Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Jinn' tree cut down in Maldives attack

UM-Bot

A group of masked men targeted the tree after it had been blamed for the possession of three children.

The strange series of events took place on Thakandhoo Island in the Maldives where an otherwise innocuous tree that had been planted on school grounds 13 years ago suddenly became embroiled in controversy after several student 'possessions' were blamed on spirits the resided within it.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...maldives-attack

That'll learn that freakin tree, learn im real good!

• Like 5

The tree was probably playing around with the Ouija and it got out of hand, silly tree.

The new root of all evil?

• Like 2

These are some nutty people for sure. I hope the children will get the real medical attention they need. I had never even heard of the place. Looks it is like not a good place for a vacation, to bad too, looks like they would have some nice beaches and weather. Theocracy moves and in brains move out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_the_Maldives

That'll learn that freakin tree, learn im real good!

LOL, great! Thanks for the smile. :)

Possessed by spirits from a tree? :lol:

Edited by dr no

This place sounds like a grifters paradise.

Someone praying on the naive could take these poor folks for a hell of a ride.

• Like 1

The citizens of Maldives cannot chop the possessed tree down, because the tree is protected by the WWF Trust

Tree's that cause possession? now I've heard everything.....I think.

• Like 2

Possessed by spirits from a tree? :lol:

It's not really that ridiculous. Many people have met violent deaths on or around trees. Such as lynching trees. They could harbor any number of vengeful spirits. Little kids being so innocent. They didn't or couldn't have known the tree's history. So, it could have happened.

It's not really that ridiculous.

Actually, the idea of a tree possessed by djinns is pretty ridiculous.
Many people have met violent deaths on or around trees.
Many people have met violent deaths around just about anything you can think of. Think of the amount of violent deaths that occur in and around cars. Imagine how many domestic murders happen in the close vicinity of a television.
Such as lynching trees. They could harbor any number of vengeful spirits. Little kids being so innocent. They didn't or couldn't have known the tree's history. So, it could have happened.

It can't happen merely because you can imagine it happening. Is it an actual fact that trees can harbor vengeful spirits?
  • Like 1

I didn't check the article to see what type of tree it was, but there is quite a bit of superstition in Asian countries about various Ficus trees (Banyans). With their aerial roots and often very dense and dark canopies they have a "spooky" appearance and supposedly they believe them to be haunted. Not being superstitious and thinking they are pretty neat, I have several growing in my yard. A big Banyan can cover a city block or more and supposedly one covers a square mile in India.

• Like 2

I didn't check the article to see what type of tree it was, but there is quite a bit of superstition in Asian countries about various Ficus trees (Banyans).

In the New Testament, Jesus curses a fig tree (Ficus) because it didn't have fruit on it when he was hungry. Given that the same passage also notes that it wasn't the season for the tree to be in fruit, I'm not sure what sense that makes at all.

Maybe religions just have something against poor fig trees.

It was also fig leaves that Adam and Eve used to cover the nakedness.

Trees are guilty in general. Period!

'Bout time to ban trees, me thinks.

• Like 1

In the New Testament, Jesus curses a fig tree (Ficus) because it didn't have fruit on it when he was hungry. Given that the same passage also notes that it wasn't the season for the tree to be in fruit, I'm not sure what sense that makes at all.

I believe his dislike of trees begins in the OT. He had a heck of a time keeping the Israelites from going out into "Groves' of them and setting up "high places" (non sanctioned temples) to practice paganism rituals.

Then, of course, in the NT age [some/most] Christians do the christmas tree thing which amounts, I believe, to the same thing as the israelis used to do, in his opinion.

Oh yeah, then there's that little thing that happened, where he was crucified on one. I'd say he has some good reasons not to like trees anymore.

Last night group of masked men broke into Thakandhoo School in Haa Alif atoll after threatening the security guard with a knife in order to cut down what they claimed was a ‘Jinn Tree’ with evil spirits.

Well that Security Guard failed.

I believe his dislike of trees begins in the OT. He had a heck of a time keeping the Israelites from going out into "Groves' of them and setting up "high places" (non sanctioned temples) to practice paganism rituals.

Then, of course, in the NT age [some/most] Christians do the christmas tree thing which amounts, I believe, to the same thing as the israelis used to do, in his opinion.

Oh yeah, then there's that little thing that happened, where he was crucified on one. I'd say he has some good reasons not to like trees anymore.

The trees always get their revenge in the end,

Jesus vs Swampthing someday will be amazing

Nahh. Jesusnado sounds better.

The tagline; When the whirlwind passes by the wicked is no more

"I come not to bring peace....but a sword mothafu**as"

cause jesus is played by Samuel L Jackson

• Like 2

Wow clearly you guys haven't seen Evil dead. Trees are capable of far worse crimes then possession.

• Like 1

possession is described as going inside and controlling another person from inside.

...that KINDA happens in Evil Dead w/ their trees

• Like 2

Wow clearly you guys haven't seen Evil dead. Trees are capable of far worse crimes then possession.

possession is described as going inside and controlling another person from inside.

...that KINDA happens in Evil Dead w/ their trees

Oh. No. Don't bring that up.

Edited by Hida Akechi
  • Like 1

It's not really that ridiculous. Many people have met violent deaths on or around trees. Such as lynching trees. They could harbor any number of vengeful spirits. Little kids being so innocent. They didn't or couldn't have known the tree's history. So, it could have happened.

No it really is ridiculous I don't care what happened on,near or by the tree

• Like 1