Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"types" of experiences you believe

SpiritWriter

Have you had experiences?

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you?

Do you accept some types of stories but not others?

Do you believe in ghosts?

Do you believe in angels?

Do you believe in aliens?

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc...

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?)

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams?

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see?

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world?

Do you believe in religious visions?

What types of stories are valid to you?

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences?

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why?

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 3

Have you had experiences? Yes

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? I would say I mostly keep an open mind.

Do you accept some types of stories but not others? If I've had a similar experience to the one being told, then obviously I'm more inclined to believe the story.

Do you believe in ghosts? I think it's very likely that such things exist. (I haven't seen one)

Do you believe in angels? I don't think there are solid creatures with wings and halos, but I think it's possible that there are spirits that behave in the way we 'traditionally' expect angels in books and paintings to behave. I think there are 'Guardian angels'.

Do you believe in aliens? I think it's possible they exist, but I have never seen one.

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc... I believe there are spirits that manifest through some sceances/ouijaboard sessions. I believe stones, plants etc have spirits residing in/around them.

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?) No.

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? I have not experienced this myself but wouldn't say it's not possible.

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? Yes.

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? I don't think their physical body can, but obviously their spirit can.

Do you believe in religious visions? Yes.

What types of stories are valid to you? Any story that the storyteller experiences as true is valid to me.

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? I try not to let that limit my acceptance of other's stories.

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why? It's difficult to explain ...... intuition, I suppose. Something my 'antennae' pick up as being untrue/ exaggerated. Sometimes people truly believe the story they are telling but are misinterpreting it.

• Like 2

Have you had experiences?.....We all 'experience' stuff but that doesn't make them valid nor does the lack of explanation immediately point to something paranormal or mystical. In all cases I find it can be explained by mundane means.

Do you tend to believe others when they confide their stories to you?.....No.

Do you accept some types of stories but not others?....No. All stories lack credibility in my book

Do you believe in ghosts?.....No

Do you believe in angels?......No

Do you believe in aliens?....No. It is possible life exists out there but until there is actual proof, 'belief' is futile, pointless and dangerous.

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc........No

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?).......No

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? .......No

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see?.....I don't accept the concept of entities so..No

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world?....I do not accept the concept of the 'spirit world'. It is quaint in the anime "Avatar: The Last Airbender" but as a reality it fails miserably.

Do you believe in religious visions?............No

What types of stories are valid to you?.......Same as in the first question. All are exceedingly suspect in my view

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences?......No. I do not see any experience as valid simply because it was an "experience.

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why?...I do not accept ANY experience as valid. I may smile politely and nod my head but that does not mean I agree with or accept what the other says.

• Like 1

Yes.

I believe that what the other person is confiding in me as to be their own truth. I am more open to believe the self truth of someone else rather than their untruths as a means only to gain attention.

I accept that everything is possible and there is a reason for everything. I also accept that of which may seem unheard of or is to good to be true usually is.

Yes.

I believe that what one may consider an angel; I may consider it something else. Could very well be the same thing just known by a different name.

I want to believe. I like the idea; however, I'm not so sure I'm ready for them to cross my welcome mat.

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc...

I believe more of the former than I do the latter, even though the latter actually could be another form of the former of which instance, I would tend to believe in both in that respect.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes. If a person's faith is strong enough, then I do believe that opens a 'portal' or pathway into higher realms. I would never question someone's faith, it's way beyond being rude.

I think that the only validation I would need for a story to hold such a title is how the person tells the story and how affected they are by it emotionally. It is easy to tell the difference between someone telling tales and someone pouring their heart out.

I would be a fool if I did. One can compare experiences, but to use one's own experience to deem another person's experience 'worthy' or not is akin to playing some kind of 'God' role to which is way above my spiritual Karma (pay) grade.

Some reports hold more basis of a possibility whilst others only poises more questions than actual answers. I tend to be more receptive to reports that doesn't have any holes. Like, how I enjoy cheese. I like to eat solid cheese, not cheese with holes in it, cause you end up not experiencing the full flavour.

Great thread, OP! :tu:

• Like 2

Not as profound as most claim to have had, but yes I have.

As long as I can tell their whole heart is in it. It's better to believe and be let down than to doubt and be put down.

Of course.

If you mean the souls of the dead trapped on Earth, no.

Absolutely

Do they exist out there somewhere amongst the literally trillions upon trillions of galaxies out there? Absolutely. Although the whole 'they're here on Earth' thing is still debateable to me...

Demons, yes. Other than that no.

