.

Edited by The Silver Thong

It's not often but I agree with ya. Obama won with out breaking a sweat and for reasons we both know. Obama is not the shinning star some hoped but he is making change and this talk about all the scary things happening is a direct result of the last admin. Drastic measures had or will have to be made. Can Obama pull you guys out of this hole? I don't know but going to war with him won't help much.

Wow you agree, are you drunk? JK!

What changes do you see that Obama is making that will make this nation better?

The biggest problem right now in America is it's division amongst one another. Dem's, Pub's who cares don't attack the man attack the system so the man is not the main issue. Your being sidelined by the BS of Obama this Bush that. Fix the system, how you do that I don't know. I'm just a simple Canuck worried about my neighbor and friend.

It just looks like each party cares more about the money and power then the American people as a whole. I'm a Conservitive not a Republican who believe more power should go to the people not the president and all his czars.

Well said

I watch Fox News Channel and I don't read any newspaper. (Though if there's something interesting in my mom's newspaper, I'll read it. I don't know what newspaper she gets.)

See here is the problem; you are exactly right about Bush's policies being an issue to discuss. But in the post that I was referring to, and in many others, the default response to any criticism of Obama is something along the lines of "oh yeah well bush did this and that so Obama is better". That is nonconstructive and intellectually dishonest.

I agree....

Everybody clearly witnesses American's who identify themselves with the political party they have chosen.

Politics in America is like the Vince's WWE debacle.... they appear to hate each other by going for the throat while in the ring

but, backstage they laugh and eat together.

I know it hurts the feelings of American's who feel an emotional family inherited commitment to either the democrats or republicans...

but.. enough is enough... its over.

The Bush's and Clinton's have owned the 'democratic stage' long enough.... they've molded the America as everybody knows it.

America has had its booms and busts... its all been engineered by design.... and its been clearly engineered to fall apart.

A new political party must emerge from within.... not a new party presented to the public on the MSM news outlets... no.

A grass roots party that takes back Washington... for the people... a new party that puts mom and pop ahead of wallstreet.

A new government that has blue collars instead of white shoes.

A government which treats its subjects the same way it would wanted to be treated itself.

A government that will invite you and your family for dinner without making you clean the dishes afterward.

Edited by acidhead

I agree....

Everybody clearly witnesses American's who identify themselves with the political party they have chosen.

Politics in America is like the Vince's WWE debacle.... they appear to hate each other by going for the throat while in the ring

but, backstage they laugh and eat together.

I know it hurts the feelings of American's who feel an emotional family inherited commitment to either the democrats or republicans...

but.. enough is enough... its over.

The Bush's and Clinton's have owned the 'democratic stage' long enough.... they've molded the America as everybody knows it.

America has had its booms and busts... its all been engineered by design.... and its been clearly engineered to fall apart.

A new political party must emerge from within.... not a new party presented to the public on the MSM news outlets... no.

A grass roots party that takes back Washington... for the people... a new party that puts mom and pop ahead of wallstreet.

A new government that has blue collars instead of white shoes.

A government which treats its subjects the same way it would wanted to be treated itself.

Wow that was absolutely freakin inspiring! Sign me up! That is exactly correct and is exactly what this nation needs. I personally believe that a third party will win the 2012 election. I just hope its a real third party and not a sham orchestrated by the other WWE actors in order to keep their hold on the power.

---found this interesting today in a speech by Ahmadinejad yesterday...

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=107711&sectionid=351020101

(half way down the article)...

Ahmadinejad pointed to the recent media hype over Iran's second nuclear enrichment plant. “In the past few days, we saw Western media outlets repeating false accusations against Iran's nuclear issue.”

“This is how the Western media works. First they:

>distort facts and fabricate news. Then they incessantly repeat their false allegations, just to make sure that it is forever etched on the minds of people,” he said.

“[uS President Barack Obama] made a huge mistake when he accused Iran of secrecy and gave rise to the recent torrent of false reports,” said President Ahmadinejad...."

Fact is ...... tax cuts didn't work and throwing money at it didn't work.

so anyone with any real ideas ? why aren't you running ?

Even an idea that would fix this won't happen overnight. would probably take a year or more.

what needs to happen is people have to tighten their belts , and open the wallets to pay our bills. just like any other household. and that includes not ignoring our own.

cutting the DOD would be a fast start. Good old fashioned police work has kept us safer than million dollar jets and bombs. bring people home , close the boarders and start cleaning house.

Start Green industries and let oil go. but greed won't allow any of that.