Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * - 2 votes

Strange businesses or stores in your area


  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#61    Galilei

Galilei

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined:29 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Orion Arm, Milky Way

  • "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

Posted Image
Located in Cut and Shoot, Texas  http://en.wikipedia....nd_Shoot,_Texas

I do not live there, but I have been through the area a few times.

Edited by Galilei, 11 September 2012 - 05:49 AM.


#62    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Joined:09 Oct 2008

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

There's a place near where I live in Halifax, Yorkshire that I find weird.

It looks like the kind of house clearance / Bric-a-Brac shop that did better back in the day before everyone just sold their old strange rubbish on ebay:

Posted Image

It has junk-shop-y things in the window that you can probably make out - fireplaces, jugs, diving helmets, big old plaster cupids, ancient glass bottles and whatnot.

Not too weird eh? But for as far back as I can remember noticing it, maybe 17 years or so, I have never seen this 'shop' open. It doesn't even have a sign. As far as I can tell, the 'goods' in the window have never changed.

When you peer in the windows, it's too dark to make out anything beyond the incredibly cluttered window displays. When you go past at night there are never lights on. Yet, it has had recent paint on the wooden facings and doesn't really look derelict.

I wish I knew what it was. Semi-abandoned shop? Crazy person's idea of home decoration? No-one I speak to about it knows...

Posted Image

#63    Wildchild41

Wildchild41

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Joined:24 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:33 AM

There's a place near my house that always has 2 empty white trucks parked infront of it, and the garage door is always open so you can see what they have in there and it's all just machinery. They never come in or go out but the door always closes by its self...

Posted Image

#64    Wookietim

Wookietim

    Alien Abducter

  • Member
  • 4,907 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kirkland, WA

  • Search on the Android App Store for "Mothras Unexplained Mysteries" for the app I am very proud of...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Back when I was married and living in Philadelphia I used to walk past a weird store. Never went into it or anything and for the life of me I don't remember the address... But it was weird. Every now and then there would be a woman sitting in the window. She would look nervous and as if she wanted to look over her shoulder but didn't. There was a curtain behind her. I always joked that it was a sex shop to the wife but the woman that was there wasn't dressed like that - she was in a normal "Business Casual" type clothing.

The store always had a weird kind of closed look to it so I never went in. One day I walked by and the store was entirely closed. No idea what it sold or who owned it. I always vaguely wondered about it...


#65    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

    The Resident Misanthrope

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

There's a store near me called "Mary's cake shop".
It's named innocently enough, but boy did I have one whopping shock when I walked in for the first time, expecting cake.

It was a sex toy shop, run by a he-she.
I couldn't get out the door fast enough.


#66    ioppolo

ioppolo

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined:10 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Perth, Australia

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:58 AM

View PostGalilei, on 11 September 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

Posted Image
Located in Cut and Shoot, Texas  http://en.wikipedia....nd_Shoot,_Texas

I do not live there, but I have been through the area a few times.

What on earth...?


#67    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 8,936 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

there's a headshop down the street from me called 'the lemonade stand' . not a weird store, but i always wonder why they named it that.


#68    Kyle98632

Kyle98632

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Joined:08 Dec 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Southwest Washington

  • A cat can have kittens in an oven but that doesn't make them biscuits.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

Outside my city about 10 miles on US Hwy 30 near an old nuclear power plant in OR is a store I would never see anyone at for years, but always got a good laugh out of it because the sign would advertise "Snacks, tanning, tooth sharping, and VHS".

Not creepy, but an odd combination. The store closed about a year and a half ago, and recently has collapsed part way into itself and the sign fell off.


#69    born2run

born2run

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 90 posts
  • Joined:19 Jun 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Carolina

  • "I am afeared there are few die well that die in battle".
    King Henry V,Act IV. Scene i.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

You are describing a good portion of the "South", small, off the major road, town types. Strange stores, strange people, strange ways of living, you name it, we have it, or know where it can be obtained from. Some of the owners can pass for a winner in a Stephen King look alike contest, to Freddy Krugger(sp), or Rod Sterling, for those old enough to recall him in the early "Twlight Zone", tv series. :tu:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :no:

#70    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Joined:17 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia PA

  • I'm just saying.

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 27 August 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

My brother bought me one of those english baby chicken cradle, meat log and pig rind sandwiches. The baby chicken cradle was THE fakest thing i have ever tasted.
Mcdonald's uses real eggs. I've seen them crack the egg open onto the flat top.

I'm just saying.

#71    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 21 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostJamieSymptom, on 11 September 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

There's a place near where I live in Halifax, Yorkshire that I find weird.

