Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Buzz Aldrin calls for Mars base

mars astronauts buzz aldrin

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,217 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

Buzz Aldrin calls for humans to colonise the Red Planet

www.bbc.co.uk said:

On 21 July 1969, when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin first set foot on the surface of the Moon, it appeared as though mankind was on the verge of a new age of space exploration. After all, if the moon could be conquered, what could prevent us travelling to other planets, even to other solar systems?

Nearly half a century later, the dreams that once seemed so tangible now look more remote than ever. The last man to walk on the Moon was Eugene Cernan, who made the long trip home in December 1972. Since then, humans have been content to orbit the earth, in the realms occupied by satellites and the International Space Station. But we have never again broken free.

Now, one of the original lunar pioneers believes the time has come to make another great leap for mankind. Buzz Aldrin thinks that manned missions to Mars should take place sooner rather than later - within the next quarter of a century. And we shouldn't stop there. He thinks we should begin planning a permanent colony on the Red Planet.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

The giant leap has already been made, time for little steps IMO, if a base on the moon doesn't carry as much risk, then probably that's the best option, at least until we have more faith in going all the way to Mars and bringing a crew back.

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

View Postciriuslea, on 22 June 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

The giant leap has already been made, time for little steps IMO, if a base on the moon doesn't carry as much risk, then probably that's the best option, at least until we have more faith in going all the way to Mars and bringing a crew back.

I would agree. A base on Mars, though certainly in our future, should not be the "next step"

Why not fully put effort into colonizing our moon. Much closer and I'm sure we will learn a few things before attemptting a "suicide mission" to Mars. After all, getting to Mars is one thing. Getting back is a whole different situation of demanding logistics and support likey 1,000 times or much more than doing a base on our moon.

Mars has a substantial gravity, not as much as Earth, but very much there.

One can not lift-off Mars as was done on our moon(with our moon's much lower gravity)

A Mars "lift-off" to Mars orbit would require something similar to a ground NASA support complex on Earth.
We are talking major booster rockets there.

So, much needs to be considered here, unless it's just a 1-way trip. And even then, much needs to be considered.

#4    sam_comm

sam_comm

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

Then Buzz Aldrin must be a strong supporter of the Mars One project.

I think such a project should not be done in haste. I am sure NASA is considering it but with a careful approach. A mission to Mars can become a tragedy if all the safety mesures and the techonlogies ensuring the sucess of such a Mission are not in place. I think the major space agencies such as NASA and ESA are not ready for a there and back mission to Mars.

Edited by sam_comm, 22 June 2013 - 09:13 PM.

#5    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

Dam the last person to set foot on the moon was 1972. What the hell are we doing? We should've already had bases on the moon before i was born in 1992.

#6    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:03 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 22 June 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

Then Buzz Aldrin must be a strong supporter of the Mars One project.

I think such a project should not be done in haste. I am sure NASA is considering it but with a careful approach. A mission to Mars can become a tragedy if all the safety mesures and the techonlogies ensuring the sucess of such a Mission are not in place. I think the major space agencies such as NASA and ESA are not ready for a there and back mission to Mars.

I'm a big supporter of any Mars Project,

Dr Zubrin of the Mars Society has a great proposal, the mission he has developed is ground breaking and simple, and apparently most of the main technology has been tested to see if it was viable, Ideally I would like to see some of the technology involved in his mission adapted for a moon mission, but yeah I agree to risky

#7    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 293 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

It's probably much more inexpensive and closer for us to colonize the moon since we've already gone there. At least we know people have RETURNED from the moon and with Mars, it'll probably just be a one way trip only.  With what's going on around the world economically, I think man needs to stay right at home here on Earth, with a start of getting everyone's financial house (govt.)
in order first--before spending billions on the unknown.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#8    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,465 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:31 AM

Problem is, instead of heading to Mars, we are heading to bankruptcy, we can't afford a Martian base: we are in debt up to our eyeballs.

Edited by Sundew, 23 June 2013 - 03:33 AM.

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

Buzz Aldrin comes from an era when dreams were deftly translated into reality. This is his legacy ... a call to action to those same individuals who are able dream of things things that never were, and ask, why not?

#10    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,830 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

It would be easier to set up a base on Mars with its atmosphere than the Moon which doesn't have one. Just getting there is the hard part.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

It doesn't appear that the States will do this, unless they get off their duff and smell the roses (mixed metaphor alert).

More likely China or maybe Brazil.  A private company might even do it if some profit motive could be found.

#12    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 168 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

View Poststevemagegod, on 22 June 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

Dam the last person to set foot on the moon was 1972. What the hell are we doing? We should've already had bases on the moon before i was born in 1992.

Maybe we already do......

#13    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

They failed hopelessly with the Biosphere experiments. They need to do better here on earth first. A Mars base would have to be largely self sustaining unless they plan on replenishment missions.

#14    sam_comm

sam_comm

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostSundew, on 23 June 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

Problem is, instead of heading to Mars, we are heading to bankruptcy, we can't afford a Martian base: we are in debt up to our eyeballs.

It could be possible in terms of funding the project of a Martian base if America, Canada, Russia, Europe and Japan comes together and share the costs just like the International Space Station.

Edited by sam_comm, 23 June 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#15    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• 1,151 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

View Postsam_comm, on 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

It could be possible in terms of funding the project of a Martian base if America, Canada, Russia, Europe and Japan comes together and share the costs just like the International Space Station.

i don't see that happening anytime soon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users