Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The amazing Indonesian root tree bridge

tree roots bridge jembatan akar kubang trees bayang river

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

Weaved out of living tree roots, this rickety bridge set just a few feet above a treacherously fast-flowing river looks like it could be from a scene in an Indiana Jones film.

But this unique living tree root bridge called 'Jembatan Akar' is actually a vital link to connect the residents of two tiny villages in Pesisir Selatan District, West Sumatra, Indonesia.

The bridge was created by weaving a combination of roots into two Kubang trees placed on either side of the Bayang River that gradually grew strong enough over the course of 26 years for the residents of of Pulut-pulut and Lubuak Glare to use it as a crossing.

http://www.dailymail...beneath-it.html

Posted Image

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,694 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

That is really cool.

I doubt many people live a peaceful enough life these days to wait 26 years for a bridge.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    evancj

evancj

Poltergeist

• 2,777 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:59 AM

That is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

#4    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,381 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:52 AM