Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

To enjoy the small things

markdohle

Life on a daily basis has many frustrations. There is also real suffering that can cause a great deal of anxiety, fear and physical pain. The darker colors get our attention, as they should since they need to b dealt with. Often the many subtle colors of the day, the so called small pleasures are overlooked, or perhaps taken for granted. Many people may laugh at the mindfulness needed to be truly present to these many small centers of peace that are present in our daily lives. However I feel that it is to their loss; for it is pleasure that releases the stress that the daily struggles of life bring us. To enjoy the small things in life are important, for since they do not cause us distress they can be overlooked and the healing benefit that they offer can be diluted are lost. To be mindful of small things is not easy, it takes discipline, a swimming against the habitual reactions

to what life seems to throw at us. Perhaps it could also be called developing the seeds of thankfulness. There is a Buddhist saying: “Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice”.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markdohle

• sarah_444

Top Posters In This Topic

Life on a daily basis has many frustrations. There is also real suffering that can cause a great deal of anxiety, fear and physical pain. The darker colors get our attention, as they should since they need to b dealt with. Often the many subtle colors of the day, the so called small pleasures are overlooked, or perhaps taken for granted. Many people may laugh at the mindfulness needed to be truly present to these many small centers of peace that are present in our daily lives. However I feel that it is to their loss; for it is pleasure that releases the stress that the daily struggles of life bring us. To enjoy the small things in life are important, for since they do not cause us distress they can be overlooked and the healing benefit that they offer can be diluted are lost. To be mindful of small things is not easy, it takes discipline, a swimming against the habitual reactions

to what life seems to throw at us. Perhaps it could also be called developing the seeds of thankfulness. There is a Buddhist saying: “Pain is inevitable, suffering is a choice”.

I agree, completely. It's easy to see so many small pleasures when you have small children. To see thier eyes light up when they find a ladybug and to listen to their giggles and it walks up thier arm, tickling them. To watch them sleep, to spend an afternoon playing outside and staring at the clouds as they drift by...i could go on and on.

My husband gets "bored" at the beach, when it's too cold to swim, while I could stay there all day watching the waves and doing nothing. I read a quote once, something like, "A truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour". I like that one. :)

I agree, completely. It's easy to see so many small pleasures when you have small children. To see thier eyes light up when they find a ladybug and to listen to their giggles and it walks up thier arm, tickling them. To watch them sleep, to spend an afternoon playing outside and staring at the clouds as they drift by...i could go on and on.

My husband gets "bored" at the beach, when it's too cold to swim, while I could stay there all day watching the waves and doing nothing. I read a quote once, something like, "A truly happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour". I like that one. :)

LOL, I love the ocean as well. In fact I don't like to swim in the ocean at all, I tend to like underwater swimming, can't open my eyes underswater. I love lake swimming. I do love the waves, the sound, the smells and the wildlife that is around. Thanks for sharing.

peace

mark