Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your Coincidence/Synchronicity Stories

_Only

I was reading a thread I made on here about what your entrance music would be if you could choose any song, and was reminded of a wild moment of random coincidence/synchronicity in the thread.

It made me think that these type of things happen all of the time to people, and I'm sure many of us have a good story about how they found themself in a moment of a great coincidence or moment of synchronicity.

Here is one of mine (my 'story' is lazily just copy/pasted from the thread, into quotes, but serves best to recount the moment):

always wanted to come out to this song when i was still training for competitive boxing

would easily still be my entrance theme or background music.

To which I replied after reading and listening to his song:

Okay, wow.

How about is this for odd coincidences.

I started listening to your song and thinking how cool an entrance song it would be. So I thought it would be funny to pick an MMA fighter entrance to mute and listen to your song while watching, because I used to be into watching MMA. I chose Fedor Emelianenko, because he was known as more or less the baddest fighter around. So I muted the video before it loaded, and played your song while I watched it. It fit, as it would.

But then I saw the top comment on the Fedor video page:

"Didin doe dawh bop bop bop bop" ..lmao bas rutten loves this song he said it was the best entrance when fedor fought"

I was like wait.. this song is doing that. Then I turned your song down, and turned up that video's music...

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vslLU-2BvWs

Mind****! :w00t:

edit: Also I'm laughing at the commentary in the video. This is a crazy world, man.

To think some obscure song I'd never heard (I'd never seen Fedor actually enter a fight that I can recall) prefaced only with the idea of it going alongside a boxer's entrance, me deciding to pick a boxer to mute and watch enter an arena while I listened to the song (to get effect), realizing I don't know anything about boxing, so picked MMA, because I knew of it, picked one of my favorite fighters randomly, and realizing that was his entrance song?!

Crazy world, indeed. But a fun one, with moments like this.

What's your story?

• Like 1

Oh I have many, but i had a good one just today that I'll share for now.

While driving earlier today for some reason the name Burkholder popped into my head. I know one person with that last name, a friend's ex- but we haven't seen eachother in close to 9 years. I though it was odd to randomly think of his last name, then less than 5 minutes later as I drove past a church I noticed the name of it was Burkholder United Church. I laughed a little, but seeing as I've driven by there before I figured I had probably seen the name of the church before which initially might have made me think of it without realizing.

But then guess who I happened to bump into tonight at the gas station? The friend's ex with the Burkholder name that i hadn't seen in 9 years. lol

• Like 5

I don't have any good stories, but often in conversation when you are struggling to think of the correct word to use (i.e it could be any word that "slips" from your mind) before it pops into your head and you say it, and at the exact same time the TV or radio say the same word you were struggling to remember.

Surely it happens to more people than just me?

• Like 2

Ha ha, I love these stories.

Here's another quick one, not so amazing or noteworthy, as much as just making me smile at the subtle moment of multi-leveled humor.

I had just had a moment of synchronicity happen. I wish I could remember what it was, but whatever it was seemed to get overshadowed in my memory by a second moment of synchronicity that happened right after. I was thinking how the first moment of coincidence happened while I was driving. I didn't know how or why, and thought in my head "what the @#$%" about it, as I stopped behind a truck at a stop light, a few corners from my house. As I did this, my eye caught the license plate of that truck in front of me. It was something like '67WTF84'. It made me smile.

• Like 1

I don't have any good stories, but often in conversation when you are struggling to think of the correct word to use (i.e it could be any word that "slips" from your mind) before it pops into your head and you say it, and at the exact same time the TV or radio say the same word you were struggling to remember.

Yes, that happens to me a lot.

And you just reminded me of another coincidence that just happened to me today about 3 hours or so ago.

