Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Bicycling

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I looked around and didn't see a thread like this.  Are there any other bike enthusiasts?  I love my bike.  in the summers when I'm off from my teaching job I pretty much shelve my car and go everywhere on my bike.  I also do some road and trail riding and just absolutely love it.  I have a 2005 TREK 3700 - I love my bike - its rugged, but lightweight and just begs to go fast.

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

I haven't been on a bike in a while. I'm thinking of investing in a new cruiser. Old fashioned, I know, but I don't need anything fancy.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#3    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

View PostOffeiriad, on 05 May 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I haven't been on a bike in a while. I'm thinking of investing in a new cruiser. Old fashioned, I know, but I don't need anything fancy.

I think thats the great part about cycling in general.  You can pretty much take it as far as you want to take it.  You can be a casual exercise/recreational rider with a very simple bike or you can go full tilt and drop $5k on a carbon fibre racing bike.  Either way, the enjoyment is still there.  I encourage you to follow your thoughts on getting a bike.  Get a decent one if you can - it will last longer and be more enjoyable to ride.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,842 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

The only way to deal with accursed cyclists!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    katzemacht

katzemacht

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

My bike has alot of miles on it, I ride it 7-8 months a year, weather permitting.  Wish someone would make snow tires for them.  The 'silver bullet' is a K-Mart special Huffy Cavern that is over 20 years old.  Gotta keep it locked though or if it gets blown up, at least it is paid off.  Good on gas too :yes:

Posted Image
Jaguars don't have time to wait~
http://action.biolog...action_KEY=1680

Jaguar

#6    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

Amen.  I love the feeling of knowing that you can propel yourself without spending a dime on gasoline.  Can't wait til the summer so I can ride more.

#7    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:57 AM

I think cycling is a reasonable hobby or sport to undertake. However, what annoyed me when I lived in the UK was the insistance of so called 'sports bicyclists'' to ride two abreast (or more) on a main road, thus holding up the traffice behind them or causing a danger to other road users who try to overtake them in what are, let's face it, much faster machines, ie, cars!
The other really annoying thing was that at the weekends, I quite liked to take an excursion (by car) to the local garden centre and would partake in a cuppa and some cheesy commestibles in their cafe. This just happened to be the same cafe that these sporty type bicyclists chose to stop for their refreshments.
I can tell you right now, there is nothing more off putting than the sight of some skinny bicyclist in ultra tight cycling shorts walking (or trying to walk in those funny bicyclist shoes) into the cafe when you are about to munch on your cheesy commestible!   Specially when the geriatric bicyclists were out for their Sunday jaunt. Ewwwwwww !!!
They are like caravans...they should be banned from all main roads and also from any place of refreshment  :)

edit,,,typo   :blush:

Edited by Englishgent, 06 May 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

I also plan on buying a trailer for my doggies. :w00t:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#9    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:23 AM

View PostOffeiriad, on 07 May 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Very cool.  :tu:

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:54 AM

I miss being on my bike. I've done something to my leg that make it ache terribly aafter just a little effort. Until I can afford to get it fixed my giant's going to be sitting in the back yard.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,828 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

View PostOffeiriad, on 07 May 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

That's why I bought a little, old, used S10 Chevy truck years ago for $1,500, The Huskey that I had got car sick every time she was inside the car. Never mind the truck didn't have air conditioning for me... it made her happy to ride in the back of the truck. She was properly and safely tethered by her breast harness of course. :tu:

There is a new bike rental, in our downtown area, that has something like fifteen different places where you can rent one or return it. I'm going to wait and see how many times my husband and I utilize that before I would consider getting a bike. My 93 Rodeo only has about 140,000 miles, because I work from home and anywhere I go I have to pick up too many things to ride any kind of bike for it to be a valid use of transportation.

#12    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

Went for a quick 5 mile ride last evening on mixed terrain.  The weather was beautiful and I even had the good fortune to come across 6 fox pups playing inside the city limits.  It was so nice to get back out there on my bike.  :)

#13    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,056 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

I finally found a bike in a price range I can handle, but I don't know if I need a 24" or can manage a 26".

#14    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostOffeiriad, on 15 May 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

I finally found a bike in a price range I can handle, but I don't know if I need a 24" or can manage a 26".

Take the 24''.......less height to fall from :)

#15    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostOffeiriad, on 15 May 2012 - 08:32 PM, said:

Are you ordering online?  if so you may want to trek to a walmart and just try sitting on the 24" bikes and then the 26" bikes.  If you are shorter a 24" might be the right size.  Hard to say.  I helped my mom pick out her current bike and she needed a 24" due to her being only 5'1".  She can ride a 26" but its much easier for her to get on and off the 24.  Try it out and go with what feels the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users