Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Failed Doomsday Predictions

Bracket

I've never really understood why people would put so much faith into Doomsday predictions, like 2012, and here's why.

30 AD

The Christian Scriptures, when interpreted literally, appear to record many predictions by Jesus Christ that God's Kingdom would arrive within a very short period, or was actually in the process of arriving. For example, Jesus is recorded as saying in Matthew 16:28: "...there shall be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." In Matthew 24:34, Jesus is recorded as saying: "...This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Since the life expectancy in those days was little over 30 years, Jesus appears to have predicted his second coming sometime during the 1st century.

January 1, 1000

Many Christians in Europe had predicted the end of the world on this date. As the date approached, Christian armies waged war against some of the Pagan countries in Northern Europe. The motivation was to convert them all to Christianity, by force if necessary, before Christ returned in the year 1000. Meanwhile, some Christians had given their possessions to the Church in anticipation of the end. Fortunately, the level of education was so low that many citizens were unaware of the year. They did not know enough to be afraid. Otherwise, the panic might have been far worse than it was. Unfortunately, when Jesus did not appear, the church did not return the gifts. Serious criticism of the Church followed. The Church reacted by exterminating some heretics.

February 20, 1524

German astrologer Johann Stoffler claimed that civilization would be destroyed by a world-wide deluge. When this date passed, the prediction was moved to 1588.

April 23, 1843

A New England farmer named William Miller, after several years of very careful study of his Bible, concluded that God's chosen time to destroy the world could be determined from a strict literal interpretation of scripture. As he would go on to explaine, the world would end some time between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844. He preached and published enough to eventually lead thousands of followers (known as Millerites) who decided that the actual date was April 23, 1843. Many sold or gave away their possessions, assuming they would not be needed; though when April 23 arrived (but Jesus didn't) the group eventually disbandedsome of them forming what is now the Seventh Day Adventists.

June 27, 1850

Ellen White, founder of the Seven Day Adventists movement, made many predictions of the timing of the end of the world. All failed. On June 27, 1850 she prophesied that only a few months remained before the end. She wrote: "My accompanying angel said, 'Time is almost finished. Get ready, get ready, get ready.' ...now time is almost finished...and what we have been years learning, they will have to learn in a few months."

Mother Shipton, a 16th century mystic predicted the end of the world: "...The world to an end shall come; in eighteen hundred and eighty-one."

In February 1835, Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon church, called a meeting of his church leaders to tell them that he had recently spoken to God, and learned that Jesus would return within the next 56 years, after which the End Times would begin promptly.

In 1881, an astronomer discovered through spectral analysis that comet tails include a deadly gas called cyanogen. This was of only passing interest until someone realized that Earth would pass through the tail of Halley's comet in 1910. Would everyone on the planet be bathed in deadly toxic gas? That was the speculation reprinted on the front pages of "The New York Times" and other newspapers, resulting in a widespread panic across the United States and abroad.

The Jehovah's Witnesses based their prophecy from the book of Daniel, Chapter 4. The writings referred to "seven times". The Witnesses interpreted each "time" as equal to 360 days, giving a total of 2,520 days. This was further interpreted as representing 2,520 years, measured from the starting date of 607. This gave 1914 as the target date. When 1914 passed, they changed their prediction; 1914 became the year that Jesus invisibly began his rule. This began a number of predictions including 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994, etc.

December 17, 1919

Meteorologist Albert Porta predicted that the conjunction of 6 planets would generate a magnetic current that would cause the sun to explode and engulf the earth on December 17, 1919.

In May 1980, televangelist and Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson startled and alarmed many when contrary to Matthew 24:36 ("No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven...") he informed his "700 Club" TV show audience around the world that he knew when the world would end. "I guarantee you by the end of 1982 there is going to be a judgment on the world," Robertson said.

When the Hale-Bopp comet appeared in 1997, rumors surfaced that an alien spacecraft was following the comet covered up, of course, by NASA and the astronomical community. Though the claim was refuted by astronomers, these claims inspired a San Diego UFO cult named Heaven's Gate to conclude that the world would end soon. 39 of the cult members committed suicide on March 26, 1997.

August 1999

Nostradamus's writings, the accuracy of which relies heavily upon very flexible interpretations, have been translated and re-translated in dozens of different versions. One of the most famous quatrains read, "The year 1999, seventh month / From the sky will come great king of terror."

Jan. 1, 2000

As the millenium began to creep closer, many people grew concerned that computers might bring about doomsday. The problem, first noted in the early 1970s, was that many computers would not be able to tell the difference between 2000 and 1900 dates. No one was really sure what that would do, but many suggested catastrophic problems ranging from vast blackouts to nuclear holocaust. Gun sales jumped and survivalists prepared to live in bunkers.

May 5, 2000

In case the Y2K bug didn't do us in, global catastrophe was assured by Richard Noone, author of the 1997 book "5/5/2000 Ice: the Ultimate Disaster." According to Noone, the Antarctic ice mass would be three miles thick by May 5, 2000 a date in which the planets would be aligned in the heavens, somehow resulting in a global icy death.

June 6, 2006

This was the date predicted by some for being Number of the Beast day (6/06/06).

Sep 13, 2007

Marilyn J. Agee claimed that this was the second rapture and the world would be destroyed by an astroid.

So, what makes these any different from these?

Dec 31, 2011

Solara Antara Amaa-ra, leader of the "11:11 Doorway" movement, claims that there's a "doorway of opportunity" lasting from January 11, 1992 to December 31, 2011 in which humanity is given the final chance to rid itself of evil and attain a higher level of consciousness, or doom will strike.