I was on this computer, editing a photo I took of a sunset over the ocean (the photo I have to the left above my name there). I was copying that photo, and pasting a second next to it, to make a set of eyes. As I was working on it, I was listening to a bunch of Air songs I had on my media player. A cover by them of a Black Sabbath song (Planet Caravan) was playing. I noticed the song only after hearing "we sailed through endless skies, stars shined like eyes". Nearly every song from there on mentioned stars, Sun, and related things many times as I continued to listen and edit for the next half hour or so, putting my image and a poem I did together as a new image. It wasn't a hard hitting quick moment of synchronicity, but a nice, slow, smooth flow of them. It was really nice.

8279275398_3f5e1feb17.jpg

Edited by _Only

My story isn't as nice as most of yours, but bear with me.

About 10 years ago I was taking a 1st-aid course and at the end of it we still had a few minutes of time. The instructor asked, "Are their any other injuries you want to ask about?"

Since I was handling a chainsaw during that time I said, "Yes, how about amputations?"

She picked me out of the crowd and told me, "Okay, pretend you just cut your right hand off..."

Six days later (gory details aside) I was giving 1st-aid to a guy that just cut off his right hand (30 miles out in the bush, on a snow road). We stored it, staunched the bleeding and he eventually got air lifted to hospital. A year later he was playing guitar. :)

• Like 4

this is exactly whats began happening to me..starting a few years ago...it spooky kinda and facinating at the same time

it happens so often that there has to be some meaning behind it?..i will be reading and as soon as i come across any word i will hear it instantaneously in other peoples conversation,on the tv,radio...or i will be talking to someone and as soon as i mention any random word it will appear instantly in the background somewhere

are these forms of pre cognition?..or?? can we just not take notice and break it down to simple coincidence?..it happens often,usally many times during the course of a week then it tapers off and nothing may occur for a month...then it starts again..are there ways to strengthen this?..is there any explanation?...i would like to start meditating perhaps,learn more about that.Its funny but i just entered these forums yesterday..and in my introduction briefly mentioned synchronicity..after submitting that i realized this topic as a recent post...hahahh go figure

• Like 3

I just had one so I decided to pop over here and post it. I'm browsing images of stars and planets taken through telescopes in another window, and suddenly heard someone on the TV say, "I was looking at the stars through my telescope and got hungry". lol

• Like 1

Ah, I just had a very nice one tonight (well, this morning).

Earlier tonight I saw the moon while driving home from work, and realized it looked full. I had wanted to take a photo of it when full, so made sure to check my earthsky.org bookmarked site to see if it was full tonight. Turns out it was. While on the page, I saw something that interested me in the FAQ section on the side 'Popular' section, an article from the 24th. It said 'what makes a halo around the sun or moon?"

http://earthsky.org/space/what-makes-a-halo-around-the-moon

Well, I found this really interesting reading it, as I realized I've never seen one of these 'halos' in the sky before. I thought it would be so cool to see one, and while I was thinking about how I had somehow never seen one before, a voice in my head said 'you will now', and of course it made me laugh inside, but I also agreed with the little unexpected thought, sure I would eventually. So that was around 6:30 pm tonight (or last night), and I promptly forgot about it as I went out to 'shoot the moon' in its fullness. It came out well, by the way:

8317008520_039119320a_z.jpg

But back to my story, I went back to doing my thing that night, and started to get tired listening to music, so it was time for bed. I went outside to the side yard before going to bed, and was wondering where the moon would be positioned in the night sky now, it being almost 7 hours later. As I didn't see it where it was previously (of course), I turned around and finally spotted it high up in the center of the sky, above my house. And was instantly awestruck. As I saw, for the first time, my first halo (it was so much more clear, bright, and beautiful than in my photo):

8317738636_1b1286da55_z.jpg

"I can't believe I've never seen one of those"

"you will now"

:)

• Like 1

Nice timing. I bought a new cd a few hours ago called The Story of Light by Steve Vai. It's been out for a few months apparently and I came across it on Youtube, so I raced out and bought it. Anyway the 8th song is called The Moon and I.. so its nice timing with a few things.

• Like 1

You could read my short real life story on Out of reason's reach, just a few below this thread. To me one of the many reasons where there is synchronicity is when some things just can't be explained by logic nor can you prove it with that.

