Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity Finds a 'Floating Spoon' on Mars

Anomalocaris

This is obviously a pareidolia, but a good one :D

We’ve seen “rats,” “yetis,” “faces,” even “elephants” on Mars, but this new image captured by NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity is one of the most fascinating views of a rock formation on the Martian surface yet.

Sure, like these other examples I’ve included in “quotes,” this “spoon” is yet another wonderful example of Mars pareidolia, but with a twist.

Read more

There's a similar formation on the other end.

We have the start of a two place setting. All we need now are the plates, salad bowls, salad forks, spoons and knives. Can't forget the dessert dishes and coffee cups and saucers. :-*

Seriously, if some people have enough time to look for objects in the Martian photos, they have too much time on their hands.

• Like 4

Sigh..

Is it a silver spoon or stainless?

How is it not floating? There's a clear and obvious shadow that follows the contours of the "spoon" perfectly.

Edit to add--

If you look to the far right of the photo, there is another slender spoon-like object with a shadow being cast underneath...how many more of these bizarre anomalies are there? What shapes rock to look like that? I'm easily drawn in to sensationalism...

Edited by Dark_Grey

There's a clear and obvious shadow that follows the contours of the "spoon" perfectly.

Right up to the point where it is clearly and obviously attached to the larger rock.

• Like 2

Right up to the point where it is clearly and obviously attached to the larger rock.

Right, so it's still suspended is my point. Above ground, not on it. I get the pareidolia - really I do. But damn there is a lot of weirdness on Mars regardless of the complex geological explanations.

• Like 1

So, for the object to be suspended like this, would the underside have been eroded somehow - water or wind, I assume. And the bit standing is a tougher material that didn't easily erode?

It's not a spoon, it's clearly the head and neck section from a Klingon D7 battle cruiser, you can clearly see it's still attached to the body embedded in the rock....being on Mars it does also look like the head and neck section from the 1970's War of the Worlds martian machines.

Edited by Talion78

It's not a spoon, it's clearly the head and neck section from a Klingon D7 battle cruiser, you can clearly see it's still attached to the body embedded in the rock....being on Mars it does also look like the head and neck section from the 1970's War of the Worlds martian machines.

Small Klingons. Don't forget the Romulans had the design first.

There's a similar formation on the other end.

Yeah - follow the "spoon" to the right and there's a mirror image, "on the other side". What the...?

Small Klingons. Don't forget the Romulans had the design first.

of course but have you ever seen a small Romulan.......i thought not :whistle:

Yeah - follow the "spoon" to the right and there's a mirror image, "on the other side". What the...?

the entire area looks suspect, with a lot of strange shapes.....almost like a dust covered pile of scrap metal.

• Like 1

But damn there is a lot of weirdness on Mars regardless of the complex geological explanations.

Let's not forget that it is an alien planet, it's not going to look exactly like Earth. There are plenty of unusual rock formations on Earth.

I think it would be weird if we didn't find weird things on Mars. Besides it doesn't need a complex geological explanation, it needs quite a simple one, this:

So, for the object to be suspended like this, would the underside have been eroded somehow - water or wind, I assume. And the bit standing is a tougher material that didn't easily erode?

Whether it is wind or water would rather depend on its age. Mars had liquid water in the past. It now has strong winds and sand storms. The frosts Mars experiences may also be involved in the weathering of the rocks.

I wonder if it may be the fossilized tunnel of some kind of organism? We find fossilized worm tunnels from the Pre-Cambrian here on Earth that might look like that under the same environmental circumstances.

You guys know what this means? The Martians were more civilized than some humans, evidently using utensils to eat instead of having grease run down their sleeves! :innocent: