Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

obscure hobbies

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#91    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,119 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

When I was a designer in a wood shop, I used to cut out sections of boards with interesting-looking knot holes and imperfections in the grain, make wooden frames for them and hang them on the wall at home like pictures. I still have some hanging here and there.

I guess collecting knot holes as a hobby is pretty obscure.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#92    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,258 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

Most folks around here know that I do a LOT of beadwork.... embroidered jewelry (it's often displayed in my blog here) and bead weaving as well. That's not too obscure, a lot of folks do this kind of craft work and jewelry working.

BUT the other thing I do that's not as common is something called BDE or Brazillian Dimentional Embroidery which is a dieing art of sorts. It's a highly 3-dimentional and textural embroidery. In many ways, it's like doing tiny macreme with a needle and rayon thread on fabric. It's popular in South America as the name suggests. It's almost always used in floral patterns.

I also do something called Stumpwork embroidery which again is very textural and dimentional as well. It involved fabric, needle, wool threads where sections of the embroidery are actually gathered and stuffed to create hills and valley's in the work. It's not seen too often, and is used for very architectural designs.

I know... yawn... but I love needle crafts and have been doing them since I was a child. I like to consider myself a fiber artist. For all I"m great iwth a needle and thread though... I couldn't use a sewing machine to hem my pants. LOL. Sewing machines and me don't mix. LOL.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#93    MelanieKayDeeDid

MelanieKayDeeDid

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 51 posts

• When the rapture comes, can I have your stuff?

Posted 13 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

When I was little, my two favorite hobbies were a.) playing "scientist" and picking various insects/flowers/tree bark to look at underneath my microscope, and b.) watching various documentaries and taking notes on them. My friends would be like, "Melanie let's go ride bikes!" and I'd say, "Not now, I'm watching a documentary on the Aztecs." I was like, 9 or 10 years old, haha.

Now that I'm older, I don't have much time for hobbies as school and my job take most of my time, but paint by numbers is my new hobby. I like to call it a "zen activity." I don't really think that's obscure, but whenever I tell people "paint by numbers" they're like, "Errr...isn't that for children?" Pssh, whatever. I'll never have to buy a piece of art to decorate my home thanks to the numerous paintings I've created! =P

"Rock and roll is fun but if you ever hear someone
Say you are huge, look at the moon, look at the stars, look at the sun
Look at the ocean and the desert and the mountains and the sky
Say I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye
I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye."
- Kimya Dawson

#94    Superglobe

Superglobe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

• [insert snarky comment here]

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

Don't know how obscure music collecting really is, but when you factor in that I collect music in all of the following formats--

CDs, MP3s (digital in general), Cassette, Vinyl, 8-track, reel-to-reel tape, phonograph, acetate and one Wire recording.

I think it counts.

nothing to see here, folks.

#95    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,732 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:48 AM

Even though I am female I LOVE Zombie movies. I like to think how I could survive in a world of zombies.

.... Ok maybe I said to much.  :unsure2:  :devil:  :rofl:

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#96    wetchickenlip

wetchickenlip

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

i dont do this anymore, but i used to spend alot of time trying to make as perfect spheres as i could out of wood by using nothing more than rasps files and sandpaper.
id spend hours out in my shed doing it, especially in the sumemr with a few beers and some music.
i migth start it up again actually lol, im should i could sell a few

#97    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:53 AM

Some people own OLD Thomas Bros. maps guides available mainly in the West Coast (Cal., Oregon, Wash. state and Arizona) that were made from 1980 to as far back as 1940. These map guides and wall maps can't be used in driving anymore, but have some historical value and can produce nostalagic memories.

Here's one from a message board on roads, freeways and growing suburban sprawl or development over the years and decades in the communities the maps served.
http://www.aaroads.c...01256#msg101256

Palm Springs and Beaumont-Banning is what you're looking at, though my hometown is Indio. The Thomas Guide maps back then (local edition was Riverside County) focused on the cities of Riverside/San Bernardino (county, the cities 8 miles apart).

Mapping and geography are interests of mine, though I rather read a newer map and memorize the directions whenever I need to. Our family or friends remembered the maps and the towns shown they knew of, it sure can be a conversation piece on where they live.

Edited by Makoto Jupiter, 16 May 2011 - 07:57 AM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#98    Episteme

Episteme

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,110 posts

• "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:19 AM

I restore, colorize, and animate stereo card photographs from the 1800s and early 1900s.  At least when I can find the time...  (example)

I've never seen anyone else make these, but I would love to see other people doing them.  It's a little complicated, but if any photoshop buffs are willing to try it out, I'd be glad to help them along.

Posted Image
My Website- Avatar created with permission from The Clayman using Dancing Chicken 1.0

#99    marblecake

marblecake

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:43 PM

I'm an avid backgammon player.

#100    Enoonmai

Enoonmai

Psychic Spy

• 1,832 posts

• There are things known, and things unknown, in between are the doors

Posted 19 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

Mega whitewater canoeing.

Lone Wolf; Test Everything - Believe Nothing

#101    my_psychosis

my_psychosis

Psychic spy

• 2,732 posts

• Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
    "Pigkiller"

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

I have a few hobbies like cooking, reading, and video games, but I guess my 2 weirdest would be I love to watch really bad scary movies, I mean real bad.  They make me laugh. I just watched "They live" last night. My other is I love to do surveys. I dont care what its about. It can be about cheese, cookies, paper towels, or cat litter. I dont care, I just love surveys.

Onomatopoeia. Well, that doesn't change the fact that it's a dumb word. I mean, you gotta wonder what was going on in the room the day they needed to make up that word.
Bridgette Dubois ( from TV's Medium)

#102    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

TV network bumpers (and collections available on YT), from a wide number of countries and their TV channels have artistic artwork departments to make them.

The Italian network RAIUNO is notably well-renowned since Italy itself is grandeur in making art, music and media. Even the high artistic style used on short TV bumpers accompany commercial breaks or "Pubblicitas."

Edited by Makoto Jupiter, 22 May 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#103    arglebargle

arglebargle

Psychic Spy

• 1,515 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:02 PM

Watching bad movies with friends about once a week, give or take.
Used to create crystal gardens using recrystallization.
Imagining myself as a character in whatever work of fiction I happen to be reading/playing/watching at the time, and imagining what I could accomplish by doing the right things at the right times, and how the effects would ripple through the story.
I used to worship trash-cans with my cousin and another friend of ours when I was younger, the reasoning being: since there are people in this world who don't have homes, why do we build homes for garbage? Garbage is probably magical and we should bow before it on every occasion.

#104    Smithers

Smithers

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

• Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

I am a sword and foreign money collector. I also have a lot of Buddha's all around my house... even though I don't classify myself as a Buddhist. :lol:

"Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts. -Albert Einstein"
Posted Image

#105    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,401 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Edit from previous post: RAI starting/ending of transmission and between-shows bumper, it is common to find national expressions of pride in many countries' TV networks.

Noticed the Italian flag is based on the French Tricolor, but it came from French Emperor Napoleon's idea of a flag with his fave color Green to substitute for blue. He was born in Corsica, whom are of Italic origin and the island was part of France since 1769.

Edited by Makoto Jupiter, 31 May 2011 - 05:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users