Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Suspected witch killed in Papua New Guinea

Myles

Its Papua New Guinea, they are not exactly living in the 21st century.

This reminds me of a programme I watched where the husband set fire to his wife believing she was a fairy...in those days autism was not known about, so many people were suspected of having been replaced with the souls of the fairies while the fairies. It is not known how many babies, children or adults had been killed because of this belief. Thankfully, we have moved on since then with what we know about certain illnesses.

Also people who ate things like magic mushrooms which drove them mad were also believed to have been possessed by a demon.

This is why common sense (whatever the group thinks is true) should not always be trusted.

The witch burnings, then and now, have on mechanism in common: the group attempting to control the individual and anyone who is different than the group will be attacked.

This worked well when we as humans lived in the jungles and needed everyone to be on the same page or everyone would die. This is no longer true but the evolutionary strategy is with us still even if we don't need to destroy what is different anymore.

Just the torcher of this woman is what gets to me. It'd be one thing if she was just hanged (still horrible), but this woman was stripped, beaten, tortured with a hot iron rod, bound, soaked in gas and lit on fire on a stack of tires.

What a bunch or morons.

Just the torcher of this woman is what gets to me. It'd be one thing if she was just hanged (still horrible), but this woman was stripped, beaten, tortured with a hot iron rod, bound, soaked in gas and lit on fire on a stack of tires.

What a bunch or morons.

Its part of their barbaric ritual to get at the demon inside here. What gets me is people are still doing these things today!

Its part of their barbaric ritual to get at the demon inside here. What gets me is people are still doing these things today!

I didn't know they had gasoline and car tyres in their rich traditional history :hmm:

I didn't know they had gasoline and car tyres in their rich traditional history :hmm:

zany-zany-comic-joker-smiley-emoticon-000598-large.gif#smiley%20rolling%20eyes%2083x85

Ok, so what they are using is not the same, but the end result and the purpose is.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

zany-zany-comic-joker-smiley-emoticon-000598-large.gif#smiley%20rolling%20eyes%2083x85

Ok, so what they are using is not the same, but the end result and the purpose is.

I really gave you a like because that version of the emoticon is a crack up.

• Like 1

I really gave you a like because that version of the emoticon is a crack up.

I gave you a smilie cos I never knew they were called emoticons. Will put this in the "what did i learn today thread"

thumbs-up-smiley.png

• Like 1