Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

True Believers

S.C.I.-P.R.O.

Hi again U-M ,just wanted to bring to the table the discussion on the believers here on this site. I have always been interested in mysteries,folk-lore,along with ghost stories,etc. I know that alot of other people enjoy these things also. Some people like to share their stories,some people like to share a discussion. The thing I never understood was why is it when you see topics of ghost..bigfoot..phantom lights..U.F.O's,etc. there is always some one adding their 2 cents on why these things arn't possible or that they don't believe. Why is it that these people choose to join a site that has thousands of believers in various subjects and they have nothing to contribute to the site but negetive input. Why do they waste time in reading about things that they don't believe in and argue with others that do believe. So I say to U-M and all the members that do believe...thank you,and for members that don't believe..get a life and find a different site because having a non believer that's a member is the BIGGEST MYSTERY of them all....SCIPRO

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• S.C.I.-P.R.O.

• libstaK

• TheBanana

• __R_____

Because this is a forum where people discuss things, that's why.

It is good to discuss things in order to get a better handle on the subject and to discuss various angles on it.

Sometimes what we see is not what we think it is and it is ALWAYS better to get differing views on issues.

It's sort of like a court case, you won't get anywhere if all you do is discuss the case only with those who are convinced a person is guilty. By talking to others you can see the issue from other angles and find out things that you weren't able to see before.

Why shouldn't someone say "Wait a second, there is another possibility."

In short this is a discussion forum and you will see varying views on any given issue and sometimes we don't always agree. It's called "life" and reality. If you want a fantasy forum where everyone nods their heads in unison like bobble-head dolls then you will be very disappointed here.

Just because one has an "experience" doesn't mean it should be accepted at face value nor does it mean it was real.

Edited by Ryu

I agree with Ryu.

Part of what makes UM great IMO is that there are different people looking at these things from different angles. I've seen a lot of threads where people come here for help with explanations because on other forums everyone just agrees that it's spooky and here they can get information outside just spooky.

I think non believers are a valuable resource. Sometimes it's just as good to figure out what something isn't as much as it is to figure out what it is.

I agree that sometimes people pop up with the one liner of "I don't believe X" and that isn't very helpful to the conversation. But it can be just as pointless when someone pops up with the one liner of "I believe X" too.

A society, group or forum where everyone agrees and thinks the same would be pretty boring I think. The thing about Unexplained Mysteries is that there is no scientific or concrete proof that has been put before mankind - hence the terms "Unexplained" and "Mysteries". It makes perfect sense that someone who has not had any of these types of experiences would be sceptical and, in fact, it is by far the best position from which to approach the topic in the absence of personal proof.

Those that have had the experiences themselves, while frustrated, I think for the most part understand why others may not embrace their position. I know for myself it doesn't bother me (much), nor does it change the facts as I know them. Discussion, investigation and debate provide an opportunity for those with talent and insight to collect evidence and provide theories that could feasibly be tested given the right technology at some point in the future. It is not the last frontier in science but it is a compelling field for those who love a good mystery and have a sense of adventure. There will be pioneering breakthroughs in many mysteries of today eventually, that is my firm belief.;)

In the meantime, those of us who have had experiences hold our position and those who have not demand proof - how else could it be?

In the meantime, those of us who have had experiences hold our position and those who have not demand proof - how else could it be?

Even if they will see proofs , that will not make them believe.The one liner ''It's Fake'' will be their next reply.

Edited by Ryouk

This forum is not a believers forum it seems and perhaps it is meant for balanced views but it is clearly biased towards skeptics who can ridicule believers. There is a no preaching policy and since skeptics are not a belief they can preach ram down their views on others as if it were preaching.

Not all but a couple consistently do so in mean spirited fashion. I suppose they just have a bent for telling others they are wrong, crazy, irrational, etc.., maybe it is a part of their growth and like lording it over others? They certainly are not balanced or allow others their view. Simply you are wrong in their eyes.

Even if they will see proofs , that will not make them believe.The one liner ''It's Fake'' will be their next reply.

The internet is not the best environment for definitive proof. I see your point though ... all the better to polish your debating skills with eh?:devil:

I agree that this is a good site for open discussions on maters of the strange and un-usual,but if you don't believe then it leaves little to discuss. It's alot easier for some one to say that something isn't real or impossible to believe than it is for some one to come forward and speak of an expience that they had and would feel foolish because of the non-believers.

"To Believe or not to Believe...that is the Question" is very stupid thing. If you are smart you will always be open minded for everything...don't pick a side, pick the facts and the truth!

It's people like you that make others not want to post things and hide behind your desk-top running your mouth because you know that the **** you're talking no one can actually do anything about..you little WHIMP!!!!

Depends on whether or not you want to find the truth. Anyone can present a fascinating story that captures the imagination and deem it reality, but first you must conclude what it is not before jumping to a random conclusion. For instance there are many natural ways to induce hallucinations, voluntary or involuntary. So one should try to do some research to provide evidence that removes that possibility...and on and on..etc.

Otherwise, all you have is a story and faith based on stories could just mean you believe in a lie, but of course thats what faith is, an act of concession.

Hi again U-M ,just wanted to bring to the table the discussion on the believers here on this site. I have always been interested in mysteries,folk-lore,along with ghost stories,etc. I know that alot of other people enjoy these things also. Some people like to share their stories,some people like to share a discussion. The thing I never understood was why is it when you see topics of ghost..bigfoot..phantom lights..U.F.O's,etc. there is always some one adding their 2 cents on why these things arn't possible or that they don't believe. Why is it that these people choose to join a site that has thousands of believers in various subjects and they have nothing to contribute to the site but negetive input. Why do they waste time in reading about things that they don't believe in and argue with others that do believe. So I say to U-M and all the members that do believe...thank you,and for members that don't believe..get a life and find a different site because having a non believer that's a member is the BIGGEST MYSTERY of them all....SCIPRO

Sometimes its not always black and white - I'd like to believe but I also don't want to be made a fool by some hoax. Are there UFO sightings that remained unexplained? Sure. Does that mean they exist? Maybe. what I have found is so great about the massive debunking talent on this site is that if you truly want to believe you have to hone your ability to discern fake from fact. I think there are plenty of believers on this site, they just might be waiting for some actual evidence to base it on.

Well that's all that I was saying. No I don't take everything I read about as the truth. The stories can be questioned and discussed. The research is a great thing along with debated and discussing. What I was implying was to just come out and say you don't believe in ghosts-U.F.O.'S-BigFoot-etc.then you leave no room for discussion and if you don't believe in these things then why would a person become a member of this site?

Well that's all that I was saying. No I don't take everything I read about as the truth. The stories can be questioned and discussed. The research is a great thing along with debated and discussing. What I was implying was to just come out and say you don't believe in ghosts-U.F.O.'S-BigFoot-etc.then you leave no room for discussion and if you don't believe in these things then why would a person become a member of this site?

Just think of them as Scully to Mulder :)

I agree that this is a good site for open discussions on maters of the strange and un-usual,but if you don't believe then it leaves little to discuss. It's alot easier for some one to say that something isn't real or impossible to believe than it is for some one to come forward and speak of an expience that they had and would feel foolish because of the non-believers.

Very True.. I come here looking for some insight.. Because of what has happened to me.. and trying to understand it.. rationally.

But to just put it out there.. so ppl can pick you apart.. and not try to help.. Well.. thats why I say quiet.

I just look for my self.. and try and figure it out. just by reading everyones ideas.. and comments. Hopeful to find some awncers.. or leads.

Good subject thoe.. carry on!!

Well..no one is stopping anyone from posting their experiences here however no one is obligated to believe something at face value.

Sometimes what one perceives as "picking apart" is really just an effort to help one look at things from a different angle because sometimes it's a case of one not being able to see the forest because of the trees.

That is what discussions are supposed to do..help us to think and see things from a different viewpoint.

Hey!!......I understand what the word frustration mean's,but you have thrown such a broad spectrum of different interests in turn opening such a wide door of discussion's and interest,that your apparent need to tell non believers where to go baffles me.................(believe in what exactly?).........JMO...........having an open mind and a free thinker....is a nother story :)

• 2 weeks later...

If I see a rude post that I feel translates to a negative/slamming/demeaning tone... I simply feel bad for that person, they are not at the same place as I am. That's ok. I feel like they need to be heard here because maybe they are not heard elsewhere. I'm not going to stoop to that negative level and I'm surely not going to get upset about it. :) why bother? So I think we just have to take the good from this forum. We will have great minds that agree and great minds that disagree. So long as the the dialog is presented in a way that is tactful it's not bad. it's a conversation with different perspectives.

So I say to U-M and all the members that do believe...thank you,and for members that don't believe..get a life and find a different site because having a non believer that's a member is the BIGGEST MYSTERY of them all....SCIPRO

In other words you want a site for village idiots.

in this for ya sigo...

Believes all people have to admit to some level of neurosis!!!

will never let my mother cut my hair again!!!!

The feet you step on today!....might be attached to the legs of the ass you have to kiss tomorrow!!!!

it is hard to sore high with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys!!!!

Lol, so true...

except im not into this for the area kissing my butt...

little league...

good luck

love

a site full of "true believers" would be sooooooooooo boring (and so would a site of all sceptics). everyone would agree on everything and it would be boring.

its good for debate when people dont agree, and sceptics have plenty of things to add other than "i dont believe", they can add the reasons why and debate it with believers

I believe in a whole bunch of stuff others find silly and stupid, and the last thing I would want is a forum where everyone was saying "Oh yes, you did see a fairy riding a unicorn in your garden! You're so special!" (No I don't believe in fairies riding unicorns in my garden.)

People discuss things they are interested in. It doesn't matter if they believe they are true or not. Maybe someone is interested in the folklore behind ghosts, or modern media's treatment of the UFO craze. Maybe some just like investigating stuff scientifically. Some are even wishing for proof of ghosts or alien visitation or psychic phenomena.

No one should insult anyone else. ("In other words you want a site for village idiots.") It's not productive or kind, and it goes for both sides: believers and non-believers. People have to realize that someone disagreeing with them is not an insult.

In other words you want a site for village idiots.

I think that village atheist are welcome here as well.

Peace

mark

It's not as black and white as believers all on one patch and skeptics all on the other patch. We're not playing the cabbage patch dolls here you know. I have tried to point this out multiple times in other threads that skepticism doesn't belong to one camp or the other. I wish people would stop confusing the two. It means absolutely nothing in terms of 'belief' but just that the person is using said approach to make sense of their/the world.

I know plenty of believers, believers being the operative word in describing a person who embraces and accepts their experiences with the unknown, including myself, but who also take a skeptical approach to the information and accounts of others they cross.

So please even if you had a community that was based entirely on believers or skeptics, you would still have the shades of grey between the differing interpretations of experiences and disbelief's/beliefes - the same arguments and contests. Both camps hold those traits and cycle through them. The only thing that separates, is how one interprets and what one experiences in conjunction with their 'awareness'. It's a fact that some people are just blind as bats while others are always going to notice 'more' than the average.

Edited by AnVil

yeah, i agree :) i think theres more of a scale of it :)

at one end are the people who are 100% believers, at the other end are the people who are 100% sceptical. in the middle are people who dont know either way. most people are somewhere towards the middle, but lean towards one end, in varying degrees of belief.

most people, id say, lean towards one side because of their own experiences or thoughts (maybe they feel ghosts are a bit illogical, or think ghosts might be real because so many people have seen them), but are also critical of other peoples experiences and look at them differently than their own as they didnt experience them. they also would be willing to change their opinion if something came up that seemed convincing enough