Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Croatia becomes 28th EU member

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Croatia has become the 28th member of the European Union, with crowds joining celebrations in the capital Zagreb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-23118035

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#2    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:17 AM

I hope they won't regret it....joining the EU at this point seems to me like showing up at a party too late, when everybody is drunk or sick already.

#3    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostJacques Terreur, on 01 July 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

I hope they won't regret it....joining the EU at this point seems to me like showing up at a party too late, when everybody is drunk or sick already.

:tu:

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#4    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,256 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Climbing aboard the gravy train just as the station announcer announces that all services are cancelled until further notice due to a landslip.

Well, as they won't be joining the elite club of membership of the Euro yet, so I suppose they might have cause to celebrate the opportunity to benefit from the generosity of the EU (no strings attached, of course), for just as long as it lasts, and clearly they don't mind handing over their sovereignity to a centralised authority, so good luck to them.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 01 July 2013 - 07:22 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 July 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

celebrate the opportunity to benefit from the generosity of the EU

Its all up to Croats. EU isnt ultimate security. There is no such thing. But EU will gave better chances.
Look Estonia, Poland...

#6    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 01 July 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

.... and clearly they don't mind handing over their sovereignity to a centralised authority, so good luck to them.

that's exactly what it's about, as seen in spain or especially greece. The times of rolling tanks into countries are over, now it's done by promising benefits of joining the club....

#7    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

Do you mind that your capital is in Washington and not in LA, New york, Chicago...?

Edited by the L, 01 July 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#8    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

Croatia is a great country! Have you ever seen the movie the Terminal..
wonderful film!!

Bad move I say Joining the EU...
Hopefully all goes well for them either way.

Do you Fear The Ouija?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUCPmNBbLHM
Wisdom of Magic and Natural Healing Potions enjoy
http://healingpotion...ic.blogspot.com

#9    Jacques Terreur

Jacques Terreur

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

View Postthe L, on 01 July 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Do you mind that your capital is in Washington and not in LA, New york, Chicago...?

Posted Image

;)

#10    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Now is probably the best time for countries to join the EU, right before the EU comes back stronger than ever.
Stronger banking unit, large investments in employment, EU-US trade deal,...
Good on Croatia! Beautiful country.

#11    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 7,939 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

dig deep in those pockets, another country we'll have to finance. the EU club has really become a club of also rans. the quicker we leave the better. who else have we got to look forward to joining in the coming years, economic powerhouses such as Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey. what a bloody shambles. these countries offer nothing at all. these countries citizens are the equivalent of job seekers coming to the social security office (the big three economies in the EU, Germany UK, and France) needing to be financed. how can people turn a blind eye to the problems that exist to day. with the influx of EU migrants on our infrastructure at present the cost to Hospitals Schools etc........with the influx of migrants from poor EU nations we are inadvertently reducing our own living standards and wages. i can give examples, here in Liverpool when Liverpool one a new shopping area was being built, the employed foreign EU migrant workers because of their low demands and wages. a mate of mine was working on the site as a glazer putting the new windows in, he was getting paid £14 an hour, half way through the project his boss said the company was in financial trouble and he, and his fellow workers will be made jobless on the friday, friday come and went, and they were all made jobless, a week later through knowing others in the site - they found out they'd all been replaced with Polish workers getting the minimum wage which was £5.90. a week later the boss phoned the British lads up asking them to come back because the polish lads had made a mess of the job, they all told the boss were to go,

another example a big clothes chain here in Liverpool has a warehouse, all the workers were in the main British. through years of service,15years+  - seventeen of the workers had 25years plus service to the company. so through trade union talks and EARNING better working pay and conditions over the decades they were on between £8.00 and £11.00 an hour, - my cousin who was the supervisor retells me what happened. all of the warehouse staff were made redundant, except for the supervisors, the company then went into administration, but through a loophole once the people were gone, days later they re-established the company, they recruited EU migrants entirely in the warehouse, completely replacing the British workers, all the new workers were on the minimum wage, my cousin who remained as the supervisor eventually left a few weeks later, because the place and people he'd known for years decades had gone, and the dirt had been done to his work colleagues.

I've heard of this happening all over the place mainly on building sites. so if you believe in unlimited open border policy be prepared to have your living standards lowered and when the infrastructure starts to strain by the numbers dont be moaning about the level of service or standards,  or the rise in taxes to fund the decline. you want it you live with it.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#12    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 01 July 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

dig deep in those pockets, another country we'll have to finance.
And another country to get cream from.

the EU club has really become a club of also rans. the quicker we leave the better. who else have we got to look forward to joining in the coming years, economic powerhouses such as Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia and Turkey. what a bloody shambles. these countries offer nothing at all. these countries citizens are the equivalent of job seekers coming to the social security office (the big three economies in the EU, Germany UK, and France) needing to be financed.

Only shame here is your knowledge on economy. If you didnt know Iceland vote NO for EU.
On another hand Turkey have to offer more then UK will be ever to able to offer. :w00t:

...There is saying in my country. "You cant have sex and to not get it inside."
You would take profit and not offer nothing...Yeah right. Nice try.

Edited by the L, 01 July 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#13    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

stevewin what your country have to offer?

Here is what my country have to offer.

Typicall racisistic and imperialistic trash talking.

Posted Image

Edited by the L, 01 July 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#14    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,178 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Croatia is certainly a very beautiful country. With this access for Europeans to the Nation then I feel confident that tourism will really "explode" (metaphorically speaking) and so remove a lot of the desire to emigrate to richer nations. Lets also not forget that housing is very cheap and a lot of people will be able to afford a house on the Med coast in which to retire, and cost of living is much lower than in the UK or Spain.

@Stevewinn. Your points are well made Steve, and probably underlies a lot of UK Citizens concerns, but do not forget, Accession to the EU requires a Unanimous vote to succeed so in a very real sense, you (via your Member of Parliament proxy) have agreed to this.

I think the "Polish Experience" has soured a lot of People's experience with the EU, the UK people were told of a max 75,000 Polish would arrive over 5 years, and yet, it turned out to be 850,000 (still counting). Some family members have come to stay with us in Spain, and they tell us that some signposts (in Southampton) are even Bi - lingual English - Polish!! Also, some Housing Associations in Southampton also refuse to let a percentage of their Housing stock (20%) to Indigenous English (IE those born in England). I am also told, but cannot verify this, that the Housing Officers who create Policy are also recent Polish Emigres!!!

#15    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,256 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

View Postthe L, on 01 July 2013 - 02:25 PM, said:

stevewin what your country have to offer?

Here is what my country have to offer.

Typicall racisistic and imperialistic trash talking.

Posted Image
indeed. Sometimes there's more to make makes something valuable than merely the Economic contribution it can make to some great Central Bank.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 01 July 2013 - 04:21 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users