Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

women tend to believe in ghosts,

notoverrated

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/blogs/sceptic-science/do-women-want-to-believe-20110105-19fr2.html#ixzz27efIq1hk

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/blogs/sceptic-science/do-women-want-to-believe-20110105-19fr2.html#ixzz27efRqmFn

this is true for me i believe in aliens but not ghosts, but my girlfriend believes in ghosts and not aliens.

• Like 1

Life's a conspiracy .> ...lol

"Women are more likely to be at the 'social' end of paranormal beliefs," Sturgess says. "They're more likely to believe in things like mediums, astrology, psychic healing, and ghosts.

"Men, for instance, are more likely than women to believe in the alien astronaut theories of Erich von Daniken, and more cryptozoological things like the Loch Ness monster."

I think that is generally reflected on UM...

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1

Only because they usually be a cookin' in the kitchen and seein' all sorts of smoky apparitions. It's very logical ;)

Edit: And men are outside hunting and workin' the fields and always misidentifying natural phenomena!

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 5

I do indeed think that UFOs has tended to be a "guy thing", mainly because it seems to involve science, technology, nuts and bolts, etc, but it becomes more of a female thing when it turns into New Age channels, contact with aliens, advanced ETs who give out "prophecies" and so on, but the guys tend to think that's all goofy and based on personal feelings rather than evidence.

Pure ("male") Ufology is some military pilot in a fast jet chasing around a UFO that is also being tracked on radar. New Age ("female") ufology is having telepathic contact with Space Brothers or sometimes even having their babies.

Well, I am female and beleive in ghosts AND aliens. I have seen ghosts but not aliens. To me, history tells us someone visited our planet. And for Earth to be the only planet with intelligent life, never mind life is not logical to me.

I'm across the board with my beliefs - ghosts, aliens, cryptozoology. I'm also one of those guys that loves reading and writing but fears math.

Story confirmed at my house, except I might say "subjects of interest" by gender rather than "beliefs".

I believe in aliens. Even if those "aliens" are emotionless, single-cell organisms. I think what we believe are ghosts, could be some residual energy phenomenon. Like when you go to a fantastic music venue while it's empty, and still get that feeling that awesome things happened there. Energy, but not ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts.

I don't watch chick-flicks, I can change my own oil, and I own no "shapewear." I am surrendering my Lady-Card now.

• Like 1

Only because they usually be a cookin' in the kitchen and seein' all sorts of smoky apparitions. It's very logical ;)

Perhaps they aren't in the kitchen long enough to realise it's just smoke.
  • Like 1

I believe in aliens. Even if those "aliens" are emotionless, single-cell organisms. I think what we believe are ghosts, could be some residual energy phenomenon. Like when you go to a fantastic music venue while it's empty, and still get that feeling that awesome things happened there. Energy, but not ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts.

I don't watch chick-flicks, I can change my own oil, and I own no "shapewear." I am surrendering my Lady-Card now.

only singled celled? ya i believe there are countless types out there just given the odds. and i never got that feeling your talking about, never made sense to me why people always "feel" a sort of energy when going to a historic site i think its just usly people think about wat has happen there and they react in a emotional way.

"Sturgess says differences between the paranormal beliefs of men and women can in part be attributed to historical, cultural and societal factors"

A tendancy to believe in the paranormal is not an inherent part of being a woman!

Edited by meryt-tetisheri

Neither I or my fiance believe in aliens, we believe there might be a form of life on other planets, but nothing like Star Trek! However we both believe in the paranormal because we have both witnessed stuff that can only be explained as paranormal. He's seen a ghost and I've witnessed poltergeist activity.

But we are a very unusual couple :P

I believe that there's ET Life out there, but I think that ghosts are random energy patterns or other natural phenomena that hasn't been properly identified.

So do gender differences in paranormal interest mean anything?

I mean, really, either the paranormal exists or it does not.

Regardless of human gender or gender propensity towards certain aspects, I suppose the question still remains to most of us.

I don't believe in any of those, does this make me a neuchacho?

Edited by Hasina

I don't believe in any of those, does this make me a neuchacho?

Will you stop using words I have to Google before can reply. ;)

You are definitely not Neuchacho, but you could be my rock...

• Like 2

Not this woman. :no:

• Like 1

One night in 1966 while on guard duty in Viet Nam I saw a platoon of ghost soldiers about 6 inches above ground. they were grey and clear. I did not shoot because I knew I was hallucinating. I needed sleep very badly but the logical side of my mind told me it could not be real and others would have seen them if they were.

One night in 1966 while on guard duty in Viet Nam I saw a platoon of ghost soldiers about 6 inches above ground. they were grey and clear. I did not shoot because I knew I was hallucinating. I needed sleep very badly but the logical side of my mind told me it could not be real and others would have seen them if they were.

Edit: Text screwed up.

I believe aliens outside of earth exist, but the "theories" of Erich and his ancient alien buddies are pure nonsense.

Crypto-zoology closely follows.

Edited by Thomas J

Sometimes articles like these are too general. I'd like the people that conducted the study to make note of what culture the study was conducted because it would make a huge difference.

For instance, if it was conducted in Central America the beliefs would probably not be so distinct. I think there would be a difference in results if compared between parts of the US.

My interest are geared more toward cryptozoology and aliens and I'm female. On the other hand my bf is more of a ghosts and spirits believer.

• Like 1

Ghosts are emotional experiences while aliens are technical ones. If these are the results of the study then they don't seem so surprising as others have noted regarding intuitive phenomena vs outward (at a distance many times) sightings. Or as Timonthy said about the kitchen/outside hunting, the inner/outter theme is again repeated.

Now I bet way more males than females are interested in big foot.

Maybe even Nessie, iono?