Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Habits Are Incredibly Powerful

Persia

We like to think we have a tremendous amount of control over our own behavior. Yet, our habits have a huge influence on the way we act. In general, we like to do what we did last time in the same context. For example, I recently went to a conference for internet marketers. The members of this group, who pride themselves on being at the leading edge of a digital revolution, are still strongly bound by habits. When I gave my talk at this conference soon after re-entering the auditorium from lunch, almost everyone was sitting in the same seat as they had been before they left for lunch. They mindlessly returned to the same seats.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ulterior-motives/201110/habits-are-incredibly-powerful

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aquatus1

• Persia

• archer95446

• TheFace

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what your saying!! It's like when a cigarette smoker lights up without thinking about it, they do it out of habit, a routine,hence, a bad habit!!!

I'm a smoker and I have noticed that I do this especially when I talk on the phone. When I realized what I was doing, I ask myself, "why did I do that". I wasn't craving a cigarette at the time, it was just out of habit!!!

There is absolutely no doubt about this. In my case, with my ADD, pretty much the only way that I can get any long-term project done is to make it a habit. Habits are powerful enough to overcome a clinical inability to focus on something.

I am a smoker and when i dont smoke i tend to roll paper or similar stuff. But the dangerous was when i was a kid, i used to go to school or back to home i use to think about stuff and my body walked on its own when i was thinking, a lot of times i didnt know how i got home or to school. Once when I drove the car it happened i was home and i didnt remember how i got there. That where my habits of wandering.