Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists design ‘health and safety’ cow

Still Waters

Researchers are using gene-editing techniques to insert a DNA patch into the genome of Holsteins, Britain's foremost dairy breed, to suppress horn growth.

The extra DNA has been taken from other breeds of cattle to create a dairy cow that is identical in every respect to existing livestock but without the horns.

Preventing horn growth would eliminate the need for many farmers to burn off the horn buds of calves in what is a difficult and intensely painful procedure for the animals.

http://www.telegraph...h-no-horns.html

I hope it works well and stops the pain to the cows, this would be good, but I also hope its not another mutant experiment which will only tell us the true results after time and possibly another generation.

• Like 3

Put the udders on their head while they`re at it . Save the farmer from bending down .

• Like 2

I see it odd that people are concerned with removing the horns when they're just gonna kill the animal anyway. Seems like they could put effort into something else like cancer research. If you think this is a god idea that's fine, I just think it's kinda pointless...

• Like 3

The cows we see today are already modified through breeding so this is just the next step and there will be more to come in the future. I think it is the first time changes have been introduced for Health and Safety reasons though...

Once the scientists have produce the perfect cow they are sure to milk it for all its worth. ;)

• Like 1

I see it odd that people are concerned with removing the horns when they're just gonna kill the animal anyway. Seems like they could put effort into something else like cancer research. If you think this is a god idea that's fine, I just think it's kinda pointless...

These are dairy cattle, the cows won't be killed yet.

I think they could have done this much more easily by breeding with a polled breed. I have done this myself, I introduced a polled (hornless) dairy shorthorn into my herd and now I have a large proportion of my herd naturally hornless as the polled trait is dominant... Its also nice because all the cows are blue now :lol:

• Like 4

Deleted, already mentioned by Farmer boy...dairy cows. :tu:

Edited by freetoroam

Exactly, Farmerboy. Breeding with 100% homozygous polled Holstein bulls means lots and lots of naturally polled offspring. Why mess with the DNA?

I wouldn't be surprised if we all sprout horns after drinking the milk from these animals!

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if we all sprout horns after drinking the milk from these animals!

Its got to make you wonder:

432539d1361962450-people-horns-horny-20people-2007.jpeg

Odd.

If a cow wants to hurt you they don't need horns, they can stomp you to death no problem, but it is a good idea though. Sometimes they nail you accidentally with those horns. If you treat them well they can be a friendly critter, but make them mad they will kill you when they get the chance.

These are dairy cattle, the cows won't be killed yet.

I think they could have done this much more easily by breeding with a polled breed. I have done this myself, I introduced a polled (hornless) dairy shorthorn into my herd and now I have a large proportion of my herd naturally hornless as the polled trait is dominant... Its also nice because all the cows are blue now :lol:

Can you post a picture of your blue cows? I would love to see one.

• Like 1

Won't make them any smarter.

That's probably a good thing, I wouldn't want them planning revenge on us steak eaters.. Lol

It already exists naturally, breeding polled species is already taking place in the dairy industry without getting scientists involved. Not as effective but must be safer than tampering with nature. We really don't deserve this planet.

Can you post a picture of your blue cows? I would love to see one.

I'll try and get one up at the weekend. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

first of all i would like i start this off by saying you will all pay that ones messing and altering the DNA of these animals and all animals and all living species not just humans.karma is wonderful i love karma because no injustice ever goes without repaying for what we have done.people and researchers that have a soul and heart stop this altering of DNA NOW!!!its not fair let them be the way the were born to be and naturally created.one shouldn't be drinking and consuming animal products in the first place!!!