Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elder Scrolls Online

Cybele

How many people here have heard of or are planning to play The Elder Scrolls Online?

I'm a fan of some of Bethesda's TES games--Skyrim (in terms of the environment) and Morrowind (in terms of storyline). The MMO that's set to come out next year is being developed by ZeniMax Studios, rather than Bethesda.

Personally, I have mixed feelings, as I practically swore off MMOs years ago due to their potential addictiveness. I also wonder if this may be a dying genre, with games like WoW way past their prime. However, this game is centered around a topic that I personally find most engaging, the mythology of Tamriel--which, for the more lore-inclined gamer, is highly developed--and the idea of an invasion by my favorite of the more sinister daedra--Molag Bal.

The game will be based on three factions. Which faction you belong to will be determined by your character's race. What I don't want to see is a WoW clone in terms of cartoonish graphics and a PVP-based system where you can't talk to players of opposing factions. I kind of got that sense from a very early promotional video, but the concept art I'm seeing so far looks good.

http://elderscrollsonline.com/en

Thoughts?

Edited by Cybele

After seeing footage and watching the 10 minute (aprox) Introduction to TESO im being cautiously optimistic for this title. Ive been a fan on TES since Morrowind stole my childhood and ive never looked back. The fact Zenimax are primary devs is a bit concerning but i have faith they will be faithful to the lore they have at there disposal.

A WoW clone this day in age would be commercial suicide From the introduction i know there planning on keeping the basic attacking and defense method of TES, Left click for attack, Right click for block etc etc etc.

I al so like how they are also going to incorporate other basic TES features like crouching for stealth and sprinting power attacks.

This game has potential but will also be very heavily judge by both MMO gamers and TES Freaks (I say Freaks in the loving term being as im a TES freak^^).

But yeah on the whole I'm excited and will be keeping a close eye on the development, after recently leaving WoW im looking for summit new this may just be that.

Unable to decide what faction i wanna be,im torn between Ebonheart Pact (Nord)and Aldmeri Dominion (Bosmer)

Edited by Vaise
  • Like 1

I read the OP and somehow by the end was daydreaming about a Fallout mmorpg. That's all I want.

• Like 1

If I was a PC gamer I'd definitely be interested. I often drift into sleep by thinking about how I'd design my dream MMORPG. I was addicted to Everquest on the PS2 for several years, and that was just a glorified chat room with a rudimentary game attached to it. Love the Elder Scroll games, though I played the last three on consoles so I didn't get the benefit of the mod community.

Yes I would prefer a Fallout online. But that is on very shaky grounds.

http://en.wikipedia..../Fallout_Online

There actually has been one out for years now, using the Fallout 2 game files. It's a bit hardcore and turns off most players (like me) who entered a town and were instantly blown to bits by a minigun, only to watch a few guys run up and loot our dead body before we re-spawned at the start. It is not easy to acquire items in this mmo, and the gameplay is extremely unbalanced.

The wasteland is a b****.

http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/

There actually has been one out for years now, using the Fallout 2 game files. It's a bit hardcore and turns off most players (like me) who entered a town and were instantly blown to bits by a minigun, only to watch a few guys run up and loot our dead body before we re-spawned at the start. It is not easy to acquire items in this mmo, and the gameplay is extremely unbalanced.

The wasteland is a b****.

http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/

Ah yes, I've played a bit of that before. I meant a 3D version, like Fallout 3, New Vegas style online version.

ayone ever tried fallen earth currently F2p on steam pretty decent game kinda reminiscent of fallout

I played Fallen earth when it was p2p, don't play it much anymore since my clan is basically inactive.

After seeing footage and watching the 10 minute (aprox) Introduction to TESO im being cautiously optimistic for this title. Ive been a fan on TES since Morrowind stole my childhood and ive never looked back. The fact Zenimax are primary devs is a bit concerning but i have faith they will be faithful to the lore they have at there disposal.

A WoW clone this day in age would be commercial suicide From the introduction i know there planning on keeping the basic attacking and defense method of TES, Left click for attack, Right click for block etc etc etc.

I al so like how they are also going to incorporate other basic TES features like crouching for stealth and sprinting power attacks.

