Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't know if this counts as a urban legend

Darklight_1248

Someone told me that your heart stopped beating when you sneeze.Anybody eles heard of this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pax Unum

• Darklight_1248

• crouton

• najaesouljah

On a similar subject, is it true that if your eyes were open when you sneeze, your eyeballs would fly out?

^^While a sneeze has enough power to stop your heart, it doesn't actually stop it when you sneeze.

no, your heart does not stop when you sneeze. check your pulse next time to prove this to yourself... :)

On a similar subject, is it true that if your eyes were open when you sneeze, your eyeballs would fly out?

Eye sockets are made of bone, they aren't connected to the nasal passages, and there are no muscles behind the eyes that contract when you sneeze, so there's really no mechanism involved in a sneeze that could force your eyes out of their sockets... :)

Sneezin'

Edited by Pax Unum

Interesting link, thanks. I heard one could break their 'face bone' (apparently the front of the skull) if one suppressed a sneeze. Don't believe it.

Interesting link, thanks. I heard one could break their 'face bone' (apparently the front of the skull) if one suppressed a sneeze. Don't believe it.

Halting a sneeze in progress, by pinching your nose, could result in the rupture of an eardrum though... :yes:

Unfortanly, this is true, also, if you sneeze to hard, you can break a rib.

QUOTE(jabberwocky @ May 2 2006, 12:35 AM) On a similar subject, is it true that if your eyes were open when you sneeze, your eyeballs would fly out?

Unfortanly, this is true, also, if you sneeze to hard, you can break a rib.

could you please supply a link, to 'eyes popping out from a sneeze'... :unsure:

Edited by Pax Unum

No, but if someone slaps you on the back when you are "making a face" it's permanent.

Good lord. No your heart doesn't stop when you sneeze, that would send you into ventricular fibrulation or tachycardia, which requires a defibrulator to get it to start again (I'm an EMT)...

No, but if someone slaps you on the back when you are "making a face" it's permanent.

LOL thats funny :D

Someone told me that your heart stopped beating when you sneeze.Anybody eles heard of this?

I heard this was true, it stops for only half a second when you sneeze. even my bio-science teacher stated it was true.

but if you sneeze, burp and fart at the same time you die.

Edited by Leliel

but if you sneeze, burp and fart at the same time you die.

no......you dont.....

No, it's just that if you sneeze, burp, and fart at the same time, you WANT to die!! :P

Thanks for the replies folks. And since we on the topic of sneezing i have one more question; how come people say "bless you" after you sneeze? I never understood that.

some cultures believe that when you sneeze part of your 'soul' or 'spirit' escape, and youre supposed to bless it.

at least thats my understanding.

Thanks for the replies folks. And since we on the topic of sneezing i have one more question; how come people say "bless you" after you sneeze? I never understood that.

Hey this explains it all, in great detail:

Bless You

Eh... a note to Jeenuh and Tray: Just because the Simpsons say it, doesn't make it true. I honestly believed for several years that the epedermis is your hair...

That's where we get the word respiration. They believed there was a connection between breathe and spirit/soul.

Yes, i heard it before. This the reason why when you sneeze, people will say

"God Bless You".