Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exxon constructing massive platform

jugoso

Exxon and its partners are constructing a massive platform that will sit on the ocean floor and rise more than 300 feet to the surface, then an additional 300 feet above the water. The structure is almost as tall as the Eiffel Tower, and weighs more than twice as much as the Empire State Building. Full funding for its construction was announced earlier this month.

Canada has permitted the $14 billion project to move forward and offshore drilling advocates say the US should follow suit by opening its North Atlantic waters to oil drilling as well, critics and environmentalists say that oil companies have proven over and over again that they are simply not equipped to deal with the dangerous conditions.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/17/news/economy/exxon-offshore-drilling/

http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2013/01/17-2

I have to say that Canada's environmental policies of late coupled with drastic cuts in environmental process and oversight show a blatant disregard for the environment that´s disgraceful IMO and sooner or later many will pay the price for it.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the world needs oil and will do anything to get it.

I was wondering what kind of environmental policies Mexico has.

I thought Exxon's reputation with oil disasters was the end of them. They could've have found a better partner for this venture surely.

Unfortunately the world needs oil and will do anything to get it.

I was wondering what kind of environmental policies Mexico has.

The question made me chuckle. The laws are certainly more lax than many "developed" countries which was/is part of the incentive for American and Canadian industries to move here. Even if the laws are on the books, there are always lots of enforcement problems. Corruption is pretty rampant here too making it even more difficult. There´s a thermo-electric power station close to my city and they spew out all kinds of crap above established limits, usually with no consequences .

Edited by jugoso

I thought Exxon's reputation with oil disasters was the end of them. They could've have found a better partner for this venture surely.

Sing along; "What do you with a drunken sailor, put him in charge of an Exxon cruiser, oily in the morning."

• Like 2

Sing along; "What do you with a drunken sailor, put him in charge of an Exxon cruiser, oily in the morning."

:w00t::tu: