Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evolution and Religion

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    343 Guilty Spark

343 Guilty Spark

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:11 AM

I always wanted to join Christianity but my views on evolution make me think should I join?
What I'm asking is can you join Christianity and still belive we evolved from the apes?

#2    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,321 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:20 AM

Christianity means following the teachings of Christ, and believing him to be the Son of God.  Evolution doesn't come into it.   Not even the Pope believes that Genesis is anything but a folk myth......  

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#3    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,321 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

In other words: Yes, of course you can be a Christain if you believe in evolution.

(btw we didn't evolve from apes, we evolved from a long extinct, common ancestor, of apes and homonids...wink2.gif )

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#4    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,115 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Evolution and Creationism are not mutally exclusive.  It is very well possible that God chose to create humanity (indeed, the whole world) through the process of evolution.  The "days" as given in the creation story in Genesis may refer to an indeterminate amount of time - the whole "day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day to God" routine.

So, yes, you can be Christian and still believe in evolution thumbsup.gif

All the best,

Edited by Paranoid Android, 30 July 2005 - 11:49 AM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#5    jenk

jenk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

• "There are a terrible lot of lies going round the world, and the worst of it is that they're true." Winston Churchill

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

The "days" as given in the creation story in Genesis may refer to an indeterminate amount of time - the whole "day is a thousand years and a thousand years a day to God" routine.

I'm not in anyway religious (infact I'm agnostic), but I just found it funny you said 7 days as in time periods when there are 7 mass extinctions before humans..... (I think thats the total number anyway....)  I don't think its connected, just a funny.

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yeild to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." Winston Churchill

#6    343 Guilty Spark

343 Guilty Spark

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:22 PM

Thanks. grin2.gif   It was just a lot of times when evolution is brought up on the spirituality board a lot of the religious people try to prove its false.

#7    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,115 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

GuiltySpark - I do find myself arguing against evolution sometimes.  But it's more because the evo advocates claim it to be infallible and correct - which, quite frankly, it isn't.

All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,012 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:04 PM

It is funny, science provides me with proof of my religion, christians try to disprove science with their religion.  Strange.  
Evolution is not about who made life, but how. I don't really understand the conflect.  There are many sciencist that are christians, I see no problem with that. Follow your Path and don't worry about what others think.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:54 PM

well evolutionism doesent disproof creationism.
In a way or another we are all gods children... grin2.gif

Finally got my black belt....

#10    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:32 PM

QUOTE(Lux Felix @ Jul 30 2005, 01:54 PM)

View Post

speaking for yourself.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#11    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:30 PM

Essan:  (btw we didn't evolve from apes, we evolved from a long extinct, common ancestor, of apes and homonids

Ah yes, the never found "missing link".  Of course, it is not merely a link missing, but the whole darn chain!   no.gif

343 Guilty Spark:  Thanks.  It was just a lot of times when evolution is brought up on the spirituality board a lot of the religious people try to prove its false.

I think rather that it is that they are trying to justify or demonstrate an alternate explanation, either creationism, a matter of faith, or intelligent design (still largely a matter of faith, but why it makes sense).  As for we disbelievers who don't accept either, still waiting for rational proof of either, or alternate explanations which can be proved.   geek.gif

#12    Mr Supertypo

Mr Supertypo

Hi...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

• not for nothing, but you sound like a half [...]

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(SilverCougar @ Jul 30 2005, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE(Lux Felix @ Jul 30 2005, 01:54 PM)

View Post

speaking for yourself.

View Post

well if not god then somebody else  tongue.gif

Finally got my black belt....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users