There have been several instances that have led me to ponder this topic... to contend with my innate curiosity. Several 'coincidental/psychic' occurences have happened over the course of these several years:

I had a dream in which my grandparents basement had flooded, only to wake up to discover that it had over the course of those several hours.

A gut feeling that something was wrong, terribly wrong... only to get home from school and discover that my uncle had committed suicide.

Another terrible gut feeling a few months later, in which I came down stairs from watching some horror/thriller movie... writing it off as a mere bi-product of the horror movie... and while back in my room, someone had broken into our house... simply by walking in the front door. This feeling though was so strong, so terrible.. that I felt physically sick to my stomach.

Hearing a song that I disliked on the radio, I switched to another station as a song was finishing.. I said to myself, that it will be 'that' song and sure enough, it came on the radio.

I was driving down the highway, the roads were unussually clear-- even for a highway that rarely saw accidents, the lady on the radio assured it's listeners that the highway was free of backups or traffic collisions... something didn't seem right... and on the way back home, a few km from my house was a horrific car accident.

Sometimes when I haven't spoken to anyone in a long time (over text/phone) I think of them, and sure enough.. when I check my phone, they have messaged.

I don't know if some of these occurences and feelings were simply instinctual, or there is some psychic merrit to them which i could in turn, hone whatever psychic abilities I may possess. Unless these are all simply coincidental?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Today I had the feeling that I would experience some coincidences right before I set out to drive somewhere I enjoy going. I notice that feeling in the air (or in me) some days, and just know 'something' will happen.

I drove to a small hidden beach I like to go to for peace some times, and on the drive there was listening to a song where the lyrics said something about the shadow of the Sun hitting someone's face or something. I can't remember the exact lyrics, but just remember my thought in reaction to it. I thought it sounded weird, like as if the Sun was emitting a shadow itself (instead of shadow being caused from lack of sunlight), and I wondered how this would be possible. I then thought of a black hole Sun type deal, remembering the Soundgarden song.

I had a nice visit to my beach, then on the drive home was listening to a Type O Negative song, and heard the lyrics "In the shadow of the light from a black sun", which describes exactly what I was thinking of on my drive in.

It was personally blatant to me that this indeed was my 'something'.

Then, almost reaching home, I thought that a street light might go out soon (this is a thing that would happen all of the time with me for a period, and is highly associated personally with coincidence/synchronicity for me).

Not more than 5 seconds later, a street light I drove up to went out. This was the fastest it has ever happened for me, from thought to effect.

Edited by _Only

Another little funny one today (a common type for me).

I was looking for a vocal track to the song 'Pepper' by Butthole Surfers just now on YouTube. I typed 'pepper acapella', and the first result was 'Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under The Bridge Acapella'. Well, not what I was looking for, but a pretty good find nonetheless, so I clicked on it, and looked at Flea's t-shirt in the video.

• Like 2

While your thread's back up _Only, I'd thought that I'd share another one. This one is again coincidental.

About 7 or 8 years ago I flew to Cancun on vacation. The flight back however was cancelled for mechanical reasons and while everyone was standing in the lineup waiting to find out what they were going to do with us someone got bored and started asking people where they were from.

People were telling everyone else where they were from and when it came for my turn, I said "Likely". I was confident that no one else had heard of it because only about 300 people live here, in the middle of nowhere at the end of the road.

I was getting blank stares from everyone of course until a girl, standing right behind me said, "Hey, I know Likely, my aunt lives there." As it turned out I was working with her aunt at the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oddly, for some of us, synchronicity can revolved around entertainment media, especially music.

After seeing the following movie:

...which is about a secret agent listening in on the lives of others in East Germany, who starts to become emotional over them to the point of helping them, it then made me think about a song from May 2011.

There's playlists I make each month and it so happens that the next day the May 2011 playlist CD was selected out of the many of them.

[media=]

Of course the odds of this happening are not astronomical. It was May 2013 and and I already heard May 2010 so put in May 2011. Still had that song been on any other month of any other year it would not have been played the next day.

