Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crypts unearthed in New York

kmt_sesh

I was reading one of Still Waters's recent ancient Egypt articles, which had a link leading to another interesting one, and on that one I saw a link for a story about a pair of tombs unearthed in New York during the excavations for a new water main:

City workers have discovered two burial vaults underneath Washington Square Park in New York City, uncovering the remains of at least a dozen people interred around two centuries ago.

Contractors for the city department of design and construction (DDC) uncovered the first vault on Tuesday, during excavations to replace a century-old water main on the east side of the park, in the heart of bustling Greenwich Village. The workers called an archaeologist contracted by the city, who opened a way into the chamber only 3.5ft beneath the sidewalk.

Full story here.

This sort of thing always fascinates me. Makes one wonder what a New York City worker must think about every time he sinks a shovel.

• Like 4

Its interesting the discovery lasted so long.