Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supermoon:Biggest Full Moon of 2013 Explained

Still Waters

just a shame we've been under a blanket of cloud since friday.....

• Like 1

because of the haze over Malaysia the moon was a bright orange in the sky ... pity I didn't have the equipment to catch a photo ... mobile phone cams fail ...

:lol:

`

• Like 2

yaaayy!!

there's gaps in the clouds!

supermoon sighted!

woohoo!!

:-)

• Like 2

And here's a picture...

gallery_95887_37_23987.jpg

I know, it's a bit boring.. I shoulda got out there earlier in the evening and given it a cool foreground, but it's flamin cold out there tonight and I'm heading for my electric blanket after that 5 minutes... :D

For the technical among us..

The image shows an almost full moon from Brisbane on 24 June 2013. Taken on a {new and beloved} Sony a57 DSLT camera, handheld with an old Minolta 75-300 zoom (at 450mm equivalent focal length) 1/500 @ f5.6, ISO 100 with Image Stabilisation on.

Lightly post processed (adjusted black point, added saturation, lightly sharpened), cropped and reduced slightly from actual pixel size...

• Like 4

And here's a picture...

~image repeat snip

I know, it's a bit boring.. I shoulda got out there earlier in the evening and given it a cool foreground, but it's flamin cold out there tonight and I'm heading for my electric blanket after that 5 minutes... :D

The image shows an almost full moon from Brisbane on 24 June 2013. Taken on a {new and beloved} Sony a57 DSLT camera, handheld with an old Minolta 75-300 zoom (at 450mm equivalent focal length) 1/500 @ f5.6, ISO 100 with Image Stabilisation on.

Lightly post processed (adjusted black point, added saturation, lightly sharpened), cropped and reduced slightly from actual pixel size...

Wow ... that's a mighty good one with a 300mm @f5.6 .... those Sonys are on my wish list ... for almost two years now ... :lol:

Curious though ... are there adaptors for the Minoltas onto the Sonys ? Third party ?

once again ... Great Shot maestro ... very impressive shot ... the black point is spot on ...

`

And here's a picture...

Wow;

I struggle to get that good a pic with my camera stuck in a telescope and a kg bag of long grain rice on my camera to dampen mirror shake, use remote shutter etc. Stability is such an issue.

Congratulations on a nice image.

• Like 1

Thanks, third and jules..

{off-topic}

Yes, I can very highly recommend the SLT range - finally someone has created a DSL'R' without the flipping mirror and all the problems it causes.. It has continuous live view, excellent EVF (imo far better than optical and yes, you can easily manually focus!), very good low-light performance, HD video (inc manual settings and mike inputs) and camera-based stabilisation so all old lenses benefit! Its dynamic range is amazing, exposure is generally spot on and it has very natural colours (not that you could tell from that moon image..), plus very fast and accurate AF and a very cool manual-focus aid called 'focus-peaking'. About my only gripe is that some of the menu system is a tiny bit clunky.. other than that I'm in heaven - the performance and image quality are just superb.

As for lens compatibility.. any *newer* Minolta (or Konica-Minolta) AF ('A-mount) lenses will simply work fine - no adapters. The Sony Alpha A-mount is exactly the same as the Minolta AF A-mount. So, any Minolta AF lenses from the Dynax or Maxxum film cameras will work fine - there are a lot of such lenses available and Minolta glass is generally very good. These lenses are often bundled cheaply with old film cameras as people jump to digital, maybe not realising that the lenses are still valuable. That shot was just the second image I've taken on the 75-300 which I got *very, very* cheaply...

Older Minolta lenses like the MC/MD's can be used but only with an adapter that includes a lens to get them to focus to infinity - which means a (small) quality loss.. If you don't mind that, you can use quite a few other lens mounts with similar adapters, even Canon, Nikon and Olympus! Old screw thread lenses (M42..) will work using a simple (lensless) adapter but you need to get a good quality one - if they aren't made thin enough you won't get infinity focus..

So, yes, I really like my new camera!! If you need more info, PM me, as camera worship is not really ontopic.. :D

Edited by Chrlzs
  • Like 1