Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Demons

• Please log in to reply
332 replies to this topic

#46    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:13 AM

View Postdside, on 29 May 2012 - 07:59 AM, said:

Demons are engaged in a spiritual war with the Christ, deception, lies, and half-truths are some of their greatest weapons especially when they have the power to enslave whole civilizations and governments and masses of individuals to do their will.

Why assassinate people with fire or toss cars about when they are already slaying masses of people with genocides and tortures? Whose to say Satan didnt raise up Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, etc?

Nah, the sceptic confesses, that's just human nature. Human nature keeps mass-producing mass killers. Nonetheless, mass murders and torture occurs on a daily basis. Nah, the sceptic confesses, humans are just inheritantly bad and ironically can often rise to positions of power.

Tsk, tsk... evidence anyone?

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#47    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostArbitran, on 29 May 2012 - 08:13 AM, said:

Tsk, tsk... evidence anyone?

:rolleyes:

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#48    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

View Postdside, on 29 May 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

:rolleyes:

You can laugh it off... but again... *snip* baseless assertions.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy, 02 June 2012 - 02:24 PM.
- name calling removed - You can make your point without resorting to name calling.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#49    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:48 AM

Demons are engaged in a spiritual war with the Christ, deception, lies, and half-truths are some of their greatest weapons especially when they have the power to enslave whole civilizations and governments and masses of individuals to do their will.

Why assassinate people with fire or toss cars about when they are already slaying masses of people with genocides and tortures? Whose to say Satan didnt raise up Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, Joseph Stalin, Adolf Hitler, etc?

Nah, the sceptic confesses, that's just human nature. Human nature keeps mass-producing mass killers. Nonetheless, mass murders and torture occurs on a daily basis. Nah, the sceptic confesses, humans are just inheritantly bad and ironically can often rise to positions of power.

You know what - you could be right.   But don't you think it is dangerous to basically exonerate all these horrible mass murderers by asserting that they were under the influence of demons?  Your beliefs take all accountability out of the hands of the individual.  And as has been pointed out - where can I look for actual proof that demons are responsible for these atrocities?  You are asking us to basically give mass murderers a pass because they were in the thrall of demons AND you are asking for people to believe blindly all manner of things for which there is NO PROOF.  Not a shred.

My brain won't do that.

#50    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 30 May 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

You know what - you could be right.   But don't you think it is dangerous to basically exonerate all these horrible mass murderers by asserting that they were under the influence of demons?  Your beliefs take all accountability out of the hands of the individual.  And as has been pointed out - where can I look for actual proof that demons are responsible for these atrocities?  You are asking us to basically give mass murderers a pass because they were in the thrall of demons AND you are asking for people to believe blindly all manner of things for which there is NO PROOF.  Not a shred.

My brain won't do that.

Dont worry, I aint giving anyone a free pass at all but am saying the world in itself is evidence of demonic influences... and human sin and weakness.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#51    SoloCell

SoloCell

Government Agent

• 3,284 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

#52    the_twilightzone

the_twilightzone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

I don't believe in Hell or the devil, so I don't believe in the standard definition of 'demons.'  In my opinion, "demonic" activity can be explained as one of the following: mental illness, physical manifestation of negative feelings (similar to poltergeists) or an evil spirit/residual energy of an evil soul.

I was raised Roman Catholic, for what it's worth.  I just don't think there's evidence of a horned being living in some fiery dimension and guiding his minions to wreak havoc upon living souls.

Edited by the_twilightzone, 31 May 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#53    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

• Evil is among us and opresses us, thats when we do good.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

The power of manipulation is thier key. They also seem to be lazy, or at least very devious.

#54    Apopo

Apopo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

• "Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence."

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

In one theory, demons are believed to be disembodied spirits of Nephilims.

Demons are in the mind, nothing more.

"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees"

#55    grendille

grendille

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

View PostApopo, on 01 June 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

In one theory, demons are believed to be disembodied spirits of Nephilims.

Demons are in the mind, nothing more.

The main issue that i see here,  is that we are discussing supposed entities that predate christianity     through from a decidedly christian standpoint.  I have my own thoughts on demons and demonology, and, the fact that they work for satan just doesnt work with my beliefs.  By all means though more power to you guys.

#56    Lesionia

Lesionia

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

• Evil is among us and opresses us, thats when we do good.

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Okay, ill try to answer your questions:
As far as I can tell, demons have always been here. Some creation stories claim they were here before man was.
Thier weakness? Depends on the nature of the demon.
Water demon- Earth like sage, salt
Fire demon- holy water
Earth- never meet one yet, but Im thinking fire, and water- electrical devices maybe a taser? holy water
Air- Earth

#57    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

So no need for demons then. It seems humans are bad enough without them. We are our own demons. Why pass the blame to some despot character lurking in the back of our minds. Why not take responsibility for human deeds and call it what it is... Human misdeeds. I'm with orange on this one.  Why stupid parlor tricks. Why torment people when they are sleeping? Why sharp claws, teeth, a tail and horns? Did the evolve these things? Do they eat meat? Do they horn Each other during demonic mateing while fighting to win their mate. Do they need extra balance for jumping around?

Why posses little girls. Why not the president? Hell one could posses the leader of Russia another china then just start a Nuk war.

If demons exist the way some people make then out to, they are pretty stupid. I could do a hell of a lot more damage with demonic powers than they do. And no, I would not be wasting my time with teenagers and ouji boards. I might however hop on line and try to convince people I font exist............mmmmuuuuuhahahah!!!

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#58    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

Snip

Edited by Seeker79, 02 June 2012 - 02:34 PM.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#59    OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 02 June 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

So no need for demons then. It seems humans are bad enough without them. We are our own demons. Why pass the blame to some despot character lurking in the back of our minds. Why not take responsibility for human deeds and call it what it is... Human misdeeds. I'm with orange on this one.  Why stupid parlor tricks. Why torment people when they are sleeping? Why sharp claws, teeth, a tail and horns? Did the evolve these things? Do they eat meat? Do they horn Each other during demonic mateing while fighting to win their mate. Do they need extra balance for jumping around?

What we see in the world is perfectly consistent with there existing both demonic evil and human evil.

Humans have incomplete knowledge, or worse yet, they think they understand more about the demonic world then they do. The real error is thinking demons are the puppets and some "clever, esoteric" humans the puppet masters. That is the deception, and those that fall for it will be grossly disappointed in the end.

Why posses little girls. Why not the president? Hell one could posses the leader of Russia another china then just start a Nuk war.

If demons exist the way some people make then out to, they are pretty stupid. I could do a hell of a lot more damage with demonic powers than they do. And no, I would not be wasting my time with teenagers and ouji boards. I might however hop on line and try to convince people I font exist............mmmmuuuuuhahahah!!!

Given their clear hatred for humanity it appears they are restrained. Now you can follow that up with more irrelevant "whys".

#60    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,546 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostOrdinaryClay, on 02 June 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

What we see in the world is perfectly consistent with there existing both demonic evil and human evil.

Humans have incomplete knowledge, or worse yet, they think they understand more about the demonic world then they do. The real error is thinking demons are the puppets and some "clever, esoteric" humans the puppet masters. That is the deception, and those that fall for it will be grossly disappointed in the end.

Given their clear hatred for humanity it appears they are restrained. Now you can follow that up with more irrelevant "whys".
They are very relevant. The funny thing is that, I'm not a skeptic of the spiritual world. I do believe in the spirit world, I have been there many times. I don't see evidence for Demons existing their either beyond human manifestation of fear. I have had loads of success with helping people to overcome "demonic activity" by teaching them to be personally responsible for their experiences.

There simply is no reason to believe in demons. The dynamics of the spirit world does not allow for spiritual evil. In fact what is perceived as spiritual evil is really personal born fear. The very reason why demons could not operate in the spirit world is the very reason why we create them.....

Bruce Lee-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users