Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Enough is enough"

Raptor

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b42UI_m-HSU

Obama: Lipstick distortion ‘lies and phony outrage’

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. tabloids have dubbed it Barack Obama's "lipstick bungle" and proclaimed that the Democratic presidential candidate is waging a "boar war" against Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

But Mr. Obama said Wednesday there's nothing cheeky about Republican accusations he directed a sexist slur against John McCain's running mate by comparing GOP promises of political reform to putting "lipstick on a pig."

Facing Republican demands he apologize to Ms. Palin, Mr. Obama instead denounced Mr. McCain's campaign for using a "made-up controversy" to win favour among female voters.

"I love this country too much to let them take over another election with lies and phoney outrage and swift-boat politics," Mr. Obama told supporters at a campaign rally in Norfolk, Va.

"Enough is enough."

Link

Too bad the media has a thing for controversy, I doubt if this will get nearly as much attention as McCain's campaign lies did. At least Obama's trying to keep things real without resorting to the same childish tactics.

EDIT: While we're at it, YouTube Video: McCain directing 'lipstick on a pig comment' at Hillary Clinton in the past. Then they cry "sexism!" when Obama uses the same phrase to describe a male? :rolleyes:

Edited by Raptor

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Whangarei

• HKCavalier

• Neognosis

• Incorrigible1

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b42UI_m-HSU

Too bad the media has a thing for controversy, I doubt if this will get nearly as much attention as McCain's campaign lies did. At least Obama's trying to keep things real without resorting to the same childish tactics.

EDIT: While we're at it, YouTube Video: McCain directing 'lipstick on a pig comment' at Hillary Clinton in the past. Then they cry "sexism!" when Obama uses the same phrase to describe a male? :rolleyes:

Why is it that some people, and as far as I can tell they are all Obama supporters, just don’t get it. They can’t grasp the difference between Obama using the lipstick/pig comment following Palins famous pit bull/lipstick comment, and McCain uttering the lipstick on a pig analogy. Just playing dumb I guess. It’s getting old. Obama's stance on this whole thing is like an obstinate schoolboy who thinks he’s getting away with his innocent little game of words, wink/smirk,hahaha, but all the adults know what was meant. His audience’s reaction was a dead give away that at least they took it as a hit on Palin.

Why is it that some people, and as far as I can tell they are all Obama supporters, just don’t get it. They can’t grasp the difference between Obama using the lipstick/pig comment following Palins famous pit bull/lipstick comment, and McCain uttering the lipstick on a pig analogy.

If you listened to the speech, it's OBVIOUS he isn't talking about Palin specifically, and he's just using a general euphamism. This is a really sad state of american politics.

His audience’s reaction was a dead give away that at least they took it as a hit on Palin.

I don't think so.

here's the speech, judge for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPd4yk0x-eg

He doesn't mention Sarah Palin at all. He CLEARLY is relating lipstick on a pig to the dressing up of the same Bush policy as "change."

YOu have to be pretty biased not to see that, or else intentionally perpetuating the nonsensical controversy.

I've seen the clip, and it was obvious that he was referring to Bush being the pig and McCain being the pig with lipstick.

Nobody needs to insult Palin because eventually her private sex tape is going to come out.

Why is it that some people, and as far as I can tell they are all Obama supporters, just don’t get it. They can’t grasp the difference between Obama using the lipstick/pig comment following Palins famous pit bull/lipstick comment, and McCain uttering the lipstick on a pig analogy. Just playing dumb I guess. It’s getting old. Obama's stance on this whole thing is like an obstinate schoolboy who thinks he’s getting away with his innocent little game of words, wink/smirk,hahaha, but all the adults know what was meant. His audience’s reaction was a dead give away that at least they took it as a hit on Palin.

Have you even seen the clip in question? Here it is. It's painfully obvious that he's describing the similarities between the policies of Bush (pig) and McCain (pig with lipstick). I'm amazed at how many people are unable to grasp that, or are just playing dumb.

The funny thing is that it's only McCain's supporters who heard the words "pig with lipstick" and immediately associated it with Palin...

Have you even seen the clip in question? Here it is. It's painfully obvious that he's describing the similarities between the policies of Bush (pig) and McCain (pig with lipstick). I'm amazed at how many people are unable to grasp that, or are just playing dumb.

The funny thing is that it's only McCain's supporters who heard the words "pig with lipstick" and immediately associated it with Palin...

Then you must be amazed with yourself for convincing yourself that Palin had nothing to do with it.

When was the last time lipstick was used on a Presidential campaign, not until Palin used the word.

