Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Weather forecasting for dummies

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

There are easy ways to do things and there are hard ways to do things.  In modern society, everything is done the hard way.  No wonder, therefore, that people become old and decrepit before their time.  That’s one of the consequences of always finding the hardest, most cumbersome, difficult, backbreaking, arduous and laborious way of doing things.

Take weather forecasting, for example.  Like everything else in life, there is an easy way to forecast the weather and a hard way.

The EASY Way:

The easy way is by DIVINATION.  (Oh p-lease, spare me the howls of incredulous laughter --- it only betrays ignorance and stupidity!)

Here’s how divination works for me: if I want a short term forecast I go out the back door and look at the birds.  For a long term forecast, well, I have to wait until it arrives.  (I’ve already received my long term forecast for next winter.)

Short term weather forecasting is accomplished, as I said, by observing the birds.  Here’s a sample:

Flocks of crows means heavy cloud cover probably with heavy rain and wind.  Water birds e.g. ducks, oyster catchers, gulls etc, indicate rain.  Pigeons indicate clear spells.  Flocks of crows interspersed with pigeons flying past means heavy cloud etc, with clear spells in-between.  If I hear geese at night, then I can expect low cloud or fog.

Last winter I received a four week forecast from an owl (well, not in person, of course).  When I see or hear an owl, this interprets as a short cold snap of one day or so followed by a longer period of milder weather.  One night when driving home at dusk, I stopped the car to watch a barn owl hunting along the hedgerow.  Instead of flying off the bird flew just ahead of the car, alighting on fence posts every so often.  I followed the owl for nearly 10 minutes.  I interpreted this as a weather pattern of short cold snaps followed by milder weather --- and that is exactly what happened.

Last winter’s long term forecast was received in September.  Reading a number of novels in quick succession, the phrase “late snows” (occurring in each of the novels) jumped out at me.  In my part of the world, we did indeed have late snows and a cold spring.  My long range weather forecast for the winter before last was also correct.

FAQs:
How do I know which birds to pick out from the mass or which words/phrases in books to pick out from the mass?  Intuition.  Divination will not work for you unless, among many other things, your intuition is well developed.  Too bad that rules out readers of this piece, then, eh?

The HARD Way:

The hard way is by METEOROLOGY.

Obtain a university degree in meteorology, computer science etc, etc --- 3 or 4 years of backbreaking, mind-numbing, tedious SLOG.   Get a job at the Met. Office.  

Write weather modelling software.  Plug in all the data gathered “since records began” and start up the computers --- rooms full of the damn things in a sterile, dust-free environment.  Spend hours upon hours upon hours de-bugging and fine-tuning software until results moderately satisfactory.  Of course, when software and/or hardware out of date, must be upgraded --- more hours upon hours upon hours of tedious, painstaking, mind-numbing slog.

Send satellites into earth orbit to gather colossal quantities of data.

Litter the planet with little weather stations (or weather balloons or sensors etc, etc).   Have some poor sods record daily wind speeds, temperatures, precipitation, hours of sunshine, collate results and return to relevant Met. Office for processing.  (And I’ve done that.  Talk about mind-numbing!)

All this goes on day after day, month after month, year after year --- this vast weather machine, a gigantic mill, eternally and inexorably grinding and churning and pounding and pulverising the increasing and gargantuan quantities of data that feed it, tended lovingly by its slaves, the meteorologists, whose period of servitude results in nothing more than their accelerated decrepitude.  

Geez – modern meteorology is so PRIMITIVE!!!!!

What do you think?

PS: “For mash get Smash!”   I’m the aliens, you’re the earthlings, and I’m splitting my sides laughing at your primitive methods.

PPS: For more on Divination, see my blog.

#2    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,374 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

When taking a plane journey, i'll stick with them assessing things through tried and tested data collection instead of your intuition. Call me old fashioned but I prefer hard facts over guessing any day, thanks.

Edited by Sky Scanner, 06 June 2013 - 03:16 PM.

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#3    Ugly1

Ugly1

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

I feel that birds may have an intuition for rain. When you have your long term winter forecast developed for your area, let me hear it. We can then compare your forecast with how things turn out.  I have a similar model of determining rain.  The difference is it is with a dog. If my dog smells like a sour dish rag, I know it just rained.

#4    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

I worked in Meteorology Canada for a spell. I thought it was fun. (I was trying to model the flow of sea ice based on satellite data, so I didn't really have to make day-by-day predictions, but I think making a model based on past events, using that model to make predictions about the future, then waiting to see what happens is enjoyable.)

I actually agree that you can probably get better qualitative forecasts about the weather by observing nature.

But meteorologists are trying to do more than that; they are trying to predict how much rain will fall, what speed the wind will blow, how hot the day will be, etc.

And yes, because their predictions are so specific (``scatter showers, 2-4 mm of rain, from 4 pm to 6 pm'' as opposed to ``today it will rain'') they are often wrong. But they are getting better.

I really find your posts perplexing, pantodragon. You say it yourself:

View Postpantodragon, on 06 June 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

How do I know [...]  Intuition.  Divination will not work for you unless, among many other things, your intuition is well developed.
And I agree completely.

But intuition is, at least partly, a product of experience.

How will large, sprawling urban centres, millions of tonnes of smoke and CO2 from factories and cars, aggressive farming, foresting, and fishing, influence Earth's environment?

This sort of thing has never happened on Earth before, how can one expect to form an accurate intuitive answer?

Maybe data-crunching and computer modelling isn't such a bad thing.

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,649 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

What if there are no birds around? The intelligent way would probably be more effective, but that wouldn't be found in any of your topics.

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,828 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Another one is Ants, apparently when you see a little dirt mound outside an ant hole that means a storm is coming.
Another one is putting a flag up or a wind direction thing (those little windmill things on top of houses)
Or look at the clouds change shape.

But the Easist  way is good for short term, for a couple of hours

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,479 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I call for Michael Fish as prime minister!

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,564 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

If I want a short-term forcast I go out my back door and look at the sky. I'm quite familiar with cloud formations, and it's pretty obvious when a storm is coming my way. Then I look at weather radar. Here I can actually see the movement of the whole storm as it nears my location. This method is easy for me.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostUgly1, on 06 June 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

I feel that birds may have an intuition for rain. When you have your long term winter forecast developed for your area, let me hear it. We can then compare your forecast with how things turn out.  I have a similar model of determining rain.  The difference is it is with a dog. If my dog smells like a sour dish rag, I know it just rained.
Hahaha the old weather Rock routine. If my magic weather rock is wet it's raining, if it's dark it's cloudy, if it's light it's sunny, if it's cold to the touch is cold if it's hot then it's hot. It's a very incredible Rock.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi Panto. Are you willing to take the challenge? Tell us your location and provide some short, medium and long term predictions based on your intuitive technique. These can then be compared to your official met service forecast; and both measured against the actual weather that occurs.

Are you up for it?

#11    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,148 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Maybe the owl was landing on fence posts because you were interrupting his hunt by following him for 10 minutes.  Just sayin'

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#12    Simatong

Simatong

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 70 posts

• "Life is what you make it...So let's make some friggin' ice cream, dude!

Posted 08 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

While I am down for divination when it comes to one's personal preference (specifically if the person shows a talent for it), when it comes to predicting things for people overall, meteorology is the winner. Why? Decades worth of science and demonstratable accuracy should not be dismissed. Are meteorologists wrong at times? Of course they are! The weather is a chaotic system, affected by a variety of determinants at any given time. The thing is that the shorter the forecast, the more accurate they are; A forecast on Sunday for Monday and Tuesday will probably be very accurate, but go further down the line and the chance for error increases (meteorologists base their down-the-line forecasts on probabilities as are themselves based on current conditions). Besides, the specifics for such things as wind and inches of rain have a margin (why do you think they say 15-30 mph winds instead of just 15 or 4-7 inches of rain instead of something like 4.2...they have a good idea about what the numbers might be, but they obviously can't be absolutely precise). Any meteorologist worth a grain of salt will tell you that meteorology is not an exact science. But considering that it's not, most meteorologists do wonderful jobs, otherwise we wouldn't need them, n'est pas?

#13    some new guy

some new guy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:58 AM

hello and welcome to my 1st post on UM - I've been visiting for a while, I enjoy reading the topics and forum conversations - this particular thread is the one that made me decide to join UM, being a dummy I'd like to share with you my method for weather forecasting/divination - I live in the downtown area of a fairly large city, I dont get many birds flying around here except the usual city birds - so, this is what I do.................

1) I look out my window
2) I look at the sky
3) I look at the people on the street

people may not be as awesome as birds but seeing how they are dressed tells me a lot about the weather outside

so, whats the weather going to be like in 2 or 3 days? - I dont know but feel free to ask me in 2 or 3 days, I'll look out my window

BEST - Ron

#14    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostUgly1, on 06 June 2013 - 03:26 PM, said:

When I use divination, I am not relying on the intuition of birds.  It is an interpretation of dreams, signs and portents.  Quite a different thing.

#15    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 06 June 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

I really find your posts perplexing, pantodragon. You say it yourself:

[size=4]
And I agree completely.

But intuition is, at least partly, a product of experience.

Please read my earlier blog: A day in the life of......  This explains the mechanisms behind divination which make it apparent why divination does, and will always, be more effective than meteorology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users