Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

'War on Terror' - by design - can never end

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

Last month, outgoing pentagon general counsel Jeh Johnson gave a speech at the Oxford Union and said that the War on Terror must, at some point, come to an end:

"Now that efforts by the US military against al-Qaida are in their 12th year, we must also ask ourselves: How will this conflict end? . . . . 'War' must be regarded as a finite, extraordinary and unnatural state of affairs. We must not accept the current conflict, and all that it entails, as the 'new normal.' Peace must be regarded as the norm toward which the human race continually strives.

On Thursday night, MSNBC's Rachel Maddow interviewed Johnson, and before doing so, she opined as follows:

When does this thing we are in now end? And if it does not have an end — and I'm not speaking as a lawyer here, I am just speaking as a citizen who feels morally accountable for my country's actions — if it does not have an end, then morally speaking it does not seem like it is a war.

There's no question that this "war" will continue indefinitely. There is no question that US actions are the cause of that, the gasoline that fuels the fire. The only question - and it's becoming less of a question for me all the time - is whether this endless war is the intended result of US actions or just an unwanted miscalculation.
It's increasingly hard to make the case that it's the latter. The US has long known, and its own studies have emphatically concluded, that "terrorism" is motivated not by a "hatred of our freedoms" but by US policy and aggression in the Muslim world. This causal connection is not news to the US government. Despite this - or, more accurately, because of it - they continue with these policies

http://www.guardian....endless-johnson

Reading the full article reminded me of this from 1984

George Orwell -
- The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. Hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance. This new version is the past and no different past can ever have existed. In principle the war effort is always planned to keep society on the brink of starvation. The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over either Eurasia or East Asia, but to keep the very structure of society intact

War: the new normal

Edited by jugoso, 12 January 2013 - 08:49 PM.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,172 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

The war on terror is not just an American thing

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I see it as a struggle against an ideology that wants dominance over the west.  If we do not want to adhere to this ideology then we must struggle against it.  This need not be an armed conflict only.  It can be waged through economic means and through education but if we just walk away then in time this ideology will take hold everywhere.  I imagine the future of this struggle to be one of ongoing low intensity combat for decades - erupting spectacularly on occasion - but otherwise just a simmering insurgency.  If a peace will be found it will require a REAL compromise from both sides - sound familiar?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Commander in the Secret Space Fleet

• 24,466 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Well, of course, having a shadowy Them that you can tell your people they should fear is a classic technique of governments, it doesn't have to be totalitarian ones. That's why George B (sr.) was so eager to stand up to defend Freedom (i.e., er. Kuwait :unsure2: ), since with the Berlin Wall coming down he could see that the Them who had been a satisfactory menace for 40 years would soon not be so. And that is probably why he didn't finish the job against Saddam the first time round, so he'd have a suitable menace in reserve for when he needed one. And also, I suspect, that may have been why George B (Jr.) didn't Get Public Enemy #1, old Bin L, since surely he must have been aware of where he was; it didn't take Mr. O long to find out, did it. Since the trouble is, of course, that if you take out PE #1, then either you've still got to insist that the Global Terror Network is as much of a danger as it ever was (so, perhaps, taking out #1 didn't make all that much difference), or you have to look for some new Enemy. So obviously it's in their interests to keep the good fight going, isn't it. And that's probably why they've been so keen to promote Iran as the new Menace, since perhaps they're realising that more and more people are beginning to get skeptical about the Global Terror Network.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

The so-called war on terror is a farce.  It's aimed at the weak minded and the easily manipulated individual.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#6    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 12 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

Well, of course, having a shadowy Them that you can tell your people they should fear is a classic technique of governments, it doesn't have to be totalitarian ones. That's why George B (sr.) was so eager to stand up to defend Freedom (i.e., er. Kuwait :unsure2: ), since with the Berlin Wall coming down he could see that the Them who had been a satisfactory menace for 40 years would soon not be so. And that is probably why he didn't finish the job against Saddam the first time round, so he'd have a suitable menace in reserve for when he needed one. And also, I suspect, that may have been why George B (Jr.) didn't Get Public Enemy #1, old Bin L, since surely he must have been aware of where he was; it didn't take Mr. O long to find out, did it. Since the trouble is, of course, that if you take out PE #1, then either you've still got to insist that the Global Terror Network is as much of a danger as it ever was (so, perhaps, taking out #1 didn't make all that much difference), or you have to look for some new Enemy. So obviously it's in their interests to keep the good fight going, isn't it. And that's probably why they've been so keen to promote Iran as the new Menace, since perhaps they're realising that more and more people are beginning to get skeptical about the Global Terror Network.
Nice story.  Possibly true.  But does this mean you discount the idea that Islamist ideology is at all a threat to democracies in the west?

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View Postacidhead, on 12 January 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

The so-called war on terror is a farce.  It's aimed at the weak minded and the easily manipulated individual.
Same question Acid Head - if we simply stopped engaging with these forces what do you think the outcome would be?

#8    Drayno

Drayno

Reverend Dudemeister

• 3,682 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

The state needs its perpetual war. After all, this is 1984.

"One leader, one people, signifies one master and millions of slaves." - Camus

#9    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Nice story.  Possibly true.  But does this mean you discount the idea that Islamist ideology is at all a threat to democracies in the west?
Unfortunately I don't have time to discuss this like I normally would with you but I have to say no islamist ideology is not a threat to western democracy. We are to politically correct as it is to regress into said ideology. Think on it a moment. Would civil rights groups lay down and say nothing? They themselves are a force of nature which will continue unhindered regardless of any ideology. We are a proud nation which will not budge even an inch.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#10    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,639 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 12 January 2013 - 09:46 PM, said:

Unfortunately I don't have time to discuss this like I normally would with you but I have to say no islamist ideology is not a threat to western democracy. We are to politically correct as it is to regress into said ideology. Think on it a moment. Would civil rights groups lay down and say nothing? They themselves are a force of nature which will continue unhindered regardless of any ideology. We are a proud nation which will not budge even an inch.
This is a good point.  And trust me Skeptisch, I have NO desire to poke THAT dragon again :w00t:   I just believe that the choice isn't as simple as war by conspiracy or power/money politics.  I think it IS a true ideological struggle that will take many years to sort - if it ever can be sorted.

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

This is a good point.  And trust me Skeptisch, I have NO desire to poke THAT dragon again :w00t:   I just believe that the choice isn't as simple as war by conspiracy or power/money politics.  I think it IS a true ideological struggle that will take many years to sort - if it ever can be sorted.

It was a farce to put central banking systems in these countries and enslave them with debt.

Also taking their resources helps.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#12    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,766 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

You say that dragon as if it wasn't fun for the both of us... lmao
we had a great time and you know it! Anyways brother have a good day.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#13    JasonPollock

JasonPollock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

• "Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?" - Ernest Gaines

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I see it as a struggle against an ideology that wants dominance over the west.  If we do not want to adhere to this ideology then we must struggle against it.  This need not be an armed conflict only.  It can be waged through economic means and through education but if we just walk away then in time this ideology will take hold everywhere.  I imagine the future of this struggle to be one of ongoing low intensity combat for decades - erupting spectacularly on occasion - but otherwise just a simmering insurgency.  If a peace will be found it will require a REAL compromise from both sides - sound familiar?

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

View Postand then, on 12 January 2013 - 09:31 PM, said:

Same question Acid Head - if we simply stopped engaging with these forces what do you think the outcome would be?

If you actually believe the rubbish you're spouting you are truly the epitome of the "weak minded and easily manipulated individual" described above.

It's exactly as stated above: all to do with central banking, power, money and resources. They're in these third world developing countries and have been for centuries now for a number of reasons, and NONE of them to do with some "ideology" crap. They want to spread their power, influence and government over anywhere that they can invade, and while they are there they see fit to take all the natural resources said country is pouring out too. If you genuinely believe that the 'scary Muslim ideology' is going to come and take us all over (gasp!) and the 'scary Muslim terrorists are going to invade and blow every building up and implement Sharia law all throughout the land' (double gasp!), you are utterly stupid and should stay watching FOX News while reading your Daily Mail. You're obviously a brainwashed sheep with no desire to seek out the truth in said situations, and if you truly believe that this 'ideology' is a threat to anyone, please do us all a favour and re-evaluate your life.

I thought you might relate to this article from your truly beloved, the ignorant, racist, homophobic, bigoted, hate spouting institution that is the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail...plications.html

#14    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,095 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

We must fight Fear with FEAR!

Can one define a war named 'The War on Terror'?

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#15    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,737 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

it is an industry that makes big money, it will not go away, we will always find new terrorists.

RESIDENT TROLL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users