Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cow tipping myth dispelled

Still Waters

The idea that drunk men are able to steal into fields and shove sleeping cows onto their sides is not only absurd but scientifically implausible, researchers claim.

Even if urban legends were right and the animals did sleep standing up – which they do not – it would still take at least two strong men to overturn one, and as soon as the cow responded by bracing itself the task would become even trickier.

http://www.telegraph...-dispelled.html

Not to mention cows don't take being woke up and spooked very kindly and might stomp you to death.

I would think they would scatter the moment they heard someone approaching

Yeah I've had a couple friends attempt this one over the years, it never ends well. My cousin tried it a few years ago and ended up getting kicked, which IMO was funnier than if he would've tipped the cow lol

That's the whole point of cow tipping, you get the dumb ones to do it, while you sit back, enjoy a beer and laugh your ass off.

The idea that drunk men are able to steal into fields and shove sleeping cows onto their sides is not only absurd but scientifically implausible, researchers claim.

Even if urban legends were right and the animals did sleep standing up – which they do not – it would still take at least two strong men to overturn one, and as soon as the cow responded by bracing itself the task would become even trickier.

http://www.telegraph...-dispelled.html

The fact that someone was dumb enough to test this theory appalls me.

• Like 1

Agreed.

The only time I ever felt guilty about something I told someone included a cow tipping story. I can see someone believing you can tip a cow, if you ever seen one get to its feet you wonder why it lays down to begin with. What made me feel bad though was I told him about porcupine eggs....

• Like 1

Americans are prone to try this sort of thing on people they think are naive, and being a foreigner to some Americans automatically puts you in that category. I don't know how many times I've been offered Rocky Mountain Oysters, on the theory that I will be upset when I find out what it is. Thing is, Asians eat a lot wider variety of foods than Americans without such silly sensitivities.

• Like 1

Americans are prone to try this sort of thing on people they think are naive, and being a foreigner to some Americans automatically puts you in that category. I don't know how many times I've been offered Rocky Mountain Oysters, on the theory that I will be upset when I find out what it is. Thing is, Asians eat a lot wider variety of foods than Americans without such silly sensitivities.

Honestly never understood why people expect some huge reaction to food when the other person is from another country. Unless it is the surprise of already spicy food suddenly having a bit more heat, which may or may not have been because they left an unattended bowl of peas enticingly close to the pepper sauce.

That's the whole point of cow tipping, you get the dumb ones to do it, while you sit back, enjoy a beer and laugh your ass off.

The fact that someone was dumb enough to test this theory appalls me.

Yeah, I thought it was kinda like Snipe Hunting.

Not that I ever snipe hunted before.

• Like 2

Hehehe, you know there really is snipe hunting in some places? I mean hunting birds with guns, not running in the woods at night with a sack.

• Like 1

Like Americans have a monopoly on pranking people unfamiliar with the local culture. :rolleyes:

I think that is quite true, I've been with quite a few Asian friends to restaurants where they would instruct me on what to order but ask if its disgusting or smelly to me, but its fine. I don't think they've ever tried to get me to eat something where they didn't tell me what it was, although, I've never steered them wrong either on food.

On the issue of cow tipping, I think whoever said about them getting trampled, yeah, that's true. I've gotten my car stuck in mud in a downpour out there by San Antonio and had to walk a few miles as I was on a county dirt road to a house with the lights on. Along the way, I kept hearing a lot of heavy feet following mine and it turns out there was a fence with a lot of cows behind it that were following me. I'm just glad it was cows and not anything else on that dark stormy night....

• Like 1

I think that is quite true, I've been with quite a few Asian friends to restaurants where they would instruct me on what to order but ask if its disgusting or smelly to me, but its fine. I don't think they've ever tried to get me to eat something where they didn't tell me what it was, although,

Unless you've been to another country or visited someone's house, where they know Americans don't find it palatable to eat dogs or cats, you should be fine. It becomes mystery meat under the name of the dish which we would normally make from beef or pork. They may or may not tell you later exactly what it was.

• Like 3

Unless you've been to another country or visited someone's house, where they know Americans don't find it palatable to eat dogs or cats, you should be fine. It becomes mystery meat under the name of the dish which we would normally make from beef or pork. They may or may not tell you later exactly what it was.

You should check your facts, many Natives here eat dog. And I'm pretty sure I've eaten cat as well.

• Like 1

Here snipe don't exist, but across the big water they do or did. That's where the term sniper comes from. But again I've taken people snipe hunting, just to laugh at them. It's kind of like getting a new employee to go look for a box of A.I.R. The quick ones get it, sadly a lot more don't

Here snipe don't exist, but across the big water they do or did. That's where the term sniper comes from. But again I've taken people snipe hunting, just to laugh at them. It's kind of like getting a new employee to go look for a box of A.I.R. The quick ones get it, sadly a lot more don't

Ah that's not fair. Maybe it is not quickness but trust -- some people are more trusting than others.
  • Like 1

Why don't they just let the cow drink copius amounts of vodka... I'm sure it will tip over on it's own. :passifier:

• Like 2

You should check your facts, many Natives here eat dog. And I'm pretty sure I've eaten cat as well.

What facts are those? I assume you are talking about Native Americans? My ex husband and my husband are both part Cherokee. We have a high population of Native Americans in Tennessee and the majority of them would never eat a dog or cat.

That does not negate the fact that the vast majority of people in the US would never even consider eating a horse, much less a dog or cat

What facts are those? I assume you are talking about Native Americans? My ex husband and my husband are both part Cherokee. We have a high population of Native Americans in Tennessee and the majority of them would never eat a dog or cat.

That does not negate the fact that the vast majority of people in the US would never even consider eating a horse, much less a dog or cat

I'm sure at many times Cherokees have eaten horse and dog. I can agree with that logic. Not many people want to eat Scruffy and Seabiscuit, although for the longest; we've been feeding Seabiscuit to Scruffy.

• Like 1

Ah that's not fair. Maybe it is not quickness but trust -- some people are more trusting than others.

I can agree with that on some levels. But when someone asks me to grab a box of air, I go get an empty box and shut the lid.
  • Like 1

Man, we've gone off track here. :whistle: