Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Florida's TB epidemic is bad news for all

florida tb cdc

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 5,411 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostFurthurBB, on 17 July 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Yes, I was wrong, check my post #5.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#17    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostbLu3 de 3n3rgy, on 17 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Questionmark why do you/they say that about the BCG, just curious?

I've had the BCG vaccine but so did most of my peers, it is a standard vaccine given to all high school aged children in the UK to protect against TB.  It's a mega sore vaccine and leaves a horrible huge scar :( There is a skin test that is done first to see if you need it, most people do lol.

ahh the memories!

i learnt not to annoy the nurse doing the skin test, what a learning curve that was, whooosh

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#18    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

The Asylum!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 17 July 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

I am no expert, so I suggest you check with them. And the vaccine with the bad scar is against smallpox. Not against TB.

Never heard of smallpox vaccine, wasnt it wiped out cause of cowpox?

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#19    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,592 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostSuper-Fly, on 18 July 2012 - 12:19 AM, said:

Never heard of smallpox vaccine, wasnt it wiped out cause of cowpox?
I was born in 1965,back then in the UK smallpox vaccine was standard .Yes Smallpox is eradicated but they still have samples locked away in labs..

Edited by shaddow134, 18 July 2012 - 02:07 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#20    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

The Asylum!

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 18 July 2012 - 02:07 AM, said:

I was born in 1965,back then in the UK smallpox vaccine was standard .Yes Smallpox is eradicated but they still have samples locked away in labs..

I dont doubt they still have samples in labs, but im from a different era.
when it came to my lot getting shot up, we didnt have smallpox,
which would suck if a lab smaple escaped into a duct...  LOL

Thanks for the reply.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#21    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,067 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

So in a mobile society, where austerity measures that limit health departments have been instituted by reactionary conservative governments, people get TB and are unaware, move throughout the country and spread disease. Apocalypse now?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,200 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:05 PM

View Postninjadude, on 18 July 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

So in a mobile society, where austerity measures that limit health departments have been instituted by reactionary conservative governments, people get TB and are unaware, move throughout the country and spread disease. Apocalypse now?

Depends. If these people also cannot afford a doctor or cannot afford the complete dose of medicines most probably yes. They will create a new strain of drug resistant TB. Now those who are capable of taking their medicine and pay for it will probably be cured (unless their strain is already resistant).

But even in the most virulent times there were hardly more than 30 suffering from TB for every 10,000 inhabitants of which 20 died from TB (the other ten other causes)  At worst, if all TB gets resistant and given that people live nearer to each other those figures can double. Tuberculosis is a nasty but certainly not a doomsday disease.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,592 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 18 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

http://www.whiteoutp...le-pandemic538/

Drug resistant TB is a reality and could be a big threat.

Edited by shaddow134, 18 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#24    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,428 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

TB is no joke. I remember when I was still working for a hospital at an outlying clinic.. Every year we went through health days. You got your TB test and if you cleared, you got your flu shot. I don't know what happened if you didn't clear your TB, never happened at the clinic I was working at. During those two weeks was the yearly round of defibrillator certification, pathogen training, including where the negative pressure room was and how to use it. The place I worked at was serious about TB. But then, they were pretty serious about a lot of other stuff too, and it was a hospital after all :)

So, given all of that, I am a bit of a worrywort about TB. If it's standard and caught early, steady treatment can do wonders. But if it's left untreated, is not steadily treated, or if it's a more resistant strain, that can be kind of scary.

#25    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 19 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

This is a joke. When i was a paramedic,and we worked the SROs in upper Manhattan,literally,every person in the place,had TB.
Multiply that by all the SROs.
NYC has thousands and I mean thousands of active TB patients .99 .
The upper west side alone,has thousands,as does queens .
I would put the oxygen mask on them to protect me.
I had to get tested for TB every six months,because I had no less than 2 patients with TB,coughing all over me,on a daily basis.

That's hype to get people hysterical and go out and get vaccinated.
LOL

Miss me?

#26    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,067 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 19 July 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

This is a joke. When i was a paramedic,and we worked the SROs in upper Manhattan,literally,every person in the place,had TB.
Multiply that by all the SROs.
NYC has thousands and I mean thousands of active TB patients .99 .
The upper west side alone,has thousands,as does queens .
I would put the oxygen mask on them to protect me.
I had to get tested for TB every six months,because I had no less than 2 patients with TB,coughing all over me,on a daily basis.

I don't know what an SRO is but you should have gotten hazard pay for that. Eww

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

SRO is single room occupancy .I worked in Manhattan for 8 years as a medic,and my area was the upper west side.
SROs are all over there from like the mid 90s to 112th st.
From Broadway to west end avenue.
Generally,they are full of homeless,junkies,and aids patients,with nowhere else to go.
They have a single room,with one bathroom per floor.
Generally,they let someone live with them,to save on costs,despite the name of the facilities. If one comes in with TB,and they all live together in such close quarters....you guessed it,they all get it.
I'm pretty sure they're not as bad as they used to be,but they are all still there. And no lie,I had 1-2 active TB patients,a day.
99 people,for an entire state,the size of Fla,seems hardly an epidemic .
Just saying . Seems like hype to me.
And as a blue collar worker of nyc,we aren't worth hazard pay . Which has become glaringly obvious since the wtc.
We are the ones they scream and cry for,when poopie hits the fan,and our govt,local and national,told us to jump in the lake .
Daily work is dangerous too ,so....
EMS of this city,is treated like the retarded red headed step child ,of all the services. PD,fdny,even sanitation,have better benefits,and get more respect.

Miss me?

#28    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,647 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Simbi that sounds like a dangerous job, I wouldn't want it.  TB isn't the only disease out there that is becoming drug resistant and that's what scares me.  The world needs to get involved in this and work together on it, germs know no borders, nationality or religion.  There's also a drug resistant strain of Gonorrhea spreading around the world.

This story happens to be about India but I doubt its the only place that is having problems like this.

Drug-Defying Germs From India Speed Post-Antibiotic Era

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:43 AM

View PostHilander, on 23 July 2012 - 12:22 AM, said:

Simbi that sounds like a dangerous job, I wouldn't want it.  TB isn't the only disease out there that is becoming drug resistant and that's what scares me.  The world needs to get involved in this and work together on it, germs know no borders, nationality or religion.  There's also a drug resistant strain of Gonorrhea spreading around the world.

This story happens to be about India but I doubt its the only place that is having problems like this.

Drug-Defying Germs From India Speed Post-Antibiotic Era

I left the service years ago Hilander,but I am a 911 first responder. I've been shot at,I have had questionable fluids splashed in my eyes.
I do have some 911 related issues,but I'm ok .My best friend died of mesothelioma tho.She got it at ground zero.....
And i haven't read the article yet,but if memory serves,in India,because of unsafe sex etc,women get TB infections in their uterus . It becomes a nasty infection ,and some need hysterectomies ?
Pelvic inflammatory disease is what it turns into,but It's hard to cure.
Yuk .

Miss me?

Also tagged with florida, tb, cdc

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users