Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

God's mercy?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Well, as an atheist I don't believe in any god or what not but to somewhat answer the question, no one has the capacity to be 'all loving', I even doubt a god would have the capacity to.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#17    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,826 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

View Postscowl, on 12 September 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Judaism does not promise anything for eternity, only a happy and long life. If your life sucks that means God is punishing you, or possibly (as in the case Job) testing your faith for which you will be rewarded for but only in your lifetime.

Christianity was a more marketable religion. Suffering (which was hard to avoid at the time) became a good thing which would be rewarded posthumously.

So what the heck happens to Jews when they shuffle off this mortal coil?? Is that it? No 47 virgins? Nada?

#18    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

View Postscowl, on 12 September 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

One way to look at this (which I've found is extremely distasteful to some Christians for some reason) is that the Genesis God is "early" God. To put it simply, God's not a very good god at that early point in the story. He overreacts. He punishes indiscriminately and incorrectly. He micromanages everything and gets crazy pissed at the stupid humans when things don't go as planned.

The God in the later part of the Bible is more like an adult. He's less in-your-face, has lower expectations of the stupid humans, and lets things play out however they play out. He doesn't dish out immediate punishment and has become more of an observer and critic of humanity than an active participant. It's seems to me like he sent Jesus to take over this miserable job and wash his hands of these pathetic people he created. God got sick of judging every human during every moment of their lives so it was just easier to do that after they die.
Or as Rciky Gervais said, Old Testiment God is like 50s dad, New testiment is more modern dad...

#19    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Maybe the question is more directed towards Muslims.

#20    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:37 PM

How do we know for sure anyone has ever went to hell?

#21    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 12 September 2012 - 05:18 PM, said:

That's one way, but that would mean God is not omniscient.

Of course God isn't. This is very evident in the Old Testament. For example stupid Aaron and a bunch of stupid people built a golden calf and worshiped it while Moses was out on business with God on Mount Sinai. God didn't mention anything about a golden calf during this time. It wasn't until Moses got back that he saw it.

As usual Aaron who had coordinated the whole thing got away without a scratch, yet thousands of others were executed over it. And for kicks God threw a plague on the whole lot of them.

See, not exactly a good god at that point in the story! :cry:

#22    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostHilander, on 12 September 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

How do we know for sure anyone has ever went to hell?

We won't, but for the sake of argument, the religious texts tell us people will go to Hell.

View Postscowl, on 12 September 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Of course God isn't. This is very evident in the Old Testament. For example stupid Aaron and a bunch of stupid people built a golden calf and worshiped it while Moses was out on business with God on Mount Sinai. God didn't mention anything about a golden calf during this time. It wasn't until Moses got back that he saw it.

As usual Aaron who had coordinated the whole thing got away without a scratch, yet thousands of others were executed over it. And for kicks God threw a plague on the whole lot of them.

See, not exactly a good god at that point in the story! :cry:

I get confused over matters like that.

Edited by Mnemonix, 12 September 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#23    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

View Postkeithisco, on 12 September 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

So what the heck happens to Jews when they shuffle off this mortal coil?? Is that it? No 47 virgins? Nada?

You mean when they die? I think they pretty much die and that's it. If you weren't promised an afterlife then it's not something you would expect. Judaism is more about how to receive God's blessings during your life. An afterlife doesn't serve any purpose if you lived a long and happy life with your family and friends. Some would say it's selfish to expect some kind of payoff at the end.

Christianity has done a great job of promoting the afterlife as the main (if not the only) purpose of living. The fear of death combined with the occasional misery of living (especially two thousand years ago) is a powerful force and that's one reason why it's been a popular religion. Some Christians assume all religions have something similar but they're wrong.

#24    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 12 September 2012 - 05:25 PM, said:

Just what the heck do you mean by "Gods Mercy"?? This Biblical manifestation is a Tyrant that would be sent to the Gallows during the Nurenberg trials. Tell me, why in this age doesn't God have a Twitter or Facebook account (omnipotent, omniprescent)??? If he/she is so wonderful then why not contact people directly outside of Bizarre Catholic traditions (Lourdes etc).

God is a creation of your own minds, fuelled by Middle Ages repression and greed, the Papacy is so corrupt as to deny belief, Islam is based on a Mohammed that was a simple Paedophile (images of Mohammed were permitted until recently by the way), and, of course, the Jews are the chosen people so nobody else has a look in for eternity...

Hell never existed, just the rubbish dump outside of Jerusalem (Gehella)

ps Hands up anyone who can tell me what happened to all of the Gospels rejected at Nycaea (by the roman emperor Constantine) when the current version of the Bible was agreed (hint: The Gospel according to Mary was rejected)

Was not mercy used in the OP ? was my reply to the OP ? I think You will find that both answer's are yes

Just because You do not like the answer I gave,  it does not mean it is wrong

F,Y,I, - it is Nuremberg trials, not Nurenberg trials

Who is to say whether or not God want's a facebook or twitter account ?

How do You know he has not contacted people outside of the Catholic tradition ?

As for that matter who said I was a Catholic ? because I did not,  do not presume I am Catholic as I am not

I do not believe in ANY religion, I have my own belief's

Councils of Nicaea did change the Bible and leave out certain Gospel's, not just the Gospel according to Mary but other Gospel's too

Which is one of the many reason's why I do not follow or believe in the Catholic Church

Posted Image

#25    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

To the op, I see that you are having trouble understanding how God can allow suffering and yet still be good. God is merciful and God is love, perfect love and perfect mercy. However God is also a God of Justice and he must punish sin, hell is a place that was created as the final home of the devil and his demons and humanity was never intended to be there. But because of the love and sacrifice of Jesus Christ all who repent of their sins and accept him can be saved and brought to heaven to be with God forever. Many people on here will disagree but that is the truth.

#26    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,641 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 12 September 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

I didn't think God had mercy. I refer you to the genocide he unleashed upon earth killing all living things save two of each species for no real reason.
According to the Bible He decided to reset because of the evil in the world.  That man's thoughts were "only evil continually".  If He saw the suffering of the innocents and wanted to put paid to it what better solution than to take them all away?  I think fear of death is over rated.  The act of dying can be painful of course but it isn't often a long term process.  I for one would much rather be put out of such misery than be continuously subjected to it for a lifetime.  And I also cannot believe that a just and loving Creator would punish His creation for all eternity.  I think we must be misunderstanding something.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#27    Zeta Reticulum

Zeta Reticulum

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostMnemonix, on 12 September 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

God is almighty, so I'm sure He can be creative and think of an alternative. Just for example, if someone was evil, God could change that person.

I don't mean any offense to God, or anyone. This is just my personal opinion, and of course tons of people out there want to stone me to death for saying this.

To me, something unlimited has to be far greater than even the largest number possible, able to be comprehended by humans. And that's how much love, mercy and forgiveness God should have
  This is not a puppet show. GOD has given mankind free will. Sometimes intervention is enabled through prayer, however it is always left to faith as to whether you believe it was intervention or just chance. If this world was a puppet show, where GOD intervened everytime there was trouble... then there would be totally no point to existance.

#28    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,629 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Thank you, Universe for George Carlin, miss him. :nw:

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#29    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,515 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostMnemonix, on 12 September 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

If God's mercy was truly unlimited, no one would go to Hell.

I don't understand how a loving, merciful, all-forgiving God would cause someone to suffer in unimaginable pain for all eternity. This isn't love or mercy, and seemingly not unlimited love and mercy.

I, as a limited human, wouldn't want even my worst enemy to suffer for all eternity. I can't comprehend that. So why would a God of unlimited love and mercy want that? That's just an example.

God is almighty, so I'm sure He can be creative and think of an alternative. Just for example, if someone was evil, God could change that person.

I don't mean any offense to God, or anyone. This is just my personal opinion, and of course tons of people out there want to stone me to death for saying this.

To me, something unlimited has to be far greater than even the largest number possible, able to be comprehended by humans. And that's how much love, mercy and forgiveness God should have.

So come to me with some love, if you want to correct me on anything.

Peace and love.

*Sigh*

I agree with you.... I think we all go on. There are some 'evil' people who need to shed their ways, but those are the things that will go to hell and not the soul eternally. There are various aspects of hell, even here on earth, even in our own minds. Heaven is the same. God does have mercy....

When the question arises about the souls going to hell to burn forever I always think of this story in the scriptures:

Ezekiel and the valley of dry bones... This is a lovely story about the renewal of life, for those that were thought to be long dead and without hope at all for life again...

The Valley of Dry Bones

37 The hand of the Lord was on me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord and set me in the middle of a valley; it was full of bones. 2 He led me back and forth among them, and I saw a great many bones on the floor of the valley, bones that were very dry. 3 He asked me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
I said, “Sovereign Lord, you alone know.”
4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to these bones and say to them, ‘Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 This is what the Sovereign Lord says to these bones: I will make breath[a] enter you, and you will come to life. 6 I will attach tendons to you and make flesh come upon you and cover you with skin; I will put breath in you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the Lord.’”
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded. And as I was prophesying, there was a noise, a rattling sound, and the bones came together, bone to bone. 8 I looked, and tendons and flesh appeared on them and skin covered them, but there was no breath in them.
9 Then he said to me, “Prophesy to the breath; prophesy, son of man, and say to it, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Come, breath, from the four winds and breathe into these slain, that they may live.’” 10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and breath entered them; they came to life and stood up on their feet—a vast army.
11 Then he said to me: “Son of man, these bones are the people of Israel. They say, ‘Our bones are dried up and our hope is gone; we are cut off.’ 12 Therefore prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: My people, I am going to open your graves and bring you up from them; I will bring you back to the land of Israel. 13 Then you, my people, will know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves and bring you up from them. 14 I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.’”

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#30    Amalthe

Amalthe

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I think i can bring a little light to the subject. First about the omnipotence of God. The truth is, God is not omnipotent, because He limits himself regarding actions He can do. He always plays by the rules He himself brought upon Him, so in a way Lucifer is more potent than God, because Lucifer doesn't need to oblige the rules. Second, God is as much Just as he is Mercifull, so He has to punish wrongdoers eventually. Say you have two children and one child constantly molests the other. You have a right to forgive him and not punish him, because it is your child and you love him despite his behaviour, but the other child which is damaged, has a right to demand justice.  You can check Revelation 6:10, regarding that thought. So eventually you would have to punish the first child, if you are Just father.
Now the concept of eternal punishment is not Biblical, it makes no sense, because God is Just and He can only administer punishment according to the evil done, so more evil pepole will burn longer, less will burn shorter, but at the end, all wrongdoers will cease to exist in a way that they will experience second death, and they will not be tortured forever. It is stated that the fires of Hell will burn eternally, but the people will not be tortured eternally. It is our human misconcepption that fire needs fuel to burn, hence eternal fire requires souls burn for eternity, but that is wrong.

It is clear so far?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users