Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are your beliefs about death ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,819 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostZaphod222, on 19 January 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

Interesting logic there. So you assume that Yahweeh, Allah, Buddha and all the rest of the pantheon all exist at the same time?
Not exactly, my position has always been we "blind men describing an elephant" in relation to matters spiritual and deistic, so all teh belief systems are supported and supportable but they're all only describing part of a greater unknowable whole.
As for the afterlife, it makes sense that what happens to us, in light of the whole elephant business, is exactly what we'd expect to happen to us because of the cosmology we create around ourselves. I'll be having endless drinks on a beach with a library the size of Manhattan, Richard Dawkins will cease to exist, the Dali Lama will be reborn of Earth and so on and so forth.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#32    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Or we die and cease to exist. Unfortunately there only one to find out and Im not ready for that yet so Ill continue to believe in what I believe in what I do.

#33    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,819 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 24 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Or we die and cease to exist. Unfortunately there only one to find out and Im not ready for that yet so Ill continue to believe in what I believe in what I do.
Well quite.
I'm not emotionally mature enough to be prepared to accept that possibility yet, so I'll happily delude myself with thoughts of crystal blue seas and golden sands and more books then stars in the nights sky.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#34    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

We are born with an instinct to stick with the beliefs of childhood (it evolved to support group cohesion).  This is wired into us and explains why Egyptians tend to be Muslims, Thais tend to be Buddhists, Italians tend to be Catholics, and so on, in spite of all the conflicting ideas thrown at us all the time.

Therefore when I hear of someone going "back" to the old certitudes of childhood, I figure they have been under stress and sought an escape through the qualia that this instinct provides us when we revert -- joy being the main one, but also peace and comfort and resolution.

#35    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,804 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

We are born with an instinct to stick with the beliefs of childhood (it evolved to support group cohesion).  This is wired into us and explains why Egyptians tend to be Muslims, Thais tend to be Buddhists, Italians tend to be Catholics, and so on, in spite of all the conflicting ideas thrown at us all the time.

Therefore when I hear of someone going "back" to the old certitudes of childhood, I figure they have been under stress and sought an escape through the qualia that this instinct provides us when we revert -- joy being the main one, but also peace and comfort and resolution.

I don't think it is instinct, I think it is brainwashing.  People want to raise thing children in what they believe to be right and proper. I know many people who have walked away from the belief systems the learned as children. Even under times of high stress I would rather dive head first in a snake pit than go to a Baptist church.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#36    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostDarkwind, on 25 January 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

I don't think it is instinct, I think it is brainwashing.  People want to raise thing children in what they believe to be right and proper. I know many people who have walked away from the belief systems the learned as children. Even under times of high stress I would rather dive head first in a snake pit than go to a Baptist church.
Well of course it is brainwashing, but I wanted to avoid being so blunt.

Yes many have walked away from such beliefs, but always with struggle and usually a residue of anger at the emotional difficulties (fear, guilt, worry) of the walking-away process.  This reflects the fact that instincts enforce themselves in emotions.

#37    euroninja

euroninja

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

• John 14:16
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the father, but by me.

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

Yes many have walked away from such beliefs, but always with struggle and usually a residue of anger at the emotional difficulties (fear, guilt, worry) of the walking-away process.
To walk away from something you believe in is always a struggle, be it atheism, Christianity, Hinduism, bah bah. You're really not saying anything profound.

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

This reflects the fact that instincts enforce themselves in emotions.
Are you a psychologist? Do you have credentials?

Man plans and God laughs.

#38    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 24 January 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

Not exactly, my position has always been we "blind men describing an elephant" in relation to matters spiritual and deistic, so all teh belief systems are supported and supportable but they're all only describing part of a greater unknowable whole.

But an elephant is a knowable. The existance of elephants is a verifiable fact. So theists are not blind men describing an elephant; they are blind men describing a fictional Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Fact is, we do not know. Neither did any of the self-declared prophets know. Live with it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#39    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 25 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

No. Egyptians do not "tend" do be muslims, they are 90% muslim now, because Egypt was conquered by muslim armees, and Shariah law was enforced. And Shariah law is designed to increase the muslim population and decrease the non-muslim population (for example by dhimmi laws, by apostesy laws and polygamy).

That is why today the previously 100% Coptic Christian population of Egypt has now shrunk to 10%.

Likewise, in Thailand, which you mention, Thais are almost all Buddhists, except in the Southern Provinces, which have a muslim population, which is perpetuating brutal terrorism in a campaign to create an independent muslim state. Sounds familiar?

There is no "tending to" involved in all of this, this is the result of a deeply political religion.

Edited by Zaphod222, 26 January 2013 - 03:43 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users