Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will NASA asteroid mission be cancelled ?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,116 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 20 June 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

That money, if provided to Nasa yearly, could make a world of difference in space exploration imho.

Actually it would increase NASA's budget by only about 16%. Significant but hardly a world of difference.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#17    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 June 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

there is something wrong with that, if your not the lead you don't control.

We are partners in several space programs and lead in many more.  We have been to the moon and, as I said, i think that commercial interests will be going there soon for myriad reasons so let them.  NASA is about breaking new ground, doing things that aren't profitable, at the moment, but worth doing nonetheless and capturing and returning an asteroid is huge in my book.  Think of what we could find on these ancient travelers.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#18    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:47 PM

Nasa needs to lead in the research. Most companies won't do a lot of research, unless hey see profit in it.  Part of that research needs to be habitates.

Another thing to think about.  Of all the colonists that came to america, only one group came to stay.  Everyone else was coming here t. get rich.  They were then going to go back to civilization.

Look a what came from that single group.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#19    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,927 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:53 PM

View Postdanielost, on 20 June 2013 - 11:47 PM, said:

Nasa needs to lead in the research. Most companies won't do a lot of research, unless hey see profit in it.  Part of that research needs to be habitates.

Another thing to think about.  Of all the colonists that came to america, only one group came to stay.  Everyone else was coming here t. get rich.  They were then going to go back to civilization.

Look a what came from that single group.

A commercial enterprise will be able to design a habitat and getting rich is what America is all about, or used to be.  it is a great motivator and most of our progress is directly related to that motive.  only recently has getting rich become an insult.  Just think of the panspermia theory and what we could discover if an asteroid contained ancient bacteria.  How mind boggling would that be?

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#20    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:00 AM

I didn't mean there was anything wrong with profit.  I don't know how much tech./profit from all of naa's research.

I heard on the show the universe, that we get to the nearest star in 46 years.  I don't know if that means right now or in the near future.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostMerc14, on 20 June 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

A commercial enterprise will be able to design a habitat and getting rich is what America is all about, or used to be.  it is a great motivator and most of our progress is directly related to that motive.  only recently has getting rich become an insult.  Just think of the panspermia theory and what we could discover if an asteroid contained ancient bacteria.  How mind boggling would that be?

Unless that rock came from an impact with earth.

Edited by danielost, 21 June 2013 - 12:02 AM.

#22    ciriuslea

ciriuslea

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

• CHAMP20NS

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:02 AM

Was the Asteroid capture ever a serious project or just a project put forward so NASA didn't have to fully contemplate the proposal put forward by the Mars Society, this new project, bases on the moon could even use some of the same technology or Ideas developed by the Mars society ? could it ?

#23    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,927 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postciriuslea, on 21 June 2013 - 12:02 AM, said:

Was the Asteroid capture ever a serious project or just a project put forward so NASA didn't have to fully contemplate the proposal put forward by the Mars Society, this new project, bases on the moon could even use some of the same technology or Ideas developed by the Mars society ? could it ?

http://www.usatoday....apture/2071635/
http://en.wikipedia....steroid_capture

Edited by Merc14, 21 June 2013 - 01:34 AM.

#24    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:25 AM

We will need to use non-poluting energy sources.  Solar could work during the day. A martian day is twenty four hours, almost the same as earth's is.  How ever the moons day is about two earth weeks long, meaning its night is about three weeks long.

#25    EnderOTD

EnderOTD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

As a previous poster pointed out, if we could perfect the technology first with an established colony on our own satellite, perhaps eventually capturing an asteroid later would be more efficient.  We would benefit from such an approach imo.

Edited by EnderOTD, 21 June 2013 - 03:03 AM.

#26    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,927 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostEnderOTD, on 21 June 2013 - 02:58 AM, said:

As a previous poster pointed out, if we could perfect the technology first with an established colony on our own satellite, perhaps eventually capturing an asteroid later would be more efficient.  We would benefit from such an approach imo.

Why do we require NASA and tax dollars to do that?  The reality is that there are limited dollars and corporate america is going there anyways so do the high science thing.

Edited by Merc14, 21 June 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#27    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostMerc14, on 21 June 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

Why do we require NASA and tax dollars to do that?  The reality is that there are limited dollars and corporate america is going there anyways so do the high science thing.

For most of nasa's life, it has returned three dollars for ever one given.  Not sure if that holds true right now with usd payig russia to take us to the station.

#28    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostCollateral Damage, on 20 June 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

You read my mind. Perhaps that 3+Billion/year to Israel should be going to much greater causes... That's just my opinion, though.
While I'd like NASA to be able to do both, where do you suggest the money comes from?  I'm sure the Republicans will kick in their fair share since they want NASA to go to the moon. :whistle:

#29    Collateral Damage

Collateral Damage

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

• "Anti-Americanism is a pure totalitarian concept. The very notion is idiotic."

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 June 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

How about we avoid bring off topic Middle-Eastern politics into this and actually discuss NASA's future.
I wasn't bringing anything off topic to discussion. How about I speak whatever's on my mind; whether you like it or not. Taking 3+Billion/year and giving it to NASA is surely a discussion of its future. Yes, cancel the asteroid mission, and begin a moon base. Happy?

Undated letter from J.F.K. said:

"War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today."

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten."

#30    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,616 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:55 PM

Do you guys remember airport 2.  They were using a nasa style shuttle to take passengers to the moon.  That isn't to far off from what we need for a three day trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users