Edited by AROCES

I thought this was just a tossed off comment. I have to admit I'm not following it. My take is that he tried to turn her popular phrase against her so that she wouldn't keep using it as a catchphrase and it blew up in his face. But I think this is a good thing. Enough is enough is right. Maybe this will put a fire under his butt and get him going. He needs to win this if he's going to win it. It can't be by a margin he needs to wipe the floor with them.

Then you must be amazed with yourself for convincing yourself that Palin had nothing to do with it.

When was the last time lipstick was used on a Presidential campaign, not until Palin used the word.

Obama used it several times during the primary to refer to circumstances where another candidate was dressing something up to appear different from what it really was. Just like he was doing here. If you really think that he was referring directly to Palin, please post the transcript with the words hightlighted that make you think that.

Yes but once Palin used it and got such attention for it at the convention, its a tad hard to believe he had no intentions there, especially if it was a prepared speech. Wouldn't someone have thought twice?

The same phrase was used by McCain the last time it was relevant, and I believe Obama had it even used it before.

Even if Obama had decided to ride off the attention Palin received for her joke, or was 'inspired' by it, it's childish to pretend it was directed towards her.

Yes but once Palin used it and got such attention for it at the convention, its a tad hard to believe he had no intentions there, especially if it was a prepared speech. Wouldn't someone have thought twice?

Bingo!

It's really a non-issue, but to those vociferously defending BHO as innocent in all this, isn't his greatest strength that he's so nimble on his feet, that he's a quick thinker?

What one line from Palin's speech can the vast majority of this country recall? It became her signature, and to imagine Obama's comment was an innocent happenstance is rather ludicrous.

Again, it's still a non-issue. I've moved on.

Everybody has seen the clip by now, too many times with full context. Just because he inserted it into a subject other than Palin doesnt mean he wasnt trying to hit a chord. Very clever... almost. This way he had plausable deniability which wasn't enough in the court of public opinion. It was a veiled insult. Some claim he didnt realize it was an insult. If that is true, how is this guy going to be effective at diplomacy? We need a leader who at least is wise enough to know the hot buttons of the day. But thats a bunch of poppycock. He knew darn well and as I said before he is acting like a teenage punk thinking he can get away with it.

Edited by Gustavo

The thing is, if he was going to do it, he should have gone for the jugular. People aren't smart enough to pick up nuance. He did it almost like an "inside joke" that people were going to get a chuckle over. He would have been better off just going right for it and saying "Lipstick? Let me tell you if you put a pit bull in lipstick its still a pit bull and I call bull when I see it!"

If that is true, how is this guy going to be effective at diplomacy? We need a leader who at least is wise enough to know the hot buttons of the day. But thats a bunch of poppycock. He knew darn well and as I said before he is acting like a teenage punk thinking he can get away with it.

He'll be effective because, hopefully, as president he won't have an opposing party present at diplomatic meetings that will be creating false controversy and whispering nonsense into the other side's ear just to undermine him.

This is ridiculous. If he wanted to insult Palin, why didn't he say "lipstick on a pitbull?"

Anytime he says the word "lipstick" from now on, are people going to think it's an insult to Palin?

Why are people making a big deal otu of this, but nobody is point out how the conservatives outright ridiculed Obama for being a community organizer?

Like Jon Stewart pointed out, one of their themes was "service," but apparently that only means military or political service. For those of you who are active in your community, apparently the message is "F YOU!"

Being a community organizer is something that is to be laughed at and ridiculed? I suppose it is if your main values center around making money. It somehow indicates that one is unfit for political high office? Basically, instead of graduating from law school, making a boatload of money, an then buying his way into office, he graduated and went to work in the community as an organizer where he no doubt made less money. HORRIBLE. How could we want someone like THAT leading the country?

He'll be effective because, hopefully, as president he won't have an opposing party present at diplomatic meetings that will be creating false controversy and whispering nonsense into the other side's ear just to undermine him.

So you dont think that the Iranians or perhaps the North Koreans are going to create false controversy or whisper nonsense to undermine US during negotiations? You must be joking.

This is ridiculous. If he wanted to insult Palin, why didn't he say "lipstick on a pitbull?"

Anytime he says the word "lipstick" from now on, are people going to think it's an insult to Palin?]

In a word: YES, when her opposition uses it with the word pig it certainly will be considered an insult. Lipstick is fine but there is only one candidate in this race who wears lipstick. Sensitivities are rasied due to a woman being in the race just as sensitivities are raised due to an African American being in the race.

Why are people making a big deal otu of this, but nobody is point out how the conservatives outright ridiculed Obama for being a community organizer?

Like Jon Stewart pointed out, one of their themes was "service," but apparently that only means military or political service. For those of you who are active in your community, apparently the message is "F YOU!"

