Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists settle centuries-old debate on

Still Waters

More than 300 years ago, scientist William Molyneux posed the following puzzle: Imagine a person blind from birth who suddenly is able to see. Immediately after gaining sight, would he be able to visually distinguish between objects that he could previously identify by touch?

“Ever since then, this has been one of the foremost questions in the philosophy of mind,” says Pawan Sinha, professor in MIT’s Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences (BCS).However, the question remained only a thought experiment for centuries, as there was no good way to test it — until now.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DONTEATUS

• Still Waters

• scheming_dreaming

• Realjad

This is awesome! But I wish I could see if results would differ if it were adults being tested instead of kids.

There was neuroscientist on NPR years ago who also had an experience with a blind from birth adult recovering his sight through an operation. The same results as in the link. However, in this case the person often felt uncomfortable with his new eyesight and sometimes longed for the blindness he had been used to.

Also, in this same program, a color-blind painter who had painted wonderful paintings in black and greys had his color sight restored. He complained he couldn't paint as he did before, and after a time asked the surgeon if he could reverse the operation. Of course, that was not an ethical thing for the doctor to do.

This will open up a whole lot of doors in relation to cognition studies. Very interesting article. Too bad it doesn't state where the results of the test can be viewed.

I don't think this surprises most people. I guessed at these findings years ago.

There was neuroscientist on NPR years ago who also had an experience with a blind from birth adult recovering his sight through an operation. The same results as in the link. However, in this case the person often felt uncomfortable with his new eyesight and sometimes longed for the blindness he had been used to.

Also, in this same program, a color-blind painter who had painted wonderful paintings in black and greys had his color sight restored. He complained he couldn't paint as he did before, and after a time asked the surgeon if he could reverse the operation. Of course, that was not an ethical thing for the doctor to do.

Somehow, I can't blame the painter. Whether one is color blind or completely blind, one adjust with the condition. We may see this as a handicap, but for them, it's normal.

Well....now that's settled. What's next?..... :alien: