Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New photo may prove existence of ghosts.

Blackwhite

Haunting caught on photograph

May 28 2006

By The Sunday Sun

user posted image

This scary shadow may not look like much to the untrained eye, but ghost hunters believe it could prove that spooks exist.

And it was taken right here in the North of England.

The apparent apparition was snapped during a charity investigation at Newcastle Keep, where paranormal teams from all over the UK gathered to spend a night searching for spirits.

Mark Winter, of Blyth, Northumberland, was one of four members of the North East Ghost In-Spectres research team who were holding a vigil in the Galleries section of the 12th-Century castle when he took the photo.

But it wasn't until he looked at the photo on a laptop that the figure appeared . . . and Mark and his ghost-hunting pals are convinced it's genuine.

Mark, 30, said: "I was taking photographs of the corridors that overlook the great hall and I was amazed to see I had caught what can only be described as a black mass, about four feet tall, that seems to be coming out of the wall.

Phantom

"We don't know what it is, but we know it's not human."

There were many groups of paranormal aficionados at the charity night, including Mark Webb from ITV2 show Haunted Homes and York's ghost hunter Rachel Lacy.

But event organiser Darren Ritson, of Howden, North Tyneside, says no one else was in the galleries area, fuelling the phantom theory.

Darren, 34, who is also founder of the group, said: "The photo has left everyone baffled, including Mark Webb who, like us, can't find a logical explanation.

"I've spent 12 nights at the Keep and this is the best photo I've ever seen."

He added: "The Keep curator, Paul McDonald, is now going through 50 tons of paperwork to try and find out if anything happened in the galleries in the past to give us a clue as to who or what the shadow may be."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sundays...-name_page.html

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NME_locus

• Fairy bye bye

• bLu3 de 3n3rgy

• Blackwhite

Top Posters In This Topic

This photo already has its own thread.........intersting photo though

Haunting caught on photograph

May 28 2006

By The Sunday Sun

user posted image

This scary shadow may not look like much to the untrained eye, but ghost hunters believe it could prove that spooks exist.

And it was taken right here in the North of England.

The apparent apparition was snapped during a charity investigation at Newcastle Keep, where paranormal teams from all over the UK gathered to spend a night searching for spirits.

Mark Winter, of Blyth, Northumberland, was one of four members of the North East Ghost In-Spectres research team who were holding a vigil in the Galleries section of the 12th-Century castle when he took the photo.

But it wasn't until he looked at the photo on a laptop that the figure appeared . . . and Mark and his ghost-hunting pals are convinced it's genuine.

Mark, 30, said: "I was taking photographs of the corridors that overlook the great hall and I was amazed to see I had caught what can only be described as a black mass, about four feet tall, that seems to be coming out of the wall.

Phantom

"We don't know what it is, but we know it's not human."

There were many groups of paranormal aficionados at the charity night, including Mark Webb from ITV2 show Haunted Homes and York's ghost hunter Rachel Lacy.

But event organiser Darren Ritson, of Howden, North Tyneside, says no one else was in the galleries area, fuelling the phantom theory.

Darren, 34, who is also founder of the group, said: "The photo has left everyone baffled, including Mark Webb who, like us, can't find a logical explanation.

He added: "The Keep curator, Paul McDonald, is now going through 50 tons of paperwork to try and find out if anything happened in the galleries in the past to give us a clue as to who or what the shadow may be."

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/sundays...-name_page.html

Not a bad photo. Pretty cool.

WOW, that is spooky and i truly hope its not a fake.

It is the big downside in today's technology knowing what to believe to be true or fake, but i have faith and know that spirits exist and can be photographed.

Looking at this pic it doesn't strike me as being a fake possibly due to the fact that it is such a simple photo, no elaborate setting, lighting etc.

I could also be wrong and look a right twit, but hey its better to keep your mind open to possibilities than to have a closed mind and miss all the fun.

