Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Religion & Science Are Closer Than You Think

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,608 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

He looked really uneasy. I'd just finished giving my first lecture of 8.282, MIT's freshman astronomy course, but this one student stayed behind in my classroom. He nervously explained that although he liked the subject, he worried that my teaching conflicted with his religion. I asked him what his religion was, and when I told him that it had officially declared there to be no conflict with Big Bang cosmology, something amazing happened: his anxiety just melted away right in front of my eyes! Poof!

This gave me the idea to start the MIT Survey on Science, Religion and Origins, which we're officially publishing today in honor of Charles Darwin's 204th birthday. We found that only 11 percent of Americans belong to religions openly rejecting evolution or our Big Bang. So if someone you know has the same stressful predicament as my student, chances are that they can relax as well. To find out for sure, check out the infographic below.

So is there a conflict between science and religion? The religious organizations representing most Americans clearly don't think so. Interestingly, the science organizations representing most American scientists don't think so either: For example, the American Association for the Advancement of Science states that science and religion "live together quite comfortably, including in the minds of many scientists." This shows that the main divide in the U.S. origins debate isn't between science and religion, but between a small fundamentalist minority and mainstream religious communities who embrace science.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2664657.html

#2    IamsSon

IamsSon

Unobservable Matter

• 11,863 posts

• ďIf you canít explain it simply, you donít understand it well enough.Ē ~ Albert Einstein

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:26 PM

There is no conflict between science and religion.  There is a conflict between the religion of evolution and other religions.

"But then with me that horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions of man's mind which has been developed from the mind of the lower animals, are of any value or at all trustworthy. Would any one trust in the convictions of a monkey's mind, if there are any convictions in such a mind?" - Charles Darwin, in a letter to William Graham on July 3, 1881

#3    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Religion is based on doctrine and faith in one doctrine. Spirituality is based upon connection to a higher being. Science is based on actual physical evidence starting with theories which can be proven true.

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostIamsSon, on 08 March 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

There is no conflict between science and religion.  There is a conflict between the religion of evolution and other religions.
So evolution isn't science now?

#5    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,503 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

What you fail to understand is that no matter how you label it or condemn it, evolution is not in any way a religion. It is evidence based science, just like physics, math, medicine, etc.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:27 PM

*snip* I'm just going to bite my toung.😝

Edited by Seeker79, 10 March 2013 - 03:36 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

That is one of the pleasant things about this board; there is no evolution versus creationism going on, except maybe a little on the edges and how to teach evolution.

I suppose if one starts I will find myself jumping in, to my regret.  Those discussions always irritate me.

#8    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

The Vatican has an observatory so it would seem they embrace science.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 March 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

That is one of the pleasant things about this board; there is no evolution versus creationism going on, except maybe a little on the edges and how to teach evolution.

I suppose if one starts I will find myself jumping in, to my regret.  Those discussions always irritate me.
That's because it's been beat to death on this forum. There are some very knowledgable people about evolution that show up from time to time, and the fundi arguments usually look innocently nieve.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 10 March 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Wait a little bit they tend to come in waves.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#11    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi Mag357,

Hell, Mount Graham in Arizona is getting as religious as Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock ha ha!

The Vatican has an Observatory there and next door is another telescope unconnected called Lucifer, i wonder if the Jesuit astronomers pop next door to look through Lucifer ha ha!

http://en.wikipedia....ology_Telescope

http://www.popsci.co...hrough-darkness

Edited by monk 56, 10 March 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#12    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Never really thought they were all that far apart in the first place, Religion and Politics when dealing with laws, morality, and ethics on the other hand.... now that's a hatred that will last for pretty much forever. I

#13    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

I guess it depends on which religion and which science you're talking about. I have two books on the similarity between eastern philosophy/religion and the findings of quantum physics. Pretty interesting reading, as was this article. I'm not sure the title of the article is accurate though, given what it says about the personal beliefs of the people who attend these churches. Only 11% of american churches conflict with science, but 46% of church going americans have beliefs that do. Why would you attend a church that has teachings which conflict with your beliefs? That's the part that shocked me.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

It's easy to forget that the vast majority of Christians embrace science, evolution, the Big Bang, etc. etc.  It's only a small percentage of fringe young earth types that don't and unfortunately they get most of the press on these issues.

I've lived and worked in college towns most of my life and anytime I was in a church I would always see many  faculty members from the sciences in attendance.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#15    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostRafterman, on 11 March 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

It's easy to forget that the vast majority of Christians embrace science, evolution, the Big Bang, etc. etc.

The vast majority of Christians couldn't even tell you in what order the God they worship created the universe, as written in the book their religion is based on.

I guess you don't need to know these trivial things to call yourself a Christian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users