Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Micro-organisms explain features on comets?

Waspie_Dwarf

Do micro-organisms explain features on comets?

Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko, studied in detail by the European Space Agency Rosetta and Philae spacecraft since September 2014, is a body with distinct and unexpected features. Now two astronomers have a radical explanation for its properties – micro-organisms that shape cometary activity. Dr Max Wallis of the University of Cardiff set out their ideas today (Monday 6 July) at the National Astronomy Meeting at Venue Cymru in Llandudno, Wales.

Rosetta data have revealed an irregular ‘duck shaped’ comet with about 4.3 by 4.1 km in extent. It appears to have a black crust and underlying ice and images show large, smooth ‘seas’, flat-bottomed craters and a surface peppered with mega-boulders. The crater lakes are re-frozen bodies of water overlain with organic debris. Parallel furrows relate to the flexing of the asymmetric and spinning double-lobed body, which generates fractures in the ice beneath.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Do micro-organisms explain features on comets?

This is an amazing hypothesis. Hopefully whoever is planning he next short period comet exploration mission will now include a science package that can test for the micro-organisms indicated.

This is an amazing hypothesis.

I would add a note of caution. One of the two scientists behind this hypothesis is Chandra Wickramasinghe. He is one of the leading proponents of the panspermia hypothesis. There aren't many things he doesn't see as evidence of extraterrestrial micro-organisms.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 5

I would add a note of caution. One of the two scientists behind this hypothesis is Chandra Wickramasinghe. He is one of the leading proponents of the panspermia hypothesis. There aren't many things he doesn't see as evidence of extraterrestrial micro-organisms.

I noticed that after I posted. His enthusiasm for the subject takes some wind out of the sails doesn't it.

• Like 2

Such extremophiles would have an extraordinary lifecycle. It would also explain the almost immediate appearance of life on Earth as soon the oceans formed. It's nothing but speculation, however.

His enthusiasm for the subject takes some wind out of the sails doesn't it.

Just because he is a rebel, just because his interpretation of the facts is somewhat idiosyncratic, just because the evidence doesn't usually support him and just because almost all other experts don't agree with him doesn't mean he is wrong. It makes it improbable that he is right but not impossible.

If he shouts "extraterrestrial micro-organisms," frequently enough there is always the chance he will be right one day.

• Like 3

Waspie either you or Saru once posted a link to a simulation displaying the true size of the Universe in scale and I can't seem to find it. Do you have it?

If the micros are there, would they survive an entry into an atmosphere such as ours or would they need to be part of a planet forming collision to be viable to produce life and evolve?

BTW Waspie - I've been meaning to ask you, is that your cat?

What makes them think that the organic compounds are being replenished? Perhaps when the compounds on the surface are eroded there is more underneath? How does Dr Wallis know that there is cleaner ice underneath, and a lot more organics on top? Perhaps the organic molecules are too heavy to be blasted from the gravity of the comet?

• Like 1

i do like the panspermia idea, it seems "Simple" and elegant, however with Wickramsinghe involvement it does place a shadow over the findings

i don't know about anyone else but Philae has taken on a character all of it's own and i feel extremely attached to little guy (sad i know)

unfortunately when the ancient space craft melds with him and he comes back to earth we're in deep trouble haha

It would be amazing if this was true, but, as always, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, which is as yet not available for this story. There would also be some complex questions as to how such microbial life would have originated and evolved in such conditions. A comet will only have liquid water for short periods when close to the sun, maybe some kind of life could begin in those periods, but how would it adapt quickly enough to the extreme conditions that would soon follow? The extremophiles that we know on Earth probably had millions of years to adapt to the current extreme conditions that now survive (and thrive) in.

Still, a very interesting story, very much worth following!

• 2 weeks later...

the truth will come out in time about this 1 the government know more than there letting on about this it shock u all

• 1 month later...

Life should be much more probable to survive anywhere, whether a planet or a comet or a moon or an asteroid, underground. There life's sheltered from the winds and weather, all you need is to breathe, absorb a thing that keeps you going.

We all have a right to think whatever we want, it's best to think for yourself so you can't blame anyone else for your own shortcomings.