Being a community organizer is something that is to be laughed at and ridiculed? I suppose it is if your main values center around making money. It somehow indicates that one is unfit for political high office? Basically, instead of graduating from law school, making a boatload of money, an then buying his way into office, he graduated and went to work in the community as an organizer where he no doubt made less money. HORRIBLE. How could we want someone like THAT leading the country?

As I recall, the community organizer spin came out in response to the dems calling Palin a "small town mayor" instead of Governor. They were disrespectful to her from the instant she came on the scene and there was a backlash. Seems like Obama has been experiencing quite a lot of backlash lately due to his tonedeaf responses to Palin.

Being a community organizer is something that is to be laughed at and ridiculed?

When it's a presidential nominee's major claim to fame? Along with having not yet served a complete term in the Senate.

The context in which the comment was made makes it seem less than innocuous. Earlier that day, Biden said “There’s no way you can dress up that record, even with a lot of lipstick." Biden's comment was clearly a reference back to Palin's bulldog-with-lipstick comment on herself. It's not a stretch to think Obama's was a thinly-veiled comment also.

In a word: YES, when her opposition uses it with the word pig it certainly will be considered an insult. Lipstick is fine but there is only one candidate in this race who wears lipstick. Sensitivities are rasied due to a woman being in the race just as sensitivities are raised due to an African American being in the race.

As I recall, the community organizer spin came out in response to the dems calling Palin a "small town mayor" instead of Governor. They were disrespectful to her from the instant she came on the scene and there was a backlash. Seems like Obama has been experiencing quite a lot of backlash lately due to his tonedeaf responses to Palin.

good point. :tu:

Pointing out he wqas a community organizer, then a state senator , then a first term senator is all fair because its all fact.

Obama, however, when he was giving his take on Palin's experience 'running things' spoke about her being a 'small town mayor' with few employees; while HE runs a Presidential campain with 2500 employess and an budget of millions.

He ignored her experience running a STATE with 25,000 employees and a budget in the Billions!

The context in which the comment was made makes it seem less than innocuous. Earlier that day, Biden said “There’s no way you can dress up that record, even with a lot of lipstick." Biden's comment was clearly a reference back to Palin's bulldog-with-lipstick comment on herself. It's not a stretch to think Obama's was a thinly-veiled comment also.

Even if that were true, Palin would still NOT BE THE PIG! And in that case, the comment would indeed be dismissive, but the GOP has been dismissing Obama 24/7 since he showed up on their radar--he's just an airhead celeb, he's just a community organizer, he's uppity, etc. Being dismissive of a brand new unknown quantity with a slim resume is to be expected, no?

But tell me, KingTomis, why do you think Palin is a pig? :whistle:

Pointing out he wqas a community organizer, then a state senator , then a first term senator is all fair because its all fact.

Obama, however, when he was giving his take on Palin's experience 'running things' spoke about her being a 'small town mayor' with few employees; while HE runs a Presidential campain with 2500 employess and an budget of millions.

He ignored her experience running a STATE with 25,000 employees and a budget in the Billions!

Nor is Obama his own campaign manager. That would be David Plouffe.

...especially if it was a prepared speech.

But there's no evidence that it was a prepared speech. The joke he used leading up to the "it's still a pig" line was used in at least 4 speeches in the past few days, but the "it's still a pig" line was used only at the informal townhall-style meeting in Lebanon, VA. If you watch the video, it sure looks like Obama is searching for a metaphor (you know, all his "um, er, uh-ing" that the Right usually point to, saying "he can't talk unless he's reading a script!"). Now watch someone say that the "um, er, uh" was scripted to make it LOOK like it wasn't scripted! :w00t:

In my many years paying attention to politics....I cant tell you all how many times I have heard the "pig-lipstick" phrase.

I have heard it as many times as the "sows ear into a purse" phrase. I will say that I am so dissappointed that America has gone nuts with the name calling and the mocking.

If politicians just stuck to talking about their specific plans, we would be much better off. But in this America we like the schoolyard bully tactics..sad.

This is why I am an independent.

Edited by gonzogirl

But there's no evidence that it was a prepared speech. The joke he used leading up to the "it's still a pig" line was used in at least 4 speeches in the past few days, but the "it's still a pig" line was used only at the informal townhall-style meeting in Lebanon, VA. If you watch the video, it sure looks like Obama is searching for a metaphor (you know, all his "um, er, uh-ing" that the Right usually point to, saying "he can't talk unless he's reading a script!"). Now watch someone say that the "um, er, uh" was scripted to make it LOOK like it wasn't scripted! :w00t:

Oh I see. That's what I originally thought but someone said it was prepared. My mistake then. If it was an off the cuff comment then he probably was just not thinking straight, much like Michelle Obama's comments about being proud of America for the first time.

However if he prepared for it and said it then its hard to dismiss as an accident.