This game has potential but will also be very heavily judge by both MMO gamers and TES Freaks (I say Freaks in the loving term being as im a TES freak^^).

But yeah on the whole I'm excited and will be keeping a close eye on the development, after recently leaving WoW im looking for summit new this may just be that.

I'm not familiar with ZeniMax or any of its prior work, so I'm not sure what to expect.

TES combat system, I thought, was horrible in Oblivion. I liked it in Morrowind a lot better due to all the travel spells like water-walking and levitation--though I know that would not work in an MMO. Skyrim was more user-friendly with regard to combat, but for someone who enjoys playing a mage, the list of spells was far too limited.

The "lore freaks", if the Imperial Library is any judge, are concerned about whether the game will stay true to the original historical timeline. That is not such a huge concern to me, as long as it doesn't feel like part of a completely different series. I'm curious as to whether Vivec will show up; he was one of my favorite NPCs. I mean, Vivec the way Michael Kirkbride wrote him, though I know there's no chance of that showing up.

Unable to decide what faction i wanna be,im torn between Ebonheart Pact (Nord)and Aldmeri Dominion (Bosmer)

My main would be a dunmer (Ebonheart) because that's always been my favorite RPG fantasy race.

If I was a PC gamer I'd definitely be interested. I often drift into sleep by thinking about how I'd design my dream MMORPG. I was addicted to Everquest on the PS2 for several years, and that was just a glorified chat room with a rudimentary game attached to it. Love the Elder Scroll games, though I played the last three on consoles so I didn't get the benefit of the mod community.

I was addicted to Everquest II for a couple of years before I quit cold turkey. I liked the way they had different "sides", good and evil, that could still interact with each other in groups and raids. I'm not sure how the TESO storyline will affect this possibility. The common enemy will be the imperials and Molag Bal. The dynamics of all this look interesting.

Edited by Cybele

One of my problems with MMO's is that my gaming time is extremely limited... I always find myself woefully behind the players that do nothing but game 24/7 - takes all of the fun out of it when there is no way I could ever become competative...

What I would absolutely love for Bethesda to do would be to make a game where all of Tamriel is accessable - Skyrim, Cyrodil, Elsewhyer (sp), Hammerfell - all of it... A single massive game set in the same time period with free access to all areas of Tamriel...

Perhaps the main quest could be the next war between the Empire and those obnoxious Thalmor...

ESO is set 1,000 years before Oblivion.

As a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls lore, I'm definitely excited for this title..

The very fact you can explore the continent is exciting. Granted, not all at once.

You have to go through the three factions to explore all of the continent.

Nonetheless, the attention to detail is overwhelming. You can visit spots from the previous Elder Scrolls games as they were in the past..

You'll definitely have to play the older titles to get some contrast.

• Like 1

Like Taun said. These days in MMOs, if you want to be the best you need to grind the game for hours and hours. Which not many of us have time for let alone find the prospect appealing.

I would like to see if they'd encourage gameplay in moderation. Maybe make things a lot more skill based. Or offer benefits to staying logged off for a period of time.

Hopefully they change the standard MMO model. Get rid of the stupid grinding of stats. I would really enjoy it to be very similar to the offline games but with other users walking around, doing quests and fighting etc.

When I was playing Fallout of Skyrim there would be a lot of times I wished I had an online friend in the game, just so i could show off my new armour or weapons haha. And to go on adventures through the huge world with a friend would be awesome too.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone, who signed up for the beta, heard back?

I'm torn between Daggerfall (Redguard) and Ebonheart (Dunmer and Nord)

i got a preliminary acceptance for closed beta, sent them there desired info and awaiting to hear back on NDA details.

• 1 month later...

Been a hc fan since Daggerfall, but I'm not afraid to say that this game will fail hard. So many mistakes were made during development it's not even funny. Firstly and most of all, they've been developing this game in a bubble for 5 years. No feedback, not any contact with the playerbase and the marketing campaign was years late. Seems to me they had clear directions.

Paul Sage is incompetent and should be fired with the rest of his "team". What a pathetic way to burn millions of dollars.