Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Over 250 Bottlenose Dolphins now in The Cove

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Japan is going to have some blowback over this; because this time the whales are cute.

From the article:

Five separate pods of Bottlenose dolphins were driven into Taiji’s infamous killing cove yesterday and held overnight. This now massive pod of more than 250 dolphins includes babies and juveniles, including a rare albino calf who has been clinging as closely as possible to his or her mother in the stress and panic of the drive hunt.

http://www.seashephe...ghter-at-1-1546

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:18 AM

They don't kill the babies. They just slaughter their family in front of them, and throw them back for next year.

Miss me?

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:24 AM

https://www.causes.c...-albino-dolphin

http://www.seashephe...you-can-do.html

Miss me?

#4    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

Hi Simbi well it's good to see I'm not alone.

And another really simple thing people could do to help - they're running a video contest right now too, the video they're looking for must document the connection between the local slaughter at Taiji and the international dolphin trade, including all of these fun fabulous water parks in the US and elsewhere, where everyone can bring their little kids to look at the big cute fish.   It doesn't matter that their entire families were killed, doesn't matter that their family bonds are far stronger than even human beings', it doesn't matter that they were kidnap victims nor that they're destined to live their lives out as prisoners performing stupid human tricks like a good little dumb animal.   The contest rules are pretty simple.  It can't exceed three minutes and you can't use copyrighted material obviously but anything from any Sea Shepherd website or channel is fine to use in the production of it.   Two winners - a $500 prize for each.  If I won I'd be happy with the recognition I'd receive and I'd donate the money right back to them.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#5    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,412 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

The Cove Guardians have observed 51 dolphins removed from the cove.   Though the dolphins have now been trapped for days, Japanese fishermen are now lowering tarps down over the 'undesirable' dolphins (the ones with scars or other abnormalities) so they can slaughter them in private.

#6    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:57 AM

I don't see the big deal. Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct, and this hunt is nothing compared to the amount of fish caught every day, many of which are from species that aren't in nearly good of shape as those dolphins.

What about all those sharks that are being killed in Japan just for their fins? How many "activists" do you see defending them? They all just latch onto the cute animals.

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#7    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

I am thinking to spit the first 250 Japanese ppl right in the face for that. That is a small price to pay for stupidity ignorance and heartless nation..

http://www.news.com....-1226806356567#

Edited by qxcontinuum, 21 January 2014 - 06:04 AM.

#8    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,211 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:14 AM

View Postbeelzebufo, on 21 January 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

I don't see the big deal. Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct, and this hunt is nothing compared to the amount of fish caught every day, many of which are from species that aren't in nearly good of shape as those dolphins.

What about all those sharks that are being killed in Japan just for their fins? How many "activists" do you see defending them? They all just latch onto the cute animals.

Is this a case of 'either/or'?

The premise that "Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct", I find highly suspect. Can you provide studies about that?

#9    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Is not a number!

• 9,913 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:27 AM

They don't even have the good grace to claim "science" as an excuse this time.

#10    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:54 AM

View Postbeelzebufo, on 21 January 2014 - 02:57 AM, said:

That is a good point, I was stunned to hear that 12 to 14 tonnes of freshwater fish are harvested from Lake Victoria in Africa

Get this -

Daily!

And that's just Nile Perch.

They will stop Japan selling them to Asian Water Parks for display, but does anyone raise an eye at Seaworld?

Posted Image

Edited by psyche101, 21 January 2014 - 07:00 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#11    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostLikely Guy, on 21 January 2014 - 06:14 AM, said:

Is this a case of 'either/or'?

The premise that "Bottlenose dolphins are in no danger of becoming extinct", I find highly suspect. Can you provide studies about that?

Wiki says:

Bottlenose dolphins are not endangered. Their future is stable because of their abundance and adaptability. However, specific populations are threatened due to various environmental changes. The population in the Moray Firth in Scotland is estimated to consist of around 150 animals, and is declining by around 6% per year from harassment, traumatic injury, water pollution and reduction in food availability. Likewise, an isolated population in Doubtful Sound, New Zealand, is in decline due to calf loss coincident to an increase in warm freshwater discharge into the fjord.[115] Less local climate change, such as increasing water temperature may also play a role but has never been shown to be the case.[116]

In US waters, hunting and harassing of marine mammals is forbidden in almost all circumstances.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#12    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,211 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

So. They are not endangered, globally, as a species, but some populations are threatened due to environmental changes.

Well, that's a soothing thought.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,221 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

Logically I don't have a problem with them capturing and killing dolphins for food. But how they go about it can be brutal. And people love dolphins for some reason. There is something about the whole cove turning red that digs at your morality.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode about the whaling and dolphins?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    beelzebufo

beelzebufo

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:37 AM

I really dislike the whole save-the-dolphins movement. These people have actually caused the oceans more harm than good. How many of you know of and buy "dolphin safe tuna"? Well...
http://www.forbes.co...724fishing.html

I don't have any academic background or qualification or life.
However, I can absorb all substances into the body from my eyes.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,759 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 21 January 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

Logically I don't have a problem with them capturing and killing dolphins for food. But how they go about it can be brutal. And people love dolphins for some reason. There is something about the whole cove turning red that digs at your morality.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode about the whaling and dolphins?

Agreed, but it would not be the first time cultures have shocked each other. It would be nice to see Japan take a more benevolent approach I agree, but I think telling then that they are barbarians will only make it worse. There has to be a better way to approach the subject.

Yep, I have a fair bit of Southpark at home. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users