It looks like the kind of house clearance / Bric-a-Brac shop that did better back in the day before everyone just sold their old strange rubbish on ebay:

Posted Image

It has junk-shop-y things in the window that you can probably make out - fireplaces, jugs, diving helmets, big old plaster cupids, ancient glass bottles and whatnot.

Not too weird eh? But for as far back as I can remember noticing it, maybe 17 years or so, I have never seen this 'shop' open. It doesn't even have a sign. As far as I can tell, the 'goods' in the window have never changed.

When you peer in the windows, it's too dark to make out anything beyond the incredibly cluttered window displays. When you go past at night there are never lights on. Yet, it has had recent paint on the wooden facings and doesn't really look derelict.

I wish I knew what it was. Semi-abandoned shop? Crazy person's idea of home decoration? No-one I speak to about it knows...
you ever try just going in?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#72    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Joined:20 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Western Australia

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 21 June 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Mcdonald's uses real eggs. I've seen them crack the egg open onto the flat top.
Glad you understood what I was saying :D
I suppose it must've just been the way they cook them.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken, 23 June 2013 - 05:33 PM.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#73    littlemonster92

littlemonster92

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Joined:04 Jan 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

When my family went on holiday to Vegas we drove through a place I think was called Dolan Springs on the way to the grand canyon. The tour bus stopped off at a little shop that made home made chocolates that I found strange. It was a little trailer shop that sold bits and bobs and  there was a small back room where you could see people making chocolate. While we were there I was waiting for the toilet that customers could use and was crossing my legs because I was desperate and someone was taking far too long. The guy that worked in the sop told me there was another toilet down the corridor and to the right so away I went... as I walked down the corridor it appeared I was in their house and walked straight past the living room to the family bathroom. The people sat in the living room didn't even bat an eyelid!

Don't get me wrong the people that owned this place were great & the chocolate was good but after watching so many American horror movies where people stop of at weird little gas stations and shops in the middle of nowhere I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there!


#74    heather the fileseeker

heather the fileseeker

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Joined:22 Jul 2010

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

The weirdest place I've ever been in is a used book shop in my city.
It's a normal looking place, but the thing is, they must never sell anything. I'm not kidding.
I went in looking for some out of print books, and since it was a rather well stocked place, and the books were common, I figured they'd have it. They did have one of them....But it was $3000. So I was honestly annoyed, that book is 40 bucks on ebay. So then I began looking around and noticed everything, even current books, were priced in the thousands. Not one book was under a thousand. So I asked the owner if I was reading something wrong, he said no, then swore at me and told me to leave if I wasn't going to buy. I also noticed that the place is still there, after several years, but the door is always locked even if it says it's open/lights are on.

But even weirder is that in the basement part of the shop, there was a shelf with seemingly random objects on it. There was a tin with baby teeth in it, a jar of pickles from 1963, and what I'm pretty sure was a medical icepick.....as in the lobotomy tool. I also remember seeing a bunch of monogrammed cosmetics from what looked like WWII era. Stolen,maybe?
Either way it freaked me out, as they were there, with tags, for sale. Just these creepy,random items.

I honestly wonder if the owner was a clepto or a hoarder and needed a place to keep his books. Nothing was ever in decent shape, and he obviously didn't actually want people to buy anything.


#75    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postheather the fileseeker, on 08 July 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

The weirdest place I've ever been in is a used book shop in my city.
It's a normal looking place, but the thing is, they must never sell anything. I'm not kidding.
I went in looking for some out of print books, and since it was a rather well stocked place, and the books were common, I figured they'd have it. They did have one of them....But it was $3000. So I was honestly annoyed, that book is 40 bucks on ebay. So then I began looking around and noticed everything, even current books, were priced in the thousands. Not one book was under a thousand. So I asked the owner if I was reading something wrong, he said no, then swore at me and told me to leave if I wasn't going to buy. I also noticed that the place is still there, after several years, but the door is always locked even if it says it's open/lights are on.

But even weirder is that in the basement part of the shop, there was a shelf with seemingly random objects on it. There was a tin with baby teeth in it, a jar of pickles from 1963, and what I'm pretty sure was a medical icepick.....as in the lobotomy tool. I also remember seeing a bunch of monogrammed cosmetics from what looked like WWII era. Stolen,maybe?
Either way it freaked me out, as they were there, with tags, for sale. Just these creepy,random items.

I honestly wonder if the owner was a clepto or a hoarder and needed a place to keep his books. Nothing was ever in decent shape, and he obviously didn't actually want people to buy anything.
I wonder how they stay in business

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users