Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Reflection: Wounded Knee Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Conquered is more of a term. Indian's were already weaken by smallpox, so only a few pockets of tribes left. Now can we get off this retched subject for now? I hate people throwing my ancestors tragic past into the face of others, to justify fighting over already established land. GET OVER IT! It is the past, move on, respect current borders. It insults me more than anything, when someone uses my ancestors as a example for other to smuggle humans across the border or to fight deportation when they never made any efforts to become citizens. Why do you think I get very mad and emotional when it is compared to my ancestors tragic past? Illegal Immigrants are opportunities and insensitive to my tribe's history.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 28 February 2013 - 07:46 PM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

The Indians lost the war? That simple huh?

View PostBama13, on 28 February 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

A dumb, inaccurate quote is still dumb and inaccurate.

Most countries stole the land they currently occupy from someone else, who had stolen it from someone else.

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must." Thucydides
America is not a country, its a whole continent. When Thucydides quoted that, he was not referring to the same kind of thing at all. I would not have said he Indians were weak and that they had to suffer what they must!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

America is not a country, its a whole continent. When Thucydides quoted that, he was not referring to the same kind of thing at all. I would not have said he Indians were weak and that they had to suffer what they must!

America is commonly used to refer to the United States of America. North America and South America are commonly used to denote the continent's. Sorry if I confused you with my post.

If the Indians were stronger than the invaders they would have won. They weren't and didn't. They were not equal in strength therefore they suffered what they must.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#19    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostBama13, on 28 February 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

America is commonly used to refer to the United States of America. North America and South America are commonly used to denote the continent's. Sorry if I confused you with my post.

If the Indians were stronger than the invaders they would have won. They weren't and didn't. They were not equal in strength therefore they suffered what they must.

The law of nature... either live strong or die weak.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#20    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I would like to think that strength wise, the Indians were must stronger, its the  guns and the power it gave the Europeans, which the Indians could not compete with.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#21    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

I would like to think that strength wise, the Indians were must stronger, its the  guns and the power it gave the Europeans, which the Indians could not compete with.

Physically they probably were, militarily they were not. It is military strength that wins wars, not physical strength. The days of one champion fighting another champion to decide a war are long gone.

I am not saying that what happened was right, just that it was the norm. Stronger countries/peoples took from weaker countries/peoples.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#22    Bama13

Bama13

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 28 February 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

The law of nature... either live strong or die weak.

One of my favorites quotes from "A Game of Thrones" is: In the game of thrones you either win or die.

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 28 February 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Conquered is more of a term. Indian's were already weaken by smallpox, so only a few pockets of tribes left. Now can we get off this retched subject for now? I hate people throwing my ancestors tragic past into the face of others, to justify fighting over already established land. GET OVER IT! It is the past, move on, respect current borders. It insults me more than anything, when someone uses my ancestors as a example for other to smuggle humans across the border or to fight deportation when they never made any efforts to become citizens. Why do you think I get very mad and emotional when it is compared to my ancestors tragic past? Illegal Immigrants are opportunities and insensitive to my tribe's history.
I was not at all meaning it as an insult. it was  just a quote, how it has got to be taken apart like this I do not know! I by no way apologize for putting it, I apologize to you if you felt insulted by it, but I never thought some would have seen it as deep as they have. personally i find that extremely petty. No more will be said by me about it.

#24    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,319 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 28 February 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

I was not at all meaning it as an insult. it was  just a quote, how it has got to be taken apart like this I do not know! I by no way apologize for putting it, I apologize to you if you felt insulted by it, but I never thought some would have seen it as deep as they have. personally i find that extremely petty. No more will be said by me about it.

I just get mad of people using the past justify actions today. Today is today, today is not the past.

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 28 February 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

I just get mad of people using the past justify actions today. Today is today, today is not the past.

You are right, so lets stick to what this thread is really about: The Wounded Knee Anniversary "But organizers hope the events remind people of the struggles that led to the standoff and problems still reverberating throughout Indian Country, as well as changes the protest helped spark."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users