To top it off that same week on the history channel was an hour show on the Berlin Wall which had a part to play in The Lives of Others movie. Score!

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

I know what you mean about it not having astronomical odds or anything, but it just puts a twinkle on your mind's eye, so to speak.

The same thing happened to me recently, when I got a very uncharacteristic urge to learn about the Donner Party, and to take a very long drive to visit the spot of their memorial at Donner Memorial state park, at the foot of the Sierra Nevada's. This visit made me even more fascinated and inspired by their story, so I decided I wanted to watch a full documentary of their whole journey the next day, back at home. I found a video on YouTube and started watching it. I looked down at the comments, and saw one of the recent comments mentioning that this day (the day I was watching the video and reading the comment) was the 167th anniversary of the day the Donner's and company first set off from home on their famous trip. They were right! 1 in 365 chance, but it was the twinkle in my mind's eye that made it great to me.

Sometimes I wonder if coincidences aren't just uncontrolled circumstances by whatever outside source, but created by the experiencer, whether they are consciously aware of their creation or not. But to go further with that idea, you'd have to believe that we personally (as well as collectively) create our own reality.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

Yes, yes, yes to your whole last paragraph. I wonder too and it seems highly plausible synchronicity is proof of our roles in co-creation as co-creators of reality.

The feeling of being a rat in a cage, a mouse on a wheel, is destroyed by synchronicity without even thinking about it. Ironically, somehow, it feels that way. You would think it would work in favor of predetermination and not freewill. (I actually believe both cooperate and are not mutually exclusive opposites, just opposites in illusion like many other pairs we consider opposites but which are two sides of the same exact coin). The feeling of synchronicity is exactly like flipping a coin and having it land on its perfect edge.

Also, strictly speaking, your chances were greater than 1 in 365. One has to factor in you decided to visit the Donner memorial the day before, then to watch a YouTube video, then factor in the 1 in 365 on top of all that. Not a mathematician but if we had one with time to spare they could probably figure out the odds.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a story don't know where it goes could be a coincidence or paranormal

But a few years ago my friends mom was sick they live right around the block.

So she had cancer bad so on Saturday night I was watching tv and at 11:00

My tv got really bright and the next day I found out she passed at 11:00 the night before

And my other friends mom passed she was like my second mom when she passed

I just got a weird feeling

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a reflective one moment of synchronicity that happened today. Sorry for the long description, but it is necessary to hit it home.

11 years ago, In my last year of high school, I scored highly on the standardized testing, which was a year that the Governor's Scholarship program was active (2000-2002). I ended up somehow earning a $1,000 scholarship to further my higher education ventures.

I quickly forgot about the opportunity, being 18 and clueless, so apart from feeling smart for a little while, I turned my attention back to punk rock and skateboarding.

Very soon after this point, I got kicked out of my house, cut school almost every day, introduced myself to drugs, and quickly learned how to forget about life's non narcotic induced good's and bad's. I barely graduated from high school due to missing so many days the last half of the year, and moved to my dad's afterwards. This is the time when most people figure out who they are and make their moves in life. Instead, I did more drugs. A lot more. I remembered less and less about me and life, or anything. My world got smaller and smaller until I was suffocating. This was a downhill spiral over the span of many years, which got so bad that most wouldn't understand the way I lived. Some would, but not most.

Long story slightly longer, at some point seemingly random to me, I had some back to back dreams that completely changed my outlook on life, made me feel everything again, and got me a huge burst of a push to push my out of my hole. Ever since this night/day, I see things in different ways than before, feel things I didn't before, and have an unbelievably powerful need to do the right thing, do the best that I can, and fight my fear and hate.

One of the early things which manifested from this change in direction was the facing of one of my biggest fears; talking to my mom again, who I hadn't seen or talked to since I left 11 years ago, despite her early attempts otherwise. Since then, contact has been restored and relationships renewing.

