Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

mcrom901

The Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) has announced that it is back in business checking out the new habitable exoplanets recently discovered by NASA's Kepler space telescope to see if they might be home to alien civilisations.The cash needed to restart SETI's efforts has come in part from the US Air Force Space Command, who are interested in using the organisation's detection instruments for "space situational awareness".

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bison

• mcrom901

• badeskov

• The Silver Thong

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, U.S. Starfleet Command- I mean Space Command is now funding SETI, is it. Well, I'm sure that'll reassure the Aliens that we have a purely peaceful interest in establishing contact with our extraterrestrial friends.

What if we find aliens but they are no more advanced then sheep? Should we still spend trillions of $'s to send probes to capture some?

What if we find aliens but they are no more advanced then sheep? Should we still spend trillions of $'s to send probes to capture some?

Well, somebody keeps messing with our cows...seems fair enough to me! ;)

*that was a joke*

Well, somebody keeps messing with our cows...seems fair enough to me! ;)

*that was a joke*

:rofl::lol:

We now have a space command concerned with "space situational awareness" ?

Awesome! Seems a step up. I wonder how one gets a job there?

I do like The Register.

Edited by psyche101

Beats spending trillions on wars, failed private business and greedy corrupt politicians.

Beats spending trillions on wars, failed private business and greedy corrupt politicians.

Isn't it also about time that we go and mutilate some alien cows? As long as we are absolutely sure that they aren't the dominant species, incredibly intelligent and sitting on a huge war chest full of advanced weapons of rather destructive character - that would be a bummer :P

Cheers,

Badeskov

Isn't it also about time that we go and mutilate some alien cows? As long as we are absolutely sure that they aren't the dominant species, incredibly intelligent and sitting on a huge war chest full of advanced weapons of rather destructive character - that would be a bummer :P

Cheers,

Badeskov

Sounds pretty risky, what if they have alien mad cow desease and money. I`m sure some could buy there out of anything and they start to mingel with the likes of Rosie Odoniel (sp) and Donald trump. That would be the end of mankind forsure :alien:

Edited by The Silver Thong

Sounds pretty risky, what if they have alien mad cow desease and money. I`m sure some could buy there out of anything and they start to mingel with the likes of Rosie Odoniel (sp) and Donald trump. That would be the end of mankind forsure :alien:

OK, that was a rather horrible scenario you just managed to depict there. :P

Cheers,

Badeskov

Just so they don't 'mingle' the genetics of Rosie O'Donell and Donald Trump. There's a hybrid lifeform capable of destroying the Earth for sure!

Best weapon we have to deter these beings is to broadcast.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=gW5xPOTlSMc

Hahaha..good point. I guess we need to start cranking the transmit power up and really start pouring some energy into space :P

Cheers,

Badeskov

Just so they don't 'mingle' the genetics of Rosie O'Donell and Donald Trump. There's a hybrid lifeform capable of destroying the Earth for sure!

Uh oh...now, that is a scenario I dare not contemplate...I mean, the hair alone :unsure2:

Cheers,

Badeskov

Hmmm. Why do I have the feeling that the US government isn't telling us everything...

'... that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe has that' - - quoting Slartibartfast ***** It would be ironic, though, if the SETI Institute's Allen Telescope Array, as a partially Air Force-sponsored facility, got proof of extraterrestrials Edited by bison

'... that's perfectly normal paranoia. Everyone in the universe has that' - - quoting Slartibartfast ***** It would be ironic, though, if the SETI Institute's Allen Telescope Array, as a partially Air Force-sponsored facility, got proof of extraterrestrials

what about the protocols...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwP4FUuohY

:unsure2:

Great...now we'll have someone 600 light years away saying "Can you hear me now?"

Then they'll have to wait 1200 years ( two way trip at light speed) before they hear "yes.", assuming we can hear them! A tediously slow conversation. :sleepy: Welcome to the forum, BowieMom.

what about the protocols...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDwP4FUuohY

:unsure2:

The protocols, which Dr. Kaku never got around to explaining, do *not* say that news of the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial radio signals should be concealed. They *do* say that, in common with other scientific discoveries, it should be thoroughly and repeatedly confirmed by independent observers, and then released to the general public. I generally find a good deal of merit in what Dr. Kaku has to say. Here, I feel, he is being overly pessimistic about our ability to adapt to such news. He also seems to overestimate the likelihood of such information being suppressed, in this age of instant and highly ramified communications. Recent SETI 'near misses', where they thought for a time that they might have detected ET signals, have managed to leak out to the public quite quickly, quicker than even the scientists would have wished. Edited by bison

Finally Shostak grows a brain.

The problem though is that Shostak is still in charge, though.

Can we perhaps see a researcher who is actually interested in extraterrestrial life in charge of SETI pretty please Sagan Institute?

Shostak is out for glory. It's clear from his repeated statements that UFOs are not alien craft, and that detection of ET can ONLY come from SETI.

Ignoring events like the Battle of LA are a huge red flag when one is claiming to be interested in such data...

A blatent misuse of the word 'habitable' there.