God, yes. Gods (plural) no. Also, I may be wrong, but I don't believe spirits have a gender. Therefore the whole 'goddess' thing is somewhat redundant.

Absolutely

Absolutely

Absolutely

Absolutely

Those that line up with Jesus Christ's teachings

I base nearly everything on my own experiences. It's what's made me who I am today.

As I said, if they contradict, overshadow, or diminish Christ's teachings, than they're considered by me to be false

• Like 1

Yes

Don't have a tendency to lean either way. I take each story on a case by case bases.

Yes

Depends on the definition

Yes

Yes but rarely

Still debating on this

Hardly

The ones that I believe

For stories alone yes, but when I check out for myself no. I tend to eliminate what is possible first before going straight to the things I think are impossible. i'll discredit what I know is wrong first before discrediting what I don't know is possible.

Not everybody is honest or well-informed. One man's ghost can be another man's mouse infestation or electrical problem. Just because I think something might be impossible doesn't mean that is actually is though.

• Like 1

Supernatural, paranormal and alien.

Yes

No

I know they are real.

I know they are real.

I know they are real.

I know demons are real. My mind is open to fairies.

I know God is real.

Yes, we are often out of our bodies during dreams.

Ghostly apparitions due appear and god dresses spirits in white.

They due often in their sleep.

I've had many myself.

I try to keep an open mind.

Yes

• Like 2

Have you had experiences? Yup.

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? Some stories, not others.

Do you accept some types of stories but not others? See above.

Do you believe in ghosts? Nope.

Do you believe in angels? On the fence

Do you believe in aliens? No

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc... On the fence. Not sure they are "spirits".

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?) Not in the way most people understand her.

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? On the fence

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? Yup.

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? Spirit world is to squishy a term for me to answer the question.

Do you believe in religious visions? No

What types of stories are valid to you? Ones that are similar to my own experiences.

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? My own experiences, experiences shared with others, and lots of study & research, as far as possible.

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why? There are several factors I consider: age, experience, education, sophistication, world experience, my own understanding & experiences, and whether some of the stories sound like something I've seen in a movie, TV show, or read in a book.

Hey, I'm glad you asked these questions. I realized that I need to come out of the closet and share more of my personal experiences with spooks & paranormal stuff. Not because I want to convince others of the validity of them, but because I was in danger of denying my own experiences and my reality in order to join the majority whose reality is different than mine, and that would put me out of integrity with myself. I have shared much more openly face to face, and the reception I've gotten was far more open than what I've generally experienced here. But that's good, because the skepticism has made me think more deeply about my experiences, caused me to re-frame some of them, and find some/better explanations for them. But not to deny them. I'm an elder, have had a lot of life's experiences, always engaged in introspection, am a life-long autodidact, and am at least as smart as the average bear. I have learned to trust my own wisdom & thinking, and to speak my truth, despite any possible negative consequences. It's a good place to be in.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 4

Not because I want to convince others of the validity of them, but because I was in danger of denying my own experiences and my reality in order to join the majority whose reality is different than mine, and that would put me out of integrity with myself.

This is a very important point... im glad you mentioned it. I think humans are trained not to trust themselves and that there are "authorities" who opinions are facts and anything else is considered false. We still have a way to go in accepting the diversity of intellegences and even the intellegence of ourselves in some cases.

• Like 4

This is a very important point... im glad you mentioned it. I think humans are trained not to trust themselves and that there are "authorities" who opinions are facts and anything else is considered false. We still have a way to go in accepting the diversity of intellegences and even the intellegence of ourselves in some cases.

Yeah, all those skeptics almost talked me into denying my own truths. I don't doubt my experiences, but don't have any "scientific" or "rational" explanations for them, either. But lack of "proof" doesn't invalidate the experience, it just means there's no lack of proof. That's OK, all of those experiences were gifts that helped me see our world more fully, with all the diversity, wonder, and beauty it contains. And it sent me on a journey not only of self-discovery, but also of discovering the broad diversity of cultural, religious, and spiritual traditions that exist and have existed throughout the centuries. I think I'm a better person for it, it has brought so many positives into my life.

• Like 3

Hey, I'm glad you asked these questions. I realized that I need to come out of the closet and share more of my personal experiences with spooks & paranormal stuff. Not because I want to convince others of the validity of them, but because I was in danger of denying my own experiences and my reality in order to join the majority whose reality is different than mine, and that would put me out of integrity with myself. I have shared much more openly face to face, and the reception I've gotten was far more open than what I've generally experienced here. But that's good, because the skepticism has made me think more deeply about my experiences, caused me to re-frame some of them, and find some/better explanations for them. But not to deny them. I'm an elder, have had a lot of life's experiences, always engaged in introspection, am a life-long autodidact, and am at least as smart as the average bear. I have learned to trust my own wisdom & thinking, and to speak my truth, despite any possible negative consequences. It's a good place to be in.

The most important part of that passage isn't the fact that you had experiences, it's that you have the confidence, courage, and outright audacity to proclaim it to people. Don't ever let go of that beautifully rare kind of strength and spirit. :tu:

• Like 3

Yeah, all those skeptics almost talked me into denying my own truths. I don't doubt my experiences, but don't have any "scientific" or "rational" explanations for them, either. But lack of "proof" doesn't invalidate the experience, it just means there's no lack of proof. That's OK, all of those experiences were gifts that helped me see our world more fully, with all the diversity, wonder, and beauty it contains. And it sent me on a journey not only of self-discovery, but also of discovering the broad diversity of cultural, religious, and spiritual traditions that exist and have existed throughout the centuries. I think I'm a better person for it, it has brought so many positives into my life.

There is no lack of proof if you experienced it! That is the proof! You cannot help what another person won't accept. You can only consider the reasons why he is unable to accept it.

Edit: Hope I didn't sound too forceful with the explanation points lol... I just am passionate about this proof and lack of proof thing...

Edited by SpiritWriter

Well SpiritWriter, don't you think it's time for you to answer your own quetions for us?

• Like 1

There is no lack of proof if you experienced it! That is the proof! You cannot help what another person won't accept. You can only consider the reasons why he is unable to accept it.

Edit: Hope I didn't sound too forceful with the explanation points lol... I just am passionate about this proof and lack of proof thing...

You don't sound too forceful to me. Until the paranormal stuff started showing up in my life I was a skeptic. When it started I was totally freaked out, and living on a small island in the Western Pacific, so there weren't a whole lot of resources available to me to help figure out what the heck was going on. But because I WAS living on a small island in a culture where this kind of thing is quite normal & no one placed any great importance on it, I was better able to accept it than if it occurred here in the US. And I'm not sure it would have even happened here. At some point, about 6 months into it, I decided the what & why wasn't as important as how I responded to it: I could either consider it meaningful or just blow it off as some fun, odd & interesting occurrences. I chose the former. From the island's one bookstore, I read sociology, history, psychology, social science, religion & spirituality, read books about different cultures, self-help, before I ever discovered the metaphysical section at the back of the store. The great thing about it was that because there were no "experts" available, I engaged in research without any bias, gathered the information, and reached my own conclusions. My conclusion: what a magnificent world we live in, and there's much more here than what many people are able to see.

• Like 2

Have you had experiences? Everyone has.

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? I believe they had a experience, some times.

Do you accept some types of stories but not others? No, I accept what I know is possible.

Do you believe in ghosts? No.

Do you believe in angels? No.

Do you believe in aliens? As in visiting Earth, no.

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc...No.

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?) Not sure.

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? No.

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? No.

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? No.

Do you believe in religious visions? I believe people see them, but it is not physically real.

What types of stories are valid to you? To vague..........Stories that have verifiable facts and evidence to back them up.

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? No.

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why? To Vague again....I accept most reports, although I may not accept the silly theories on what they are.

That is absurd. I have experienced things, and that is not proof. I could easily jump to conclusions on what those things were, but I do not.

• Like 1

That is absurd. I have experienced things, and that is not proof. I could easily jump to conclusions on what those things were, but I do not.

Accurate interpretation is the answer.

You don't sound too forceful to me. Until the paranormal stuff started showing up in my life I was a skeptic. When it started I was totally freaked out, and living on a small island in the Western Pacific, so there weren't a whole lot of resources available to me to help figure out what the heck was going on. But because I WAS living on a small island in a culture where this kind of thing is quite normal & no one placed any great importance on it, I was better able to accept it than if it occurred here in the US. And I'm not sure it would have even happened here. At some point, about 6 months into it, I decided the what & why wasn't as important as how I responded to it: I could either consider it meaningful or just blow it off as some fun, odd & interesting occurrences. I chose the former. From the island's one bookstore, I read sociology, history, psychology, social science, religion & spirituality, read books about different cultures, self-help, before I ever discovered the metaphysical section at the back of the store. The great thing about it was that because there were no "experts" available, I engaged in research without any bias, gathered the information, and reached my own conclusions. My conclusion: what a magnificent world we live in, and there's much more here than what many people are able to see.

Yes.. I believe this is exactly where its at... there are no "experts" (well at least none that I personally have found - although there are those who are more experienced, versed in certain areas) our understanding comes to us gradually based on what we personally come across in life.

Here are some quotes I just read last night that illuminates this concept: (I like how in the midst of pondering a topic I seem to come across it in similar form)

He found (what he was looking for) sustenance in the richness and steadfastness of his inner life.

And

The hearts spiritual awakening is the true work of our lives. This might take place in as many ways as there are persons alive.

And

Each man is utterly important and limitless.

I am only a few pages in on my new book: the essential writtings of Ralph Waldo Emerson..so far so good! I think im going to like this book.. :)

Thanks again for your lovely response. :)

I agree with notforgotten. I have experienced things that have been proof for me. I would never in all my days let a skeptic take that away from me. For me that would be absurd.

I agree with notforgotten. I have experienced things that have been proof for me. I would never in all my days let a skeptic take that away from me. For me that would be absurd.

Blind Faith is not all ways a bad thing. If something you " believe " makes you happy, why should anyone try to take that away from you?

Blind Faith is not all ways a bad thing. If something you " believe " makes you happy, why should anyone try to take that away from you?

I do not have blind faith for I have seen. And experience out weights theory any day. Theory is what you get in school. Experience is what the true professionals have. Edited by notforgotten
  • Like 1

Well SpiritWriter, don't you think it's time for you to answer your own quetions for us?

Lol yeah probably so...

Have you had experiences? Yes

Do you tend to believe others when they confide thier stories to you? Yes

Do you accept some types of stories but not others? I know their are liars in the world and I may be gullible but I believe most accounts primarily because I am aware of broad possibilities. If a story sounds fishy or I do not trust its source I will question it, but I will not totally disregard it.

Do you believe in ghosts? Yes I've seen some and experienced it in ways that to reject what I experienced would be rather dumb.

Do you believe in angels? Yes but Ive never seen any. I have been miraculously saved from death and harm on numerous occassions and know this to be the work of the spiritual realm and what people normally consider guardian angels. I whole heartedly believe in angels despite my own persons lack of proof.

Do you believe in aliens? Yes - this is a mystereous area to me that I never really got into. I have seen one ufo...

Do you believe in other types of spirits not listed here for example demons or fairies etc... yes I believe there are a multitude of things humans are generally unaware of.

Do you believe in God (or gods and goddesses?) I believe in these.. this is another mystery, I believe in a most high god and representations of this god, or aspects of this god that took actual form throughout history. I know that Jesus exists, is still alive in spirit and has power to bring those the spirit chooses, or those who call on him into relationship with the most high god. Other gods and goddesses are a mystery to me that I don't really feel I need to fully understand right now. I do think some of these gods are scary. I feel too much energy is spent on the facts and controversies in this area, when the real point of understanding god - in this life - is doing our own soul work internally, growing in love and service, this is the purpose of understanding god. God is a mystery and will remain a mystery... as long as he remains outside of us he will be completely unknown. As soon as we acknowledge we are apart of god, that the kingdom of god is inside of us, is when it starts to make sense.

Do you believe entities can communicate through dreams? Yes I know they can

Do you think entities can appear in this realm and be visible for some to see? Yes I know they can.

Do you believe humans can travel to the spirit world? Yes I know this is possible.

Do you believe in religious visions? Yes and this is the reason I posted this thread. I think this seems to be a disreguarded phenomenon in this day and age.

What types of stories are valid to you? I try to keep an open mind.. I may interpret it differently than the receiver but I know that I might not be right.

Do you base what is valid upon your own experiences? Yes

If you do accept some reports and not others.. why? if I don't trust the source

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 1

After the latest reply, I should have added to above :

Nothing wrong with believing things. It is when your belief is stated as fact and how " I know they exist " starts coming out.

When people start claiming fact from their own belief, that is where a line is crossed.

• Like 1

After the latest reply, I should have added to above :

Nothing wrong with believing things. It is when your belief is stated as fact and how " I know they exist " starts coming out.

When people start claiming fact from their own belief, that is where a line is crossed.

If someone knows something they should not be prohibited from claiming what they know.. it is not crossing the line at all.

If someone knows something they should not be prohibited from claiming what they know.. it is not crossing the line at all.

I disagree.

If someone says " I know Bigfoot exists ", they better have a way to back up that " fact ".

Now, if someone says " I believe Bigfoot exists ", there is nothing to back up at all.

• Like 1