One of the times I visited the house she handed me a notice she had just gotten about my old governor's scholarship. It said that the account open in my name was about to be sent to the state if I didn't collect the funds by my 30th birthday (in 4 months now). This was a big push to send me on another milestone of continuing my educational/life interests by going to school for something I enjoy, and to expand my horizons which I should have done 11 years ago, but sometimes stories don't go the way you'd like, even when you're the writer.

I've made many other little milestones and personal goals/accomplishments met in this short recent past, but the one of continuing where I left off into finding further education for things I am interested in learning about to maybe make my life's work had't been met. It feels so much like I arrived at a stop sign in life, and sat there for 11 years.

But finally after some working at it, after choosing a school to go to, applying, picking my classes (through true personal interest and not for any other reasons than my own), enrolling, and paying, today I feel like I am getting up to walk past that stop sign. I know I have already left it behind in some ways, but this moment is one I can really put a bold symbolic picture to, and say that I am back on the road again. Even if I fail, it's the intent that makes it the moment for me. I chose to get up and keep going.

So, the point of all of that is that it's been a long 11 years, in so many ways.

My moment of synchronicity happened after I put the form for the Governor's Scholarship into an envelope, got into my car to go mail it. I sat in the car and turned it on, then grabbed a stamp out of the center console, stuck it on, feeling right. I dropped it on the seat next to me, and turned the CD player up so I could hear it, to hear: http://www.youtube.c...dhQk#t=0m26.75s

Edited by _Only
  • Like 2

A few years ago I read that copper was a great conductor to use while meditating, especially natural copper encrusted with quartz is the best.

While thinking about how to get some, I went outside to the garage to get something to fix a wobbly table leg, the screw driver had fallen off the the wall and slid between the outside wall and half finished inside wall.Fished out the screw driver and noticed something else was in there. .It was a piece of natural copper with quartz encrusted in it.

• Like 3

I have a good one, I met my husband 4 months after his 18 bday. We met in an online chat room. After we dated for a few months he introduced me to his great aunt. Turns out she was a regular customer at the diner I worked at a few yrs back and already knew her. Not only that she had brought him with her to the diner he was 14 at this time. We had met before and didnt know it! His cousin hung out at a friend of mines for years wen I was young. We realized this as I was meeting his family. He also worked at the public transportation hub in the city I lived in and I had seen him there, realizing this after we met online and than in person. And now two years into our marriage we found out both of our biological fathers were drinking buddys wen my husband was about 2. Im wondering if we will find any more strange things out lol

• Like 1

I wouldn't be able to count them all. I honestly remember being a kid and noticing it happening a lot and thinking I should keep a log of everytime it happens. I think at the time I thought it was something 'special' lol.

Then years went by and it was the same, but now I kept thinking "If only I kept a log all those years ago, I would have books full".

It wasn't until the internet came along and learnt what the deal was.

• Like 1

A quick funny one happened last night. My son was watching T.V and I walked into the room and asked him if he wanted some ice cream. Before he could reply, Michelangelo's voice (he was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) came from the T.V with a loud and enthusiastic, "I looove icecream!"

Made us laugh all night. :)

• Like 3

I don't know if this counts but I had a funny string of songs that played along with a conversation with a friend that I was talking to on the phone one night. He was telling me that he wanted to go to NY and try life in another state, etc., etc... and I was trying to talk sense into him saying that jobs are hard to come by these days and especially NY, the cost of living would eat him up and just stick with what he's got and roll with it until things pick up. Then he tells me that he dumped his gf because of this decision and to make matters worse they were even thinking of getting married before this rash idea he came up with. Well, I imagine he was a jerk to his gf and he told me, "Oh well, next..." as in I can just get another. Well, the funny part was, I was listening to the radio while on the phone, and they were playing the Allman Bros., "Rambling Man" then followed by Van Halen, "Jamie's Cryin'" and finally Queen, "Another One Bites the Dust". Oh and yes, I did call him back because I didn't know what his gf's name was and no it wasn't Jamie but Jane... close enough, I guess...

• Like 1