Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pre-Viking tunic found on glacier

Still Waters

A pre-Viking woolen tunic found beside a thawing glacier in south Norway shows how global warming is proving something of a boon for archaeology, scientists said on Thursday.

The greenish-brown, loose-fitting outer clothing — suitable for a person up to about 5 feet, 9 inches tall (176 centimeters) — was found 6,560 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level on what may have been a Roman-era trade route in south Norway. Carbon dating showed it was made around the year 300.

http://science.nbcne...rchaeology?lite

• Like 4

I wonder if they found my wooden peg leg ...

• Like 1

That's too cool!

Now for my complaint. From the article:

OSLO — A pre-Viking woolen tunic found beside a thawing glacier in south Norway shows how global warming is proving something of a boon for archaeology, scientists said on Thursday.

Also from the article:

"It's worrying that glaciers are melting, but it's exciting for us archaeologists,"

also this:

The shrinkage is blamed on climate change, stoked by human-caused emissions of greenhouse gases from burning fossil fuels.

and this

The experts in Oslo said one puzzle was why anyone would take off a warm tunic by a glacier.

One possibility was that the owner was suffering from cold in a snowstorm and grew confused with hypothermia, which sometimes makes suffers take off clothing because they wrongly feel hot.

Oh come on!!! If that's true where is the corpse? Obviously this glacier has grown since this tunic was likey not left on the ice. As a matter of fact it was warm enough to take off your tunic right? My point being that glaciers ebb and flow like the tide of a more liquid form of water only much much more slowly. Stop using every opportunity to try to make it seem as though soon there will be no ice in the world and how tragic this will be for all of us. :td:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6

Also, is it just me or does the scientist look like Sigourney Weaver?

Sad the glaciers are melting but this is a great find, glad they found it before it start rotting. I think they need to get busy and find some more artifacts before its too late.

I think she looks like Sigourney Weaver too.

• Like 1

Maybe there was a Sauna hut around there at the time ?.Don't these guys use Sauna's in the snow then run out butt nekid.

• Like 1

See people its a cycle. Global warming is a cycle. Glaciers will recede and advance.

• Like 4

A more likely explanation is that it was a spare (or maybe being taken to sell) that fell out of someones pack.

• Like 3

A more likely explanation is that it was a spare (or maybe being taken to sell) that fell out of someones pack.

It still means that the glacier was this small before.

• Like 3

See people its a cycle. Global warming is a cycle. Glaciers will recede and advance.

You can't tax everyone if it is cyclical and normal, it has to be man-made so Al Gore can make another Billion.

• Like 5

People have been known to take off clothes as they get confused as they freeze. This could have happened and then he wandered off. However, I like the "Oscar 77" answer (above) better.

• Like 1

That tunic has some skinny sleeves... Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken but it looks like a very wiry person wore it.

• Like 1

That tunic has some skinny sleeves... Maybe it's just the angle the photo was taken but it looks like a very wiry person wore it.

It being wool means it's probably a very stretchy fabric. It was probably meant to fit very snugly.

And looking at it, it almost looks like it's knitted in a rib stitch. And if it's knit/woven in anything like that, it'll be super stretchy.

• Like 1

He may have simplyg changed and forgot it. But, I don't see how. Most peopler tadke a change cloths except for their coat.

I was wondering where I left that.

• Like 1

pretty cool ! the tunic was carbon dated at year 300 .. so, the glacier was at that level (as danielost said)... then continued to thicken and expand.. until, melting outpaced growth.

(just thought someone should state the obvious ,lol)

hi Aus Der Box Sceptisch , you mentioned that global warming is a cycle.. Do you know of a chart or graph that shows these cycles?... and, the durations of these cycles?

not to put you on the spot... i'm just curious.

You can't tax everyone if it is cyclical and normal, it has to be man-made so Al Gore can make another Billion.

No serious scientist ever said that it's not a cycle. And researchers don't say that's man-made. We know very well that the average temperatures change during time, and in the last hundred of thousands of years there have been warm periods alternated with cooler (if not glacial) ones.

If the tunic's dating is correct, it falls perfectly in the Roman Warm Period, spanning more or less from 250 BC to 400 AD. It was a warmer time than today's, Romans were even able to cultivate grapevine in Germany (The famous Rheinwein is all that's left, thanks to the river Rehin's microclimate).

So, no wonder that it lied under the ice for all this time.

The problem isn't that the antropic activity triggered the climate change, but that it enhances this change.

We don't even know if, by nature, we're headed to an even warmer period or if we're already on the pike and soon there will be another cold period.

What we know, is that man is changing the rules of the game and maybe he's also changing the famous "cycle" Aus Der Box Skeptisch talks about.

It's a fact that temperatures are rising. If we help this process with our actions, increasing the speed of change and rising the temperatures even more, we could pass the point of no return, destroying nature's balance.

• Like 1

Glaciers advance and recede , but when was the last time the arctic had ice free summers? Isn't that what 'they' are talking about happening soon?

• Like 1

Glaciers advance and recede , but when was the last time the arctic had ice free summers? Isn't that what 'they' are talking about happening soon?

During the ice age. That is due to the gulf stream flowing into the arctic ocean.

• Like 2

A pre-Viking woolen tunic found beside a thawing glacier in south Norway shows how global warming is proving something of a boon for archaeology, scientists said on Thursday.

The greenish-brown, loose-fitting outer clothing — suitable for a person up to about 5 feet, 9 inches tall (176 centimeters) — was found 6,560 feet (2,000 meters) above sea level on what may have been a Roman-era trade route in south Norway. Carbon dating showed it was made around the year 300.

http://science.nbcne...rchaeology?lite

The melting of glaciers is a natural process. Nothing to do with global warming.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun
  • Like 1

The melting of glaciers is a natural process. Nothing to do with global warming.

?

I would say it has something to do with global warming. If it were global cooling, they wouldn't be melting.

These finds are one of the positives of global warming. Another is the extra farmable land.

• Like 2