This photo already has its own thread.........intersting photo though

Oops didn't realise. :blush:

WOW, that is spooky and i truly hope its not a fake.

It is the big downside in today's technology knowing what to believe to be true or fake, but i have faith and know that spirits exist and can be photographed.

Looking at this pic it doesn't strike me as being a fake possibly due to the fact that it is such a simple photo, no elaborate setting, lighting etc.I could also be wrong and look a right twit, but hey its better to keep your mind open to possibilities than to have a closed mind and miss all the fun.

It is indeed a good photo, but not convincing. Think about it..... why does a black mass automatically become a apparition? Why, even though maybe not human, be something else. It could easily be missidentified, but instead was already assumed to be a ghost.

As an example from the statement above you stated does sound logical but think about this.........

If the guy that took the picture did not see a ghost at the time he took the picture, then why did he take the picture of the wall? So he was taking a picture of nothing at the time, nothing special but a hallway, but yet something happen to show up in the photo. Does that not make you question the fact as to what his intentions were when taking a photo of the hallway with nothing?

Secondly, the authenticity must be validated. How many people and witnesses can vouch and verify that a vigil was taking place.

Next, why would a vigil take place in the gallery for? The intentions of holding a vigil I assume would be because of a past event that has occurred here. It sounds good but the next statement contridicts that. They state that they did not know the history of the Gallery.

"The Keep curator, Paul McDonald, is now going through 50 tons of paperwork to try and find out if anything happened in the galleries in the past to give us a clue as to who or what the shadow may be."

Also, does that look like a gallery?

50 tons of what kind of paperwork? Not enough detail and sounds added to make the story seem more real. What is the name of thiese 50 tons of documents. Why don't they just mention the name of the documents knowing that all the people that want to know the truth would be glad to help go through the paperwork for him too.

Sounds to me like a lot of manipulation. If any docuuments were to exist, how become no one kows any history on it? I believe the documents don't even exist. Revealing the source of the documents might prove that it is a fake if it is...

Edited by NME_locus

Fair point, and also very logical NME. :)

The only way you would know the answers to the questions you pose is to actually have been there when the photo was taken, so alas we only have our own interpretations and opinions, need to create a time machine. :w00t:

Fair point, and also very logical NME. :)

The only way you would know the answers to the questions you pose is to actually have been there when the photo was taken, so alas we only have our own interpretations and opinions, need to create a time machine. :w00t:

LOL....true..... true.

These days, even a time machine sounds more logical. At least there's a theory on how it can works instead of saying...."that's just how it is..."

LOL....true..... true.

These days, even a time machine sounds more logical. At least there's a theory on how it can works instead of saying...."that's just how it is..."

Unfortunately you are right, which makes it some what frustrating when it comes to situations like this. <_<

Tell you what, make a deal, if you find out first how to travel in time let me know and vice versa. :tu:

Got to go now, I'm on a quest to find Dr Who, i know your out there stop hiding. :rofl:

Impressive photo.

If the guy that took the picture did not see a ghost at the time he took the picture, then why did he take the picture of the wall? So he was taking a picture of nothing at the time, nothing special but a hallway, but yet something happen to show up in the photo. Does that not make you question the fact as to what his intentions were when taking a photo of the hallway with nothing?

That pic is probly like 1 pic out 500 or more that were taken that night.

If your on a ghost hunt you take pictures, lots and lots and lots of pictures, You don't have to wait to see something before you click your camera, you just take lots of pictures randomly, anywhere, everywhere.

Impressive photo.

If your on a ghost hunt you take pictures, lots and lots and lots of pictures, You don't have to wait to see something before you click your camera, you just take lots of pictures randomly, anywhere, everywhere.

Yes, I understand that. I do the same as I carry my laptop and digital camera. So that is one thing that could possibly be considered, but what about all the other info and contridictions? Is it odd not to find out the source before going into a ghost investigation....or do you randomnly go in not knowing that it haunted, but saying it is.

If they were organized as claimed, why don't they know the history instead of having to go back and dig for any documentation foer the claimed apparition?

There is a difference in investigating and hunting. Hunting is finding out if it is haunted and investigating is going to a known haunting.

So far, did they provided the details of why they were at this location and what the story behind it is? No! They're still buying themselves more time to come up with evidence. Why look up paperwork for a known haunted location? Should that not be the reason as to go there in the first place? All the orgainzing and holding a vigil for something they did not know about?...... does it add up?

Impressive photo.

This statement below should answer that... since this was their best photo ever?

Where's the story as to why they came here?

Anyone can see that the black mas is not coming out of the wall but standing at the corner of where the hall turns left.

What is the foundation behind this theory? Black mass = Phantom? Why?

They need a new curator that knows his history on his place.

Edited by NME_locus

It's extremely easy to photoshop pictures now. As a result no photo, no matter how convincing it may look, can ever prove the existence of anything at all.

It is indeed a good photo, but not convincing. Think about it..... why does a black mass automatically become a apparition? Why, even though maybe not human, be something else. It could easily be missidentified, but instead was already assumed to be a ghost.

As an example from the statement above you stated does sound logical but think about this.........

Secondly, the authenticity must be validated. How many people and witnesses can vouch and verify that a vigil was taking place.

Next, why would a vigil take place in the gallery for? The intentions of holding a vigil I assume would be because of a past event that has occurred here. It sounds good but the next statement contridicts that. They state that they did not know the history of the Gallery.

Also, does that look like a gallery?

50 tons of what kind of paperwork? Not enough detail and sounds added to make the story seem more real. What is the name of thiese 50 tons of documents. Why don't they just mention the name of the documents knowing that all the people that want to know the truth would be glad to help go through the paperwork for him too.

Sounds to me like a lot of manipulation. If any docuuments were to exist, how become no one kows any history on it? I believe the documents don't even exist. Revealing the source of the documents might prove that it is a fake if it is...

I'm with you on this one. But as far as the guy or girl who took the picture of the hallway goes. These ghost hunters take pictures of everything. I watched a show on ghost hunters and they do the most bizarre things and take about 1000 pictures of crap hoping an orb shows up in the picture. So i do understand why they would take a picture of a hallway.

I do believe in ghosts and spirit forms but not possible hoaxes. Think about it. That could be the view of someone's left arm standing in a walkway. That looks like there could be a path that's leading off to that side. If so, someone could've have staged that photo. I think it's just a human trying to be spooky. <_<

If they were organized as claimed, why don't they know the history instead of having to go back and dig for any documentation foer the claimed apparition?

There is a difference in investigating and hunting. Hunting is finding out if it is haunted and investigating is going to a known haunting.

So far, did they provided the details of why they were at this location and what the story behind it is? No! They're still buying themselves more time to come up with evidence. Why look up paperwork for a known haunted location? Should that not be the reason as to go there in the first place? All the orgainzing and holding a vigil for something they did not know about?...... does it add up?

Could depend on the type of investigation. Investigating before knowing the exact history and doing the detailed research means that you have something to compare the information with that you may have collected, afterwards.

It makes validating things more impressive and more concreate because people can stay objective to the invesitagtion and not be swayed by known information. That goes for not knowing which rooms are haunted etc - That in particular goes for the sensitives/mediums/psychics.

It makes perfect sense to me and I do not consider this point as suspiscious at all. It's important in part to collecting evidence and data while methods so limited in what can be measured. You can't really argue over whether a sensitive is a fake or not if they have been taken to a place they haven't been to before or know nothing about and are then able to reel off dates, names, events etc that can then be looked up and checked.

Edited by Anvil

Could depend on the type of investigation. Investigating before knowing the exact history and doing the detailed research means that you have something to compare the information with that you may have collected, afterwards.

This type of investigation was for ghosts. Since there are no comfirmation on it being haunted, then it would not be called that at all, but a hunt, which is different. To back myself, I believe " going through the paperwork means that they did not know any history.

Now I do understand that there maybe a slight chance that it was paranormal, but to prove that it is..... then you must follow protocol. Skipping a huge step to insist that it was a ghost. Also, did they verify if the ghost appeared again? Or, since it is the best photo that they have ever taken there...what are they chances of it being human? Big chance of someone walking through or leaning up against the wall.

Think about this....the camera requires a flash so in real time it was darker down the hallway. Someone wearing black, leaning up against the wall talking to someone else. The photographer snaps photo not knowing someone was standing by the edge of corner. Bright flash, enough to catch the person in black. If you notice that the figure does have dimension and breaking lines.

If people can 100% confirm with proof, for example a lock-in and everyone accounted for... then yes it would help to a slim chance being greater. Keeping to protocol maybe one day prove that ghost exists.

It makes validating things more impressive and more concreate because people can stay objective to the invesitagtion and not be swayed by known information. That goes for not knowing which rooms are haunted etc - That in particular goes for the sensitives/mediums/psychics.

I do like what you had to say here. But, don't the psychics/mediums/and sensitive people already have this feel. Didn't this picture turn up to be more of a surprise?

It makes perfect sense to me and I do not consider this point as suspiscious at all. It's important in part to collecting evidence and data while methods so limited in what can be measured. You can't really argue over whether a sensitive is a fake or not if they have been taken to a place they haven't been to before or know nothing about and are then able to reel off dates, names, events etc that can then be looked up and checked.

I'm with you on this one. But as far as the guy or girl who took the picture of the hallway goes. These ghost hunters take pictures of everything. I watched a show on ghost hunters and they do the most bizarre things and take about 1000 pictures of crap hoping an orb shows up in the picture. So i do understand why they would take a picture of a hallway.

True. I do the same, but only take pictures towards a direction that I feel AS If there is a presence. Out of all the photosThough I am skeptical of most, I do believe that such things could exist. Such things are possible... and I try to come up with my own theory but a little more logical and prove as to why or how they do exist. I have a general category I call matterless existence or matterless energy, like dark matter which the universe is full of, fire, lightning, electricity. There are not all alike but share some properties.

Edited by NME_locus

I do like what you had to say here. But, don't the psychics/mediums/and sensitive people already have this feel. Didn't this picture turn up to be more of a surprise?

Who knows, we don't know the run down of what happened that night, who said what, who was there, maybe there was someone who picked up on the ghost as well as the photo of it but they are waiting to vertify the info. Maybe the person who took the pic just got a lucky shot.

I do see what your saying though and your right, we can't automatically jump to 100% conclusions that this is a ghost or spirit. Esp if the group have admitted to not knowing the history about the place yet. I was just pointing out though that this type of practise isn't thjat unusal so shouldn't be held in suspcious light :)

I'm sorry but to me it just looks like Dick Tracy going around a corner.... :hmm:

Who knows, we don't know the run down of what happened that night, who said what, who was there, maybe there was someone who picked up on the ghost as well as the photo of it but they are waiting to vertify the info. Maybe the person who took the pic just got a lucky shot.

I do see what your saying though and your right, we can't automatically jump to 100% conclusions that this is a ghost or spirit. Esp if the group have admitted to not knowing the history about the place yet. I was just pointing out though that this type of practise isn't thjat unusal so shouldn't be held in suspcious light :)

I think we all have the same view on things, just slightly different approaches.

To me it looks like some person dressed in a black trench coat and shoes sitting on the floor. Like he/she is facing the camera, at the bottom of the form you can see the soles of the sneakers, his/her head is possibly turned to the side and obscured by the wall. That is my perception at least.

Maybe someone from the group snuck off to have a ciggy? :w00t:

user posted image

Now I can see it. The computer I used yesterday just showed complete blackness in the doorway. It was just a black doorway. Now I can see that little shape on this computer with the brightness turned up.