Dec 23, 2012

This claim is widely known as the end of the world according to the Mayans. But, many Mayanists have determined that there never was a Mayan Doomsday prediction on that date. Infact, Maya inscriptions occasionally reference predicted future events or commemorations that would occur on dates that lie beyond 2012.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Bracket

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bracket

• danielost

• Soul Kitchen

• Boe

revelation states no one not even the son or the angels know when the son will return except god. if you understand that then all of those failed doomsday predictions and any in the future will fail including 2012 December 21st.

revelation states no one not even the son or the angels know when the son will return except god. if you understand that then all of those failed doomsday predictions and any in the future will fail including 2012 December 21st.

Exactly. That's what i'm saying.

Because we consider the Mayans credible, as they were a very advanced and intelligent civilization.

Also, these kind of Native Americans tend to be right with their own predictions. I'm sure you know the Aztecs predicted their own demise at the hands of Cortez to the point of recognizing Cortez upon his arrival.

Because we consider the Mayans credible, as they were a very advanced and intelligent civilization.

Also, these kind of Native Americans tend to be right with their own predictions. I'm sure you know the Aztecs predicted their own demise at the hands of Cortez to the point of recognizing Cortez upon his arrival.

But, like i said, the "2012 prediction" isn't a prediction at all. Read the post on 2012.

And also, do you have proof of their accurate predictions?

But, like i said, the "2012 prediction" isn't a prediction at all. Read the post on 2012.

And also, do you have proof of their accurate predictions?

Not personally, I just thought it was an established historical fact. The Aztecs predicted their demise at the hands of Quetzalcoatl, who they believed was represented by Cortez. What's probably throwing you off is that many people like to see the prophesy as more of a lucky coincidence.

Also, 2012 was never supposed to be a doomsday. That's just catchier for the media. It's more of a massive awakening or revolution. The scientists are going to disagree on everything, as it is difficult to draw conclusions about such an old and enigmatic society.

Edited by Thesantanafan

Not personally, I just thought it was an established historical fact. The Aztecs predicted their demise at the hands of Quetzalcoatl, who they believed was represented by Cortez. What's probably throwing you off is that many people like to see the prophesy as more of a lucky coincidence.

Also, 2012 was never supposed to be a doomsday. That's just catchier for the media. It's more of a massive awakening or revolution. The scientists are going to disagree on everything, as it is difficult to draw conclusions about such an old and enigmatic society.

Well, what does Quetzalcoatl have to do with Cortez? Where's the connection?

sorry, the aztecs recognized that most empires died with in 200 years. cortez arrived at the end of that 200 years. further the aztecs that cortez was a god(actually christ) returning. if it had been a viking as some want to claim, this god would have had horns.

I'm gonna like this thread !

What about these dead birds and fish everywhere?...... :devil:

Ignore that , was sarcastic.....

I really wish there was a way to place bet's on this 2012 thing....I lost all of my retirement , and I need a sure bet...

I will be joining this discusion for sure !

I'm gonna like this thread !

What about these dead birds and fish everywhere?...... :devil:

Ignore that , was sarcastic.....

I really wish there was a way to place bet's on this 2012 thing....I lost all of my retirement , and I need a sure bet...

I will be joining this discusion for sure !

the birds and fish may be part of the prediction out of Revelation but i am not sure about it.

the birds and fish may be part of the prediction out of Revelation but i am not sure about it.

Uhm , no.....As i said , being sarcastic....was a joke.

Uhm , no.....As i said , being sarcastic....was a joke.

i know. but the bible does say 2/3rds of everything will be killed and or destroyed,

Infact, Maya inscriptions occasionally reference predicted future events or commemorations that would occur on dates that lie beyond 2012.

What are your thoughts?

They did? I didn't know that. I thought this date was said to be end of times because the Mayan calendar stopped. My personal theory to that was that the last qualified calendar maker died. :lol:

i know. but the bible does say 2/3rds of everything will be killed and or destroyed,

The Bible is a entire different subject , and honestly , it get's brought into enough topics , so let's leave that one alone...

The Bible is a entire different subject , and honestly , it get's brought into enough topics , so let's leave that one alone...

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Since many of the predictions on here are based on quotes from the bible.

I don't see why that's a bad thing. Since many of the predictions on here are based on quotes from the bible.

Sounds fine to me....I was trying to avoid yet another Bible debate , you know , getting wayyyy off topic is all....Just hate to see topics go off into left field.

If it fit's in , then " game on " I say.....

Let me start ( I am not very knowledgeable on this part )

Does it clarify in the Bible that 2012 is a Date to be concerned with?

I all ways understood the " day " is only known to God?

Edited by Sakari

Sounds fine to me....I was trying to avoid yet another Bible debate , you know , getting wayyyy off topic is all....Just hate to see topics go off into left field.

If it fit's in , then " game on " I say.....

Let me start ( I am not very knowledgeable on this part )

Does it clarify in the Bible that 2012 is a Date to be concerned with?

I all ways understood the " day " is only known to God?

No, if i remember right, the bible doesn't mention 2012 at all. And yes, it says the end of the world is only known to God.

[/quote/]

wasnt the majority of the bible predictions taken from other cultures. Yeah it was.

There are many things that must come to pass before the return of the "Instead Of christ" or Anti christ. Its all in revelations, it is my least understood ( I confess ) study of the bible, but the things that Revelations tell us must come to pass are as yet undone.

Well, what does Quetzalcoatl have to do with Cortez? Where's the connection?

They thought Cortez represented quetzalcoatl, no? Am I making a mistake here? I am tired.