Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Asteroid Impact

Gazz

A 20,000,000 ton asteroid moving at

35,000 mph is now confirmed to impact

Earth in just 118 days. (NOT)

But, what if it was?

I'd like to see some replies from the

group as to what can be done if

anything.

What can we really do?

What technologies do we have in place

now that could be used?

Given the size, speed and time above

tell me what we can do to stop or

deflect this impact... Can't wait to

see what you guys come up with!!

Gazz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• Gazz

• Dowdy

• JLA369

am.......move outta its way? laugh.gif

no,no! on a serious note; amm...i dunno really...

is what they did in armeggedon (the movie, spelt wrong i think huh.gif ) possible? or that prob would be too risky, eh?

hmmm...good question, one to worry bout for sure, but im sure these brainiacs (spelt wrong also?) will think up something though, for sure! thumbsup.gif

we would launch nukes at it... or nasa would use a specialized type of missle wich would mount its head in the asteroid... then propel the thing off course...

we would launch nukes at it... or nasa would use a specialized type of missle wich would mount its head in the asteroid... then propel the thing off course...

That sounds simple enough, But is it?

Remember, we only have 118 days!

The clock is ticking, what are we going

to do? rolleyes.gif

Gazz

I would have no choice but to sit back and hope that the world can come together and find a solution. With the world's resources working together, anything is possible. After all, if no solution can be found, it's game over for us all.

Duck and cover!
laugh.gif

Just hope we can find a solution in time and we dont fall in anarchy!

If we didn't realize that a 20 million ton asteroid was on its way until it was

in that range I'd have to say we were toast. wink2.gif

I would throw a major asteroid party! thumbsup.gif

probably grab my ankles and kiss my butt goodbye ph34r.gif

I doubt they could do anything to stop it, other then watch Deep Impact and Armageddon for idea's

keep on nuking it until it's small enough to burn up in the atmosphere.

while they're doing that, i'll be looting stores....

Dowdy pick us up one of those 52inch TVs while your there! thumbsup.gif

I'll go in my bunker...once where blown out of earth,we can land on mars or perhaps the moon.

Dowdy pick us up one of those 52inch TVs while your there! thumbsup.gif

Yeah and while your on that, get me a pack of beer while your doing that! grin2.gif

1. Start preaching about the end of the world and collect as much money as possible (just give me your money, you're not going to need it after the end of the world).

2. Go to Russia and use the money to buy a round trip ticket to space

3. Get enough food supply, seeds for future plants. Don't forget to get a really hot chick for the sake of human race tongue.gif

4. Launch and wait in space while the earth is destroyed.

5. Return to earth after everything looks safe. Change my name to Adam. thumbsup.gif

Throwing nukes at it would do nothing, were you not paying attention to the dude in armageddon? "you put a fire cracker on your hand, it explodes, but does nothing but scroch the surface, but however put a firecracker in your hand and close it, and it explodes...." i think you get the point there. Heres two possibilitys:

1. Do like in armageddon and deep impact, drill into the asteroid, and detonate nukes from the inside. (however we have never tested nuclear devices in the void of space, so its effects are unknown.)

2. Contruct a large space "ark", a super huge self contained spaceship, with everything from earth, then wander the galaxy looking for a new planet.

Looting isn't a bad idea.....*walks off to get his crowbar and ski-mask*

another way to put that firecracker theory.

you put a fire cracker on your hand, it explodes. But what does your hand do? It moves away as a reflex. so throwing a nuke at it might push it away or deflect it...

Take that Hollywood!

you put a fire cracker on your hand, it explodes. But what does your hand do? It moves away as a reflex. so throwing a nuke at it might push it away or deflect it...

I'm not sure asteriods are capable of moving themselves away, via reflex. Reflex is a living trait....asteroids aren't alive. Like i said in my previous post, we have never studied the effects of a nuclear blast in a vacuum. So we have no way of knowing whether or not nuclear missiles would be effective.

Actually Blood-Angle the last few offical Nuke test that the U.S. conducted were in space. Although they were mainly for seeing the effect that a Nuke blast would have on hardware systems in space. Now as for the effects that the blast would haave on an asteroid; they have attempted to use computer programs to get an idea of what would happen. Not that I would want to stake my life on a high-priced computer game!

I'm not sure asteriods are capable of moving themselves away, via reflex. Reflex is a living trait....asteroids aren't alive. Like i said in my previous post, we have never studied the effects of a nuclear blast in a vacuum. So we have no way of knowing whether or not nuclear missiles would be effective.

In physics it is called Newton's third law of motion. The nuclear blast will alter the course of the asteroid.

There is probably only one solution.

We would have to accurately calculate the impact site......and then evacuate.

What would I do..?

First of all I would be really worried. (Nooo..I'd be happy..sleep.gif)

Then, I would decide to be a hippi for the rest of my days.

I think that asteroid could change peoples views on how they live..

Anyway, I'd be a hippi, and I would be in harmony with nature..and I'd say "radical" and "dude" alot.

That's what I would do if it were going to be the end of the world. grin2.gif

RADICAL, DUUUDE!

..hippis are cool.