Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Biden's tip for self-defense: Get a shotgun

joe biden guns shotgun

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,673 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:01 AM

http://www.reuters.c...E91J03720130220

"Buy a shotgun," he said, lowering his voice almost to whisper.

Way to go Joe!!!

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:22 AM

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

#3    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,344 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,172 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, I've been around shotguns. Very intimidating in my opinion.
No need for a direct "chest shot" , pellets screaming everywhere within a 2-foot or more radius.

#5    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 20 February 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

If I were to buy a gun to protect myself/my property it'd be a shotgun. Big, loud and imposing. You'd not even need to use to to brown someone's trousers, and need very little training to do damage.

Its too bad you cant buy a gun in australia if your purpose given in the licensing process is "self defense"

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,642 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 20 February 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Its too bad you cant buy a gun in australia if your purpose given in the licensing process is "self defense"
That's why I stick with my Ghurkha knife. Because there's subtle and then there's a foot of hardened steel designed to make a mess of the person on the receiving end of it.

#7    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

Any here ever shot a taurus judge?Pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells or 45 long colt.Not extremely accurate but close distances a hand cannon!

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#8    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,546 posts

• "I'm an optimistic, don't know." Onslow

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:33 AM

Shotguns can be effective for in-home defense, but they vary greatly so, as with any firearm, know your individual weapon.
Recoil: damage to you, or your wife or 14- year-old, which may affect taking a second shot.
Effectiveness: of shot at a distance and for close-shots you still have to be very accurate- that is, before the spray pattern enlarges, so you can still miss a close target even with a shotgun.
Capacity: only 1 or 2 shots before reloading, or more?
Handling: can everyone who might end up using it actually handle the shotgun while possibly having to maneuver through the home.
Accuracy: It is still up to the shooter even with a shotgun. Everyone who may end up using it has to know how to shoot accurately.
etc etc

If you are alone in your home you can stay put, and be situated to shoot at close-range into an open area. But if there are others in the home you or your wife may find yourself moving around the house in the dark to protect others or find an intruder practically on top of you.

Gun home defense doesn't begin and end with just having a gun in the home. Or depend solely on the *BOOM* to do the job. I believe wholeheartedly in scare tactics, but sometimes that won't work and doesn't exclude me from being weapon savvy.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 20 February 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Keep your eyes wide open and don't run!

P.S. Just to be clear, because sometimes I am not. I do not believe...
in the existence of a large previously unknown undiscovered hairy biped roaming North America.
But I like to hear the accounts, read the books, watch the shows, discuss and argue about the phenomenon.

#9    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,332 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:54 AM

Can I get a semi-auto shotgun Lord Biden, or may I not be bestowed with such dangerous firepower and rapid rate of fire?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#10    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:08 AM

I am no friend of Joe Biden, but this soundbyte makes sense to me. Certainly a shotgun is a good defensive weapon for your home, unlike the ridiculous assortment of military machine guns that Americans seem to want to own.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#11    iNvRG

iNvRG

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Shotguns leave a mess and I wouldn't want to have all that all over my house. A handgun works just fine.

"We as humans believe in a superior being because we as humans can not comprehend the magnitude of our own existence"

#12    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

That's why I stick with my Ghurkha knife. Because there's subtle and then there's a foot of hardened steel designed to make a mess of the person on the receiving end of it.

Nothing more satisfying like the sound of willow cracking skulls. Who needs a gun when a cricket bat is just as effective?

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#13    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

View PostMichaelW, on 20 February 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

Nothing more satisfying like the sound of willow cracking skulls. Who needs a gun when a cricket bat is just as effective?

Confucius say he who brings cricket bat to gun fight can kiss his *** goodbye :tu:

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#14    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostCrimsonKing, on 20 February 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

Any here ever shot a taurus judge?Pistol that shoots 410 shotgun shells or 45 long colt.Not extremely accurate but close distances a hand cannon!

Yes. I own one. I have the first three chambers loaded with those Federal brand shells that contain (4) buck rounds. The following two are loaded with 45LC.  The only time I use .410 birdshot shells is for snakes. I honestly don't trust the knock down power of .410 birdshot shells. when it comes to personal defense.

#15    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,332 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Joe tells his wife Jill to fire both shells out of a shotgun with a two-shell capacity, and now that she's out of ammo, not to worry, because he knows that for anyone attacking his wife, that 2nd gunshot will scare them away.

Posted Image

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

Also tagged with joe biden